native feature to block calls/text (kit kat)

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
does the Nexus 5 have a native feature to block calls and text w/o having to buy a 3rd party app just like iphone iOS7 now has such feature to block unwanted calls or text. The brief moment that I had my Nexus 5, I spent a lot of time searching for the native feature and I didn't find it, had to download a 3rd party app instead.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
does the Nexus 5 have a native feature to block calls and text w/o having to buy a 3rd party app just like iphone iOS7 now has such feature to block unwanted calls or text. The brief moment that I had my Nexus 5, I spent a lot of time searching for the native feature and I didn't find it, had to download a 3rd party app instead.

I know that you can send calls from specific people directly to voicemail. I suppose that is more like "screening" than blocking.

As for blocking text? No idea.

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
What app did you install?

I don't quite remember, I think it was called "call block", but the fact is that I believe android kit Kay would have such feature as iOS7 has in its native OS. It doesn't. It makes me wonder if these 3rd party apps are contributing to more battery drain of the device.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
No, it does not have that feature natively. I use the paid version of Norton Security Anti-virus which includes this feature.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
You're welcome! I think Jerry Hildenbrand might've recommended it one day (though don't quote me on that). Either way, it's great.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Nice tip on that 3rd party app! I happened to be looking for a call blocking feature too...wasn't this feature in a previous version of the OS? Jelly Bean maybe? I thought one of the AC guys did a write-up on how to use that feature.

Edit: I came across this 3rd party app for call blocking (Call Control), seems to get pretty good user reviews: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...spect.android.everycallcontrol&token=j2Ecur4X

chestvrg

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes call control. There are plenty of them, but for some reason on the stock android Nexus5 that feature is not built-in (would be nice)

sbenson

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

Actually, yes, the Nexus 5 does have native call blocking...or rather, automatically sending calls to Voicemail.

If you combine this feature with blocking the number within Google Voice, you can completely block a number.

If you're interested, this is what I did. I created a new group within my People app and named it "Blocked Numbers." Now whenever a number calls me that I don't know or want to black list, I save that number as a contact and add it to my Blocked Numbers group. Now go into that group and select the number you want to block (do this for each number), when the contact card comes up, tap the menu button and check the box for "All calls to voicemail." This specific number will never ring through your phone again, and instead will be sent directly to voicemail.

Now, if you want this number to skip your voicemail as well and you're a Google Voice user, do the following. Log into Google Voice from your web browser and go to your inbox. Find the message/number that you previously blacklisted above and click "more" (bottom of your message, next to Call and Text) and then select "Block caller." Once this is done, the number will never ring through your phone and will never reach your voicemail inbox. Enjoy.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
That seems to be a lot of trouble to go through just to block a number when there are several paid and free apps that will do it, not to mention you have to install and configure Google Voice to do it.

sbenson

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
That seems to be a lot of trouble to go through just to block a number when there are several paid and free apps that will do it, not to mention you have to install and configure Google Voice to do it.

Well it's free and the majority of people who are tech savvy enough to consider call blocking will have Google Voice already installed. I got this entire thing setup and had a dozen numbers blocked in about 2 minutes. Couldn't be much easier.

Also, this will still work without GV, it will just skip your phone and go straight to your native voicemail.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci