Nexus 5 Battery drops to 99%

win465

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I am having a problem every night i plug my nexus 5 to charge and then in the morning when i take it off the charger i look at the battery level and it instantly turns to 99%. Every morning when I take my nexus 5 off the charger the battery level drops to 99%. Why does this happen? why doesn't my nexus 5 want to stay at a 100%?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
They all do that; the Nexus 4's do it also.

Could just be the rounding algorithm; maybe 99.999% rounds DOWN to 99% rather than UP to 100%. If that is the case, the phone could never remain at exactly 100% for more than a second or two.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Miine usually says "Charged" when I pull it off the charger and then it will drop to 99 maybe a minute or two after it's been off the charger, every phone I've ever owned after a week or so it will drop to 99 rather quickly, the original EVO 4G use to go from straight off the charger to 90%.. lol.. Damn you Wi-Max... I don't plug mine up I am using the older Nexus 4 wireless charging hockey puck (I can't imagine that makes a difference, although it does charge faster via Qi vs USB?? This thing has a SLOW charge when hooked on the USB charger)

GoBigRed79

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
When your phone hits 100% it stops charging to avoid overcharging the battery. It will drop to 1% or 2% before topping it off again. This is normal for almost all phones.

JonK

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Estimating the energy left in a battery is an extremely imprecise science. Generally above 90% it is very difficult to tell what the actual charge is. That is why some phones stop charging anywhere between 90 and 100. Thats also why some phones seem to die from 100-90 very quickly.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
When your phone hits 100% it stops charging to avoid overcharging the battery. It will drop to 1% or 2% before topping it off again. This is normal for almost all phones.

This. No phones keeps charging the entire time it's plugged in - and you wouldn't want it to.

turbodmac

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I am having a problem every night i plug my nexus 5 to charge and then in the morning when i take it off the charger i look at the battery level and it instantly turns to 99%. Every morning when I take my nexus 5 off the charger the battery level drops to 99%. Why does this happen? why doesn't my nexus 5 want to stay at a 100%?

In all seriousness, how many days/cycles do you have on your battery? Mine does actually stay at 100% until I get a bit of screen use and it updates.
Screenshot_2013-11-13-06-37-17.jpg

It dropped to 99% after BTing the screenshot to my Mac...

SeanBlader

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
It dropped to 99% after BTing the screenshot to my Mac...

Careful what this guy says, he's obviously an Apple Fanboy. ;-P

On topic though, OP, I think you should get rid of that POS phone and get a new one. I think I might be able to manage with a phone that only charges to 99%, I mean it will be a terrible struggle to get through the day, and I'll probably be exclaiming FML a lot, but for you, I think I'll take that hit. Seriously, PM me and I'll get you my address where you can ship your little turd.

Adamsberg

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Exactly the cause for the % behavior :)

Android phones of the first generation showed this dropping while charging.
But this confused the user ... and now, when our phones reaches 100% then they stay on showing 100%.
So if your phone has really 99% but shows 100% and you unplug it, then it will show its real 99% :)

NexusNick123

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I get 15-17 Hours of battery with my N5 and I'm happy with that.. I never noticed if mean did this but even if it does if you get a full day battery why let it bother you.. Just saying not trying to be rude.. :)