01-05-2014 02:03 PM
105 1234 ...
tools
    You don't have to. I'm not a market expert, and even if I was there's some disagreement about Apple's approach for the long haul. But a recent Forbes article titled "Apple can ignore Android market share stats all the way to the bank" sums it up nicely for this lay person.
    Well, as an end user, I am ok with Apple making as much money as they want. As long as their closed system is not the standard. I am not cheerleading Android...I am cheerleading "open" and "choice", and right now Android is the captain of that squad.

But that being said...marketshare does matter.
    "Apple's profits fetish could spell its DOOM" - Apple's profits fetish could spell its DOOM € The Register
    JenTDOT likes this.
    11-13-2013 10:44 AM
    Nothing against Apple, I think they do great work. That said I am in the market for a change and I am thinking about the Moto X. In fact I am almost sure it is going to be the Moto X. My contract is up in a couple weeks. If Apple does come out with a bigger screen iPhone next year I will look at it. No guarantees though.
    11-13-2013 10:48 AM
    Without Apple bashing, the weird thing to me is the lack of choice. Apple has offered choices before in their other products. They sell more than one kind of music player for example. And I don't mean price...a nano is not just an expensive version of the shuffle. I don't know why they won't do the same thing with phones.
    11-13-2013 10:55 AM
    Nothing against Apple, I think they do great work. That said I am in the market for a change and I am thinking about the Moto X. In fact I am almost sure it is going to be the Moto X. My contract is up in a couple weeks. If Apple does come out with a bigger screen iPhone next year I will look at it. No guarantees though.
    Maybe consider a very reasonably priced and quite good nexus 5 as a holdover, then next year you can choose from the iPhone 6 and and the moto x 2? In the meantime you'd have a great phone that might just cause you to forget about Motorola and Apple altogether lol.

Posted from my N5 via the Android Central App
    11-13-2013 12:44 PM
    Well, as an end user, I am ok with Apple making as much money as they want. As long as their closed system is not the standard. I am not cheerleading Android...I am cheerleading "open" and "choice", and right now Android is the captain of that squad.

But that being said...marketshare does matter.
    "Apple's profits fetish could spell its DOOM" - Apple's profits fetish could spell its DOOM • The Register
    Here's my pithy and admittedly non empirical response to that contention: overall market share absolutely does *not* matter, unless and until we begin to see a dearth of middle and upper class purchasers with money to burn...and/or those that actually can afford the iPhone premium begin to view it as a product that doesn't warrant its sticker price....due to a decline in manufacturing quality or whatever.

Til then, I'd wager they're golden.

11-13-2013 01:01 PM
    Maybe consider a very reasonably priced and quite good nexus 5 as a holdover, then next year you can choose from the iPhone 6 and and the moto x 2? In the meantime you'd have a great phone that might just cause you to forget about Motorola and Apple altogether lol.

Problem is I am not in the US. Its too much drama to get an N5 here in Mexico which on MercadoLibre (our eBay) costs more than a Moto X from the same source. Were I in the US I would surely pick up a N5. But the Moto can come with my contract renewal , no drama.

Tapatalking on the N7....
    11-13-2013 03:55 PM
    Somethings were easier to do on iOS but that could be my learning curve on the Android. My biggest complaint so far is how apps look on my Nexus. Some look great where as others look blurry due to the scaling. Ever App that I used on the iPhone was designed for the screen/resolution so it looked great. Even some App icons look blurry and that takes away the experience for me. However, I have been searching for highly recommended Apps and those have been quite good. I am also having some difficulty switching from iCloud since all of my contacts, calendars, notes etc. are on it and switching over has been time consuming.
    Just curious, but which apps have you found this with? I've never heard of this happening with Android phones, only tablets (specifically, the N10). Not questioning your experience at all, just curious to know where you've seen this.

Also, if you want some better looking icons, there are icon packages you can download off the Play Store to customize your icons. If you don't want to mess with a third-party launcher, check out Desktop Visualizer to apply the icons. It takes a little bit of effort, but like most things in Android, if you put the time into it, you can get your phone to look/behave pretty much however you want it to.
    11-13-2013 04:16 PM
    Thanks for all the feedback. I love my 5s just really wish it had a bigger screen. I think I am going to give the Nexus 5 a try.
    Does your fingerprint button work consistently?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-13-2013 05:49 PM
    Just curious, but which apps have you found this with? I've never heard of this happening with Android phones, only tablets (specifically, the N10). Not questioning your experience at all, just curious to know where you've seen this.

Also, if you want some better looking icons, there are icon packages you can download off the Play Store to customize your icons. If you don't want to mess with a third-party launcher, check out Desktop Visualizer to apply the icons. It takes a little bit of effort, but like most things in Android, if you put the time into it, you can get your phone to look/behave pretty much however you want it to.
    Some of the Apps that I have been a little disappointed with are CNN (blurry icon), RBC for my banking where the App looks blurry and navigation is different and doesn't feel as polished. 1Password is one of my favourite on my Mac and iPhone/iPad but on the Android, it is just a joke. Terrible implementation and read only. You can't even add new passwords. I deleted a few apps right away because of how they looked so I don't have it on my phone any more.

