[UPDATE] Canadian Customers - Nexus 5 Not Getting Voicemail Notifications

Doom4life

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Makes sense, as I think Bell, Rogers, Virgin, and Sprint are connected in some way and all are CDMA.

Telus and Bell are on the same exact network. They used to be CDMA but a few years back upgraded their networks to support HSPA+ (and now LTE) which allowed a better selection of phones, IMO.

I'm wondering if the device carrier settings need to be refreshed since we have a Telus device working.

Also, as I'm familiar with Bell, did you go onto the website and register the phone? With my Nexus 4, I had to get s Bell micro-SIM from their store and also register it to the device on the website.

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Same problem on Sprint. During a chat with tech support to set up conditional call forwarding for Google Voice (with no prompting from me), the tech stated that there is a known issue with voicemail notifications and Sprint Visual Voicemail on the Nexus 5, and that Sprint is working with Google to fix the issue in a software update.

By the way, I could never get conditional call forwarding to work either.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Telus and Bell are on the same exact network. They used to be CDMA but a few years back upgraded their networks to support HSPA+ (and now LTE) which allowed a better selection of phones, IMO.

I'm wondering if the device carrier settings need to be refreshed since we have a Telus device working.

Also, as I'm familiar with Bell, did you go onto the website and register the phone? With my Nexus 4, I had to get s Bell micro-SIM from their store and also register it to the device on the website.

I'm on Sprint, but I had to do the same process (micro sim from store, register on website, etc).

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Same problem on Sprint. During a chat with tech support to set up conditional call forwarding for Google Voice (with no prompting from me), the tech stated that there is a known issue with voicemail notifications and Sprint Visual Voicemail on the Nexus 5, and that Sprint is working with Google to fix the issue in a software update.

By the way, I could never get conditional call forwarding to work either.

I could get Google Voice to work for voicemail without much trouble, but this isn't a solution for me as I have a separate Google Voice number that forwards calls to my cell and you can only "link" one physical phone number. So if I wanted to use Google Voice for voicemail, I would lose my call forwarding on my other Google Voice number.

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Upon dialing the ^28 string when prompted by Google, I got an audio message stating that the feature is not supported. The CSR confirmed that my line is capable of conditional call forwarding, so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Dna Montreal

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, i am currently investigating this on Telus' Network and i have not found any indication that the Nexus 5 has issues on the network. seems isolated on Rogers/Bell. Could anyone confirm this??
We have tested several of our own and clients Nexus 5 - none have experienced this problem.
Possible Software issue, but at the same time can't help but think it is something related with the network as well not communicating properly with each other. (No tickets have been submitted for this issue)

Edit: i found this link http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/WDTLO-IoJeU
it seems to be affecting many Carriers in Canada such as Bell/Virgin, Rogers, Mobilicity, Videotron, AT&T USA, but Wind & Telus are not affected.

Comment directly taken from the site: "Issue does not appear with Wind Mobile or Telus in Canada."

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, i am currently investigating this on Telus' Network and i have not found any indication that the Nexus 5 has issues on the network. seems isolated on Rogers/Bell. Could anyone confirm this??
We have tested several of our own and clients Nexus 5 - none have experienced this problem.
Possible Software issue, but at the same time can't help but think it is something related with the network as well not communicating properly with each other. (No tickets have been submitted for this issue)

Edit: i found this link Google Groups
it seems to be affecting many Carriers in Canada such as Bell/Virgin, Rogers, Mobilicity, Videotron, AT&T USA, but Wind & Telus are not affected.

Comment directly taken from the site: "Issue does not appear with Wind Mobile or Telus in Canada."

I have not heard of Telus users having this issue. Sprint, Virgin, Bell, and Rogers users are having this problem. This affects more than just Canada (people in the USA and Puerto Rico have reported the same issue).

UN4GTBL

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't work for me here on Rogers.

I don't even get the annoying text from Rogers anymore about a voicemail. Weird.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Ok, the response from Bell Technical Support (which is who Virgin Mobile Canada) transferred me to is as follows...

"Our engineers have tested it based on the information you gave us and was able to recreate the problem. It appears that it is indeed a software issue and we are working with Google to fix this. Google has a patch forthcoming but it is up to them when they push it out".

Pass the buck, rubber stamp, amen!

thehabsonice

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I am with Videotron (in Montreal) and I am having the same issue, no notification for the voicemails. I will contact them and see what they say but I'm glad that Google is aware.

arjunamin

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Just reporting in as well, same issue persisting on Virgin Mobile Canada network in Southwestern Ontario...haven't come across any possible fixes yet, hopefully it's included in the next update.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Just reporting in as well, same issue persisting on Virgin Mobile Canada network in Southwestern Ontario...haven't come across any possible fixes yet, hopefully it's included in the next update.

I'm in Toronto and when I spoke with Tech Support (who transfered me to Bell) they said that Google is working, with the carriers, on a patch but they will roll it out when they roll it out. Until they I could "continue to power cycle the phone if I want to check for messages" to which I replied "Or I could just press and hold 1 and call my voicemail after a missed call rather than turning my phone on and off all the time". "Oh, yes, you could do that too".

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm in Toronto and when I spoke with Tech Support (who transfered me to Bell) they said that Google is working, with the carriers, on a patch but they will roll it out when they roll it out. Until they I could "continue to power cycle the phone if I want to check for messages" to which I replied "Or I could just press and hold 1 and call my voicemail after a missed call rather than turning my phone on and off all the time". "Oh, yes, you could do that too".

At least your tech support guy had some sort of clue about it. When I spoke to Rogers tech support they had no idea what I was talking about, even when I told them I found information on the Internet saying it's a known bug they still insisted running me through steps to "turn on notification" in my rogers voicemail (which of course solved nothing). After about 45 minutes on the phone the Rogers tech support guy says "Oh Nexus phone, is that running Android?" I almost fell off my chair. LOL

traukon

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info all. Just logged on here and glad to see that I am not the only one after unknowingly missed some of my vmails this weekend... learning about this the hardware way. I just got my phone on Friday. With Rogers, same issues.

Posted via Android Central App

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.

Hopefully the carriers get something out soon. I would like to begin receiving voice mail notifications so I don't have to shake the magic 8ball to see if I have messages.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781