N5 battery down to 58% overnight, normal?

6packer

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I went to bed last night with ~97% charged. I plugged in the USB connector but didn't push in far enough so it didn't charge. About 7 hrs later, I checked the phone and it showed 58%.
Hmm. Who said it has all day battery?

AaronTV

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Mine loses maybe 5% sitting idle overnight. So there is something unusual going on in your situation.

Posted with Nexus 5 via Android Central App

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. Mine holds its charge similarly well when asleep/idle. What processes does your battery stats show is being used?

Posted from my N5 via the Android Central App

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah you have something mega funky going on for it to drain that much over 7 hours.

I think I lost somewhere around 11% over 8 hours but that includes a little facebook here, a little email there, my alarm going off and a few text messages.

Turn off features you aren't using. There is a thread on here somewhere about extending battery life. Turn off the features you aren't using and tune your phone to be a little more efficient.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Might be his signal strength... I know in my apartment I get almost NO cell service unless I am outside the door/on the porch... if my WiFi gets turned off my battery can go from 100% down to 20% overnight but if I am on WiFi it doesn't even lose 1/2 that much...

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I went to bed last night with ~97% charged. I plugged in the USB connector but didn't push in far enough so it didn't charge. About 7 hrs later, I checked the phone and it showed 58%.
Hmm. Who said it has all day battery?
Definitely not. There is probably a rogue app eating your battery.

I lose 0% overnight, unplugged with the screen off. Seriously.

(Are you in a hot environment? That will drain the battery even at idle I think)

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Check to see if you have a program running in the background. Happen to me the other night (drain 18% over 7 hours) Last night, it only drop 3% over 8 hours.

Posted via Android Central App

PriitE

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Check to see if you have a program running in the background. Happen to me the other night (drain 18% over 7 hours) Last night, it only drop 3% over 8 hours.

Posted via Android Central App
How to check for the rogue app?

Last edited:

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
SETTINGS >>> APPS >>> RUNNING

It will give you a list of apps currently running. I usually have

Settings
com.qualcomm.qcrilms..
Google Play Services
Google Play Services
ICS Phase Beam Live Wallpaper
Google Keyboard

Thats it. Facebook I do a FORCE STOP on all the time cause that sucker likes to run in the background. Everything else I currently have isn't naughty and doesn't run when I don't want it to.

PriitE

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
SETTINGS >>> APPS >>> RUNNING

It will give you a list of apps currently running. I usually have

Settings
com.qualcomm.qcrilms..
Google Play Services
Google Play Services
ICS Phase Beam Live Wallpaper
Google Keyboard

Thats it. Facebook I do a FORCE STOP on all the time cause that sucker likes to run in the background. Everything else I currently have isn't naughty and doesn't run when I don't want it to.
I got:
Settings
Facebook
WhatsApp
(Facebook) Messenger
com.qualcomm
Google Services
Google Services
Google Keyboard

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
make sure you close all you apps. My battery will last me about 18 hours that's with leaving OK Google on receiving e-mail's and text messages all day also on vibrate.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Tested my N5 over night battery drain on idle two different nights and both times after 8 to 9 hours I was at 96% battery. Plus I only have one bar signal (-110 dBm) from inside my house so I should be using more battery than people with a stronger cell signal.

Do you ever close Apps with the two rectangles on the soft buttons by swiping them off the screen to close them?

Try it again tonight but turn something off like bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi ... etc and if all that is off try putting the phone into airplane mode to see if the cell signal is what is draining the battery. Try doing them one at a time to see where the issue is but always reboot before you unplug your phone to start the overnight test.

Last edited:

PriitE

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Tested my N5 over night battery drain on idle two different nights and both times after 8 to 9 hours I was at 96% battery. Plus I only have one bar signal (-110 dBm) from inside my house so I should be using more battery than people with a stronger cell signal.

Do you ever close Apps with the two rectangles on the soft buttons by swiping them off the screen to close them?

Try it again tonight but turn something off like bluetooth, NFC, Wi-Fi ... etc and if all that is off try putting the phone into airplane mode to see if the cell signal is what is draining the battery. Try doing them one at a time to see where the issue is but always reboot before you unplug your phone to start the overnight test.
Yeah, going to try airplane mode tonight and see how much battery it takes over night. If only few % then will try closing all apps tomorrow and so on until I find the cause. The problem might be in the 1 bar LTE signal but can't say for sure.

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
How to check for the rogue app?

Setting > Apps > you then could see whats running. I also used Greenify (must be rooted) to put apps in Hibernated mode. I drop 3% over 7 hours last night with Wifi on and crappy AT&t signal at my house. Much better then the night before.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I literally slept 7 hours and mind drained 2 percent. What all have you tried

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

6packer

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Tried again last night. From 100 to 74% in 6hr 40 mins. The following Apps were on: Google, Facebook, Gmail, Outlook, Alarm clock, battery. The little LED light on the phone came on and off sometimes.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Tried again last night. From 100 to 74% in 6hr 40 mins. The following Apps were on: Google, Facebook, Gmail, Outlook, Alarm clock, battery. The little LED light on the phone came on and off sometimes.

I had open Facebook messenger, aim, alarm , gmail and a couple others. I went from 100% to 98% in just over 7 hours.

Have you tried a system restore ? How do you charge ? Drain fully and charge or just charge whenever ? Just curious

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site

This is definitely not normal behavior. What are your sync times set to on the gmail and outlook apps? What apps are using the most power (look in your battery tab under the settings). It sounds like your phone is working very hard even in the background.