I am very happy with the Nexus 5 and plan to keep it but really hope that some of these apps that I use regularly will be updated soon.
    11-13-2013 06:11 PM
    I went from the 5s back to Android. The camera is the only thing I miss

Posted via Android Central App
    11-13-2013 07:25 PM
    I have an iPhone 5 right now and have ordered a nexus 5. I already have a nexus 7 so I understand android and what it can and can't do as well as iOS. For me, it came down to customization of the look and fell of the device, and screen size. I have big hands, and while I don't find texting on the iPhone troublesome, the size of the phone overall feels to small for me

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    11-13-2013 10:17 PM
    I switched 18 months ago from years of using apple to Android. For me I seriously effing hated iTunes and iTunes Match. I couldn't get wireless sync to work right, iTunes kept crashing my server (tried 3 different machines), and iTunes Match is a joke. The one big huge breath of fresh air is using the Cloud to sync, and not relying on PC-based sync'ing.

But...I still own probably $50K of AAPL between my 401(k) and kids savings accounts, so I think you need to not only stick with the 5s, but also buy one for all your friends. And their friends.
    11-13-2013 11:14 PM
    I have an iPhone 5s and recently got the Nexus 5. I have AT&T so it makes it easy to just switch the sim between devices with an adapter. I am deeply tied into the Apple eco system, with multiple Mac's, iPads, etc. All my family and friends are also all Apple people. So far I am really liking the Nexus 5. I love the screen size and it is such a smooth phone. I haven't had any problems in my first week. The battery life is always what scares me away from Android, but amazingly so far the battery life is better then I was getting with my 5s, so I am happy. I would say the biggest thing I miss so far from the iOS side is iMessage. It has been hard to give that up! I have been missing a lot of texts because people are still trying to use iMessage. I have tried to make sure iMessage is deactivated on all devices and unregistered my iPhone, but I know I am still missing texts..hopefully that problem will go away soon. I plan on keeping my iPhone for awhile to make sure I don't miss it to much.
    I'm curious to know which adapter you're using for your SIM? I don't want to purchase one of the ones that get stuck in the device...

I have an iPhone 5s and the Nexus 5. The Nexus 5 definitely takes some getting use to. I haven't had an Android device in over a year and several things have changed. I definitely enjoy the Nexus 5 more than I enjoyed the GS3 I had. I'm apprehensive about leaving my iPhone because of the integration with the iPad and Mac. Additionally, I share calendars and reminders with other iPhone users. As much as I enjoy the Nexus 5, I'm debating sending it back because it pains me to think of all the use it may not see from me...

I will say do not do a straight trade for your iPhone. From an economic standpoint, you're definitely losing money on the trade. If anything, have them throw in some cash as well.
    11-13-2013 11:41 PM
    Some of the Apps that I have been a little disappointed with are CNN (blurry icon), RBC for my banking where the App looks blurry and navigation is different and doesn't feel as polished. 1Password is one of my favourite on my Mac and iPhone/iPad but on the Android, it is just a joke. Terrible implementation and read only. You can't even add new passwords. I deleted a few apps right away because of how they looked so I don't have it on my phone any more.

I am very happy with the Nexus 5 and plan to keep it but really hope that some of these apps that I use regularly will be updated soon.
    Yeah, you're right. I just downloaded the CNN app and the icon does look a little fuzzy.

One thing I've noticed with the few banking apps I've tried is that they don't really follow common Android development practices. I don't know why, but maybe it's due to tighter security restrictions. I dunno.

You might want to check out PasswordBox. I don't use it, and don't know how 1Password works, but it looks like a similar app, and it has high reviews. Might be a good replacement.
    11-14-2013 09:55 AM
    Thanks, flick0416

My Nexus 5 died on me yesterday at around 8:00 pm. That has never happened to me before with my iPhone :-( I really hope Google is able to do something about the battery drain. I hear the Camera app is also a huge drain. Do you guys know how to disable location services on the camera alone?
    11-14-2013 10:45 AM
    Well we can see all the Apple Fanboys here trying to pump up their Apple iPhones. Apple screw me over one time too many. Someone saw my Nexus 5 the other day and pulled out their gold i5S trying to impress me and I said, " I didn't know Fisher Price made cell phones with that tiny phone screen... "

Android Now Controls A Breathtaking 80% Of The Smartphone Market
    11-14-2013 11:04 AM
    Thanks, flick0416

My Nexus 5 died on me yesterday at around 8:00 pm. That has never happened to me before with my iPhone :-( I really hope Google is able to do something about the battery drain. I hear the Camera app is also a huge drain. Do you guys know how to disable location services on the camera alone?
    I had four iPhones die on me in 14 months and Apple even charged me $150 as a replacement that came with only a 30 day warranty after the 1st iPhone went out after 53 weeks. Then when the other rebuild iPhone went out after 30 days they wanted me to pay another $150 for another iPhone with another 30 day warranty on replacement.
    11-14-2013 11:08 AM
    I had four iPhones die on me in 14 months and Apple even charged me $150 as a replacement that came with only a 30 day warranty after the 1st iPhone went out after 53 weeks. Then when the other rebuild iPhone went out after 30 days they wanted me to pay another $150 for another iPhone with another 30 day warranty on replacement.
    When I said it died on me, I meant the battery :-) The phone is working great but I am a little disappointed with the battery life.
    11-14-2013 11:13 AM
    When I said it died on me, I meant the battery :-) The phone is working great but I am a little disappointed with the battery life.
    When you read iMore and people are saying the same thing about the iPhone 5s that the battery is very disappointing.
    11-14-2013 11:24 AM
    When you read iMore and people are saying the same thing about the iPhone 5s that the battery is very disappointing.
    That is too bad. I have the iPhone 5 and that was better than the iPhone 4 for me. Everyone is trying to make the device thinner and thus sacrificing battery life. I don't care if it is another mm thicker, just make sure it lasts 24 hours.
    11-14-2013 11:27 AM
    iPhone 5s, 5c battery life doesn’t stack up to Android counterparts

The iPhone 5s might be one of the most powerful smartphones on the market, but that power comes at a price. Which? Tech Daily tested eight flagship handsets to determine which phone had the longest battery life during calls and while browsing the Internet and Apple’s newest iPhones never even managed to crack the top three. When testing call time, Samsung’s Galaxy S4 smashed its competition, reaching 1,051 minutes; the HTC One died much earlier at 771 minutes, barely outlasting the Galaxy S4 mini at 746 minutes; the iPhone 5s came in fourth, lasting only 651 minutes, nearly 7 hours less than the Galaxy S4. Coming in seventh place, behind the BlackBerry Z10 and the HTC One mini, was the iPhone 5c with 564 minutes of call time. When it came to testing battery life while using the Internet, the 5s and 5c came in seventh and eighth respectively — dead last. The full chart from Which? can be found below.

Anyone switch from iPhone 5/5S to Nexus 5? Any regrets?-iphone-5s-5c-battery-life-test.jpg

Now you know why Apple doesn't make larger screens since a larger screen would really kill the battery life.
    11-14-2013 11:34 AM
    You can't really use BGR as a source for anything. They are insanely biased in favor of android. I say that as a flaming Android fanboy.
    mhettrich likes this.
    11-14-2013 12:25 PM
    Thanks, flick0416

I don't. As far as I know, it's an all or nothing proposition. However, you can go into Settings > Battery and see what is causing the biggest drain on your battery. For me (and most everybody, I'd imagine) it's the screen.

Regarding location services though, if it's eating up more battery than you'd like, you can adjust it somewhat to preserve battery (at the expense of more precise location tracking) by going to Settings > Location and adjusting the mode. Right now, mine's set to High (which I'm assuming is default, since I haven't touched it), but there are "Battery Saving" and "Device Only" modes that should reduce the hit on your battery.

Also, if you're willing to root the device, there's an app called Greenify that's supposed to work wonders for your battery. My battery life hasn't been too bad (I'm in the moderate range for usage, so I've been getting about 12-15 hours on a charge), so I haven't downloaded it personally, but it's highly rated in the Store, and I've heard a lot people speak highly of it.
    mhettrich likes this.
    11-14-2013 12:29 PM
    Now you know why Apple doesn't make larger screens since a larger screen would really kill the battery life.
    A larger screen would need a larger casing, and this could fit a larger battery.
    11-14-2013 12:56 PM
    I don't. As far as I know, it's an all or nothing proposition. However, you can go into Settings > Battery and see what is causing the biggest drain on your battery. For me (and most everybody, I'd imagine) it's the screen.

Regarding location services though, if it's eating up more battery than you'd like, you can adjust it somewhat to preserve battery (at the expense of more precise location tracking) by going to Settings > Location and adjusting the mode. Right now, mine's set to High (which I'm assuming is default, since I haven't touched it), but there are "Battery Saving" and "Device Only" modes that should reduce the hit on your battery.

Also, if you're willing to root the device, there's an app called Greenify that's supposed to work wonders for your battery. My battery life hasn't been too bad (I'm in the moderate range for usage, so I've been getting about 12-15 hours on a charge), so I haven't downloaded it personally, but it's highly rated in the Store, and I've heard a lot people speak highly of it.
    I have mine set on battery saving. I notice no decrease in location accuracy, and tremendous increase in battery life.
    flick0416 likes this.
    11-14-2013 01:00 PM
105 1234 ...