Anyone switch from iPhone 5/5S to Nexus 5? Any regrets?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, flick0416

My Nexus 5 died on me yesterday at around 8:00 pm. That has never happened to me before with my iPhone :-( I really hope Google is able to do something about the battery drain. I hear the Camera app is also a huge drain. Do you guys know how to disable location services on the camera alone?

I had four iPhones die on me in 14 months and Apple even charged me $150 as a replacement that came with only a 30 day warranty after the 1st iPhone went out after 53 weeks. Then when the other rebuild iPhone went out after 30 days they wanted me to pay another $150 for another iPhone with another 30 day warranty on replacement.

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I had four iPhones die on me in 14 months and Apple even charged me $150 as a replacement that came with only a 30 day warranty after the 1st iPhone went out after 53 weeks. Then when the other rebuild iPhone went out after 30 days they wanted me to pay another $150 for another iPhone with another 30 day warranty on replacement.

When I said it died on me, I meant the battery :) The phone is working great but I am a little disappointed with the battery life.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
iPhone 5s, 5c battery life doesn’t stack up to Android counterparts

The iPhone 5s might be one of the most powerful smartphones on the market, but that power comes at a price. Which? Tech Daily tested eight flagship handsets to determine which phone had the longest battery life during calls and while browsing the Internet and Apple’s newest iPhones never even managed to crack the top three. When testing call time, Samsung’s Galaxy S4 smashed its competition, reaching 1,051 minutes; the HTC One died much earlier at 771 minutes, barely outlasting the Galaxy S4 mini at 746 minutes; the iPhone 5s came in fourth, lasting only 651 minutes, nearly 7 hours less than the Galaxy S4. Coming in seventh place, behind the BlackBerry Z10 and the HTC One mini, was the iPhone 5c with 564 minutes of call time. When it came to testing battery life while using the Internet, the 5s and 5c came in seventh and eighth respectively — dead last. The full chart from Which? can be found below.

iphone-5s-5c-battery-life-test.jpg

Now you know why Apple doesn't make larger screens since a larger screen would really kill the battery life.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, flick0416

My Nexus 5 died on me yesterday at around 8:00 pm. That has never happened to me before with my iPhone :-( I really hope Google is able to do something about the battery drain. I hear the Camera app is also a huge drain. Do you guys know how to disable location services on the camera alone?

I don't. As far as I know, it's an all or nothing proposition. However, you can go into Settings > Battery and see what is causing the biggest drain on your battery. For me (and most everybody, I'd imagine) it's the screen.

Regarding location services though, if it's eating up more battery than you'd like, you can adjust it somewhat to preserve battery (at the expense of more precise location tracking) by going to Settings > Location and adjusting the mode. Right now, mine's set to High (which I'm assuming is default, since I haven't touched it), but there are "Battery Saving" and "Device Only" modes that should reduce the hit on your battery.

Also, if you're willing to root the device, there's an app called Greenify that's supposed to work wonders for your battery. My battery life hasn't been too bad (I'm in the moderate range for usage, so I've been getting about 12-15 hours on a charge), so I haven't downloaded it personally, but it's highly rated in the Store, and I've heard a lot people speak highly of it.

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't. As far as I know, it's an all or nothing proposition. However, you can go into Settings > Battery and see what is causing the biggest drain on your battery. For me (and most everybody, I'd imagine) it's the screen.

Regarding location services though, if it's eating up more battery than you'd like, you can adjust it somewhat to preserve battery (at the expense of more precise location tracking) by going to Settings > Location and adjusting the mode. Right now, mine's set to High (which I'm assuming is default, since I haven't touched it), but there are "Battery Saving" and "Device Only" modes that should reduce the hit on your battery.

Also, if you're willing to root the device, there's an app called Greenify that's supposed to work wonders for your battery. My battery life hasn't been too bad (I'm in the moderate range for usage, so I've been getting about 12-15 hours on a charge), so I haven't downloaded it personally, but it's highly rated in the Store, and I've heard a lot people speak highly of it.

I have mine set on battery saving. I notice no decrease in location accuracy, and tremendous increase in battery life.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
You can't really use BGR as a source for anything. They are insanely biased in favor of android. I say that as a flaming Android fanboy.

I don't know anything about BGR but this thread couldn't even be on this boards sister site iMore since it would be locked if anyone said a iPhone wasn't as good as any Android phone or tablet. My biggest issue is that I am sure a lot of the people here posting Nexus 5 issues are Apple fan's trying to make Nexus 5, Android and Google look bad. I don't like Apple but I'm not going over to their board to attack them and I still have a iPhone that is locked to AT&T. Some of these guys posting negative things about the Nexus 5 here are the same posters on this site's sister Apple board iMore talking about how great the iPhone is and Android is so bad.

You can see people on the iMore site having really issues with battery life. I have seen lots of threads about how they can't get to 5pm without having to recharge their iPhone. Now we are getting some of these Apple fan over here taking a shot at the Nexus 5's 2,300 mAh battery when that is a lot bigger than any Apple iPhone's battery. .

iPhone 5 1,440 mAh battery
iPhone 5c 1,507 mAh battery
iPhone 5s 1,570 mAh battery
Nexus 5 2,300 mAh battery

iphone-5s-5c-battery-life-test.jpg

Last edited:

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
So why are you over on the Nexus 5 board since what you post is pure Apple fan boy stuff that is only here to be a cheerleader for Apple? I have a iPhone and if I say anything like you do on iMore I would get banned. Apple iPhone's are all about one size fits all and None of them fit me with that tiny screen.

I'm simply stating that a larger case can hold a larger battery than a smaller case can. I have an iPhone 5s and a Nexus 5. I'm far from a fanboy of either.

bubba3595

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

I have had 4 iPhone 5's since launch. I do like the phone, but I have ad so many issues with it.
Defective screen
Power button not working
Home button not working
Finally the last straw to make me order the nexus 5, my iPhone "bricked itself" (words of apple support)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm simply stating that a larger case can hold a larger battery than a smaller case can. I have an iPhone 5s and a Nexus 5. I'm far from a fanboy of either.

When you posted on the 1st page you said; "I have a 5s and a 5 " before going off on how great Apple was over Android.

I thought you were saying you had a iPhone 5 not a Nexus 5 since you went into the reason why you like Apple over Android. Got tired of reading the Apple part before you got to the positive Android part. Remember Apple had a iPhone 5 before the 5c and 5s.

However I have a iPhone 4 and I still couldn't get away with posting a positive Android by third party review verses any Apple product on iMore's boards. When the iPad Mini came out and people ask about the Nexus 7 I posted a few article on the iMore page that talked about the better screen and specs on the Nexus 7 and I got a warning from everyone that anything negative about Apple there wasn't kool there.

Apple fans are like religious zealots that hate Android, Nexus, Samsung and Google. As much as I dislike Apple I like that Apple forces Android phone/tablets makers to keep making better products at a cheaper price that pushes both the Android and iOS products to better and better products.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
When you posted on the 1st page you said; "I have a 5s and a 5 " before going off on how great Apple was over Android.

I thought you were saying you had a iPhone 5 not a Nexus 5 since you went into the reason why you like Apple over Android. Got tired of reading the Apple part before you got to the positive Android part. Remember Apple had a iPhone 5 before the 5c and 5s.

However I have a iPhone 4 and I still couldn't get away with posting a positive Android by third party review verses any Apple product on iMore's boards. When the iPad Mini came out and people ask about the Nexus 7 I posted a few article on the iMore page that talked about the better screen and specs on the Nexus 7 and I got a warning from everyone that anything negative about Apple there wasn't kool there.

Apple fans are like religious zealots that hate Android, Nexus, Samsung and Google.

So bottom line, you didn't read my post and deemed me an Apple fanboy even though i talked just as good about the n5 as i did the 5s. Just because i called it the 5 instead of the n5? You missed all the parts where I said great things about android. Selective reading at it's best. I think you are the one that is a fanboy.

flick0416

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

Dude, best sit this one out. Zendroid's post was really fair and objective. If you're not level-headed enough to accept that there are positives to Apple products, maybe you shouldn't be posting about this stuff.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
So bottom line, you didn't read my post and deemed me an Apple fanboy even though i talked just as good about the n5 as i did the 5s. Just because i called it the 5 instead of the n5? You missed all the parts where I said great things about android. Selective reading at it's best. I think you are the one that is a fanboy.

Well what you posted below in that quote still hasn't disproved my theory on your fandom.

So the jury is still out. I'm currently switching back and forth between the 2. My mind is not made up yet. I really want the 5 to win but I'm not sold yet. I hope this is unbiased a summary as you can get. I'm not a fanboy of either platform. I know some of my comments are subjective so take them as you will.

I admit I hate Apple to the core but Blackberry, Microsoft Windows or Android are going to have to compete for my business by staying the best product.

5sgte

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Apple fans are like religious zealots that hate Android, Nexus, Samsung and Google. As much as I dislike Apple I like that Apple forces Android phone/tablets makers to keep making better products at a cheaper price that pushes both the Android and iOS products to better and better products.

Apple fan here, coming from an iPhone 2, 3G, 4, 4s, and currently 5. Tried a Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, and currently have a rooted Nook HD+ on CM10.1.

Walked into this thread because I have a NIB Nexus 5 on hand that I'm considering opening and using, and possibly selling my unlocked iPhone 5 for. Very surprised that everyone here was very mature. Just wanted to say that YOU are the "Apple fanboys" that you speak of, just from the Android side. I think Android fanboys are far worse than Apple fanboys. That said, I'm probably going to post my iPhone 5 on craigslist tonight and open my Nexus 5 if there are any takers.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
LOL dude, I've had a 3G, a 3GS and a 4 (which lasted me 3 years). My iPhone did EVERYTHING I could ever ask from a phone. Well, not EVERYTHING but most things ;)

Anyways point being that for many years I have been an Apple consumer. I use iTunes exclusively, have all my album artwork, blah blah blah. Apps out the wazoo.

Then I discovered android on the recommendation of a friend. I started comparing the two in terms of their viability for ME.

I don't think I will look back (never say never). This N5 can do everything my iPhone 4 could but faster, better and cheaper. Half the price of an iPhone 5S unlocked? Hell my old iphone 4 is on ebay right now (3 years old 16gb model, locked) selling for 106.00 right now. It will probably push 130.00 before the auction is over. More bang for the buck, better updates, more community involvement. I'm happy where I am at and I can still say I use iTunes and an iPad. Just wish that Double Twist app would get updated for the Nexus 5 so I could import all my iTunes music onto my N5 and play it nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy