01-05-2014 02:03 PM
105 12345
tools
    You can't really use BGR as a source for anything. They are insanely biased in favor of android. I say that as a flaming Android fanboy.
    I don't know anything about BGR but this thread couldn't even be on this boards sister site iMore since it would be locked if anyone said a iPhone wasn't as good as any Android phone or tablet. My biggest issue is that I am sure a lot of the people here posting Nexus 5 issues are Apple fan's trying to make Nexus 5, Android and Google look bad. I don't like Apple but I'm not going over to their board to attack them and I still have a iPhone that is locked to AT&T. Some of these guys posting negative things about the Nexus 5 here are the same posters on this site's sister Apple board iMore talking about how great the iPhone is and Android is so bad.

You can see people on the iMore site having really issues with battery life. I have seen lots of threads about how they can't get to 5pm without having to recharge their iPhone. Now we are getting some of these Apple fan over here taking a shot at the Nexus 5's 2,300 mAh battery when that is a lot bigger than any Apple iPhone's battery. .

iPhone 5 1,440 mAh battery
    iPhone 5c 1,507 mAh battery
    iPhone 5s 1,570 mAh battery
    Nexus 5 2,300 mAh battery

Anyone switch from iPhone 5/5S to Nexus 5? Any regrets?-iphone-5s-5c-battery-life-test.jpg
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    11-14-2013 01:15 PM
    I deleted.
    11-14-2013 01:22 PM
    So why are you over on the Nexus 5 board since what you post is pure Apple fan boy stuff that is only here to be a cheerleader for Apple? I have a iPhone and if I say anything like you do on iMore I would get banned. Apple iPhone's are all about one size fits all and None of them fit me with that tiny screen.
    I'm simply stating that a larger case can hold a larger battery than a smaller case can. I have an iPhone 5s and a Nexus 5. I'm far from a fanboy of either.
    11-14-2013 01:33 PM
    I had four iPhones die on me in 14 months and Apple even charged me $150 as a replacement that came with only a 30 day warranty after the 1st iPhone went out after 53 weeks. Then when the other rebuild iPhone went out after 30 days they wanted me to pay another $150 for another iPhone with another 30 day warranty on replacement.
    I have had 4 iPhone 5's since launch. I do like the phone, but I have ad so many issues with it.
    Defective screen
    Power button not working
    Home button not working
    Finally the last straw to make me order the nexus 5, my iPhone "bricked itself" (words of apple support)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    11-14-2013 01:47 PM
    I'm simply stating that a larger case can hold a larger battery than a smaller case can. I have an iPhone 5s and a Nexus 5. I'm far from a fanboy of either.
    When you posted on the 1st page you said; "I have a 5s and a 5 " before going off on how great Apple was over Android.

I thought you were saying you had a iPhone 5 not a Nexus 5 since you went into the reason why you like Apple over Android. Got tired of reading the Apple part before you got to the positive Android part. Remember Apple had a iPhone 5 before the 5c and 5s.

However I have a iPhone 4 and I still couldn't get away with posting a positive Android by third party review verses any Apple product on iMore's boards. When the iPad Mini came out and people ask about the Nexus 7 I posted a few article on the iMore page that talked about the better screen and specs on the Nexus 7 and I got a warning from everyone that anything negative about Apple there wasn't kool there.

Apple fans are like religious zealots that hate Android, Nexus, Samsung and Google. As much as I dislike Apple I like that Apple forces Android phone/tablets makers to keep making better products at a cheaper price that pushes both the Android and iOS products to better and better products.
    11-14-2013 01:53 PM
    When you posted on the 1st page you said; "I have a 5s and a 5 " before going off on how great Apple was over Android.

I thought you were saying you had a iPhone 5 not a Nexus 5 since you went into the reason why you like Apple over Android. Got tired of reading the Apple part before you got to the positive Android part. Remember Apple had a iPhone 5 before the 5c and 5s.

However I have a iPhone 4 and I still couldn't get away with posting a positive Android by third party review verses any Apple product on iMore's boards. When the iPad Mini came out and people ask about the Nexus 7 I posted a few article on the iMore page that talked about the better screen and specs on the Nexus 7 and I got a warning from everyone that anything negative about Apple there wasn't kool there.

Apple fans are like religious zealots that hate Android, Nexus, Samsung and Google.
    So bottom line, you didn't read my post and deemed me an Apple fanboy even though i talked just as good about the n5 as i did the 5s. Just because i called it the 5 instead of the n5? You missed all the parts where I said great things about android. Selective reading at it's best. I think you are the one that is a fanboy.
    flick0416 likes this.
    11-14-2013 01:56 PM

Dude, best sit this one out. Zendroid's post was really fair and objective. If you're not level-headed enough to accept that there are positives to Apple products, maybe you shouldn't be posting about this stuff.
    11-14-2013 02:18 PM
    So bottom line, you didn't read my post and deemed me an Apple fanboy even though i talked just as good about the n5 as i did the 5s. Just because i called it the 5 instead of the n5? You missed all the parts where I said great things about android. Selective reading at it's best. I think you are the one that is a fanboy.
    Well what you posted below in that quote still hasn't disproved my theory on your fandom.

So the jury is still out. I'm currently switching back and forth between the 2. My mind is not made up yet. I really want the 5 to win but I'm not sold yet. I hope this is unbiased a summary as you can get. I'm not a fanboy of either platform. I know some of my comments are subjective so take them as you will.
    I admit I hate Apple to the core but Blackberry, Microsoft Windows or Android are going to have to compete for my business by staying the best product.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    11-14-2013 02:18 PM
    Apple fans are like religious zealots that hate Android, Nexus, Samsung and Google. As much as I dislike Apple I like that Apple forces Android phone/tablets makers to keep making better products at a cheaper price that pushes both the Android and iOS products to better and better products.
    Apple fan here, coming from an iPhone 2, 3G, 4, 4s, and currently 5. Tried a Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, and currently have a rooted Nook HD+ on CM10.1.

Walked into this thread because I have a NIB Nexus 5 on hand that I'm considering opening and using, and possibly selling my unlocked iPhone 5 for. Very surprised that everyone here was very mature. Just wanted to say that YOU are the "Apple fanboys" that you speak of, just from the Android side. I think Android fanboys are far worse than Apple fanboys. That said, I'm probably going to post my iPhone 5 on craigslist tonight and open my Nexus 5 if there are any takers.
    11-14-2013 03:22 PM
    LOL dude, I've had a 3G, a 3GS and a 4 (which lasted me 3 years). My iPhone did EVERYTHING I could ever ask from a phone. Well, not EVERYTHING but most things

Anyways point being that for many years I have been an Apple consumer. I use iTunes exclusively, have all my album artwork, blah blah blah. Apps out the wazoo.

Then I discovered android on the recommendation of a friend. I started comparing the two in terms of their viability for ME.

I don't think I will look back (never say never). This N5 can do everything my iPhone 4 could but faster, better and cheaper. Half the price of an iPhone 5S unlocked? Hell my old iphone 4 is on ebay right now (3 years old 16gb model, locked) selling for 106.00 right now. It will probably push 130.00 before the auction is over. More bang for the buck, better updates, more community involvement. I'm happy where I am at and I can still say I use iTunes and an iPad. Just wish that Double Twist app would get updated for the Nexus 5 so I could import all my iTunes music onto my N5 and play it nicely.
    11-14-2013 03:32 PM
    I buy music on iTunes all the time, but man, I hate using iTunes itself. That would be a huge minus to me if i was forced to use it to transfer stuff to and from my phone.

I use iTunes because their library is just so big I can't ignore it. It's the most convenient place to buy MP3s. But I hate that software with a passion. (on the plus side, nowadays they actually let you download non-DRM files)
    11-14-2013 03:55 PM
    I don't know anything about BGR
    Your link was from BGR's website. BGR is a known Android cheerleader...they are heavily biased. You won't convince anyone of anything using them as a source. It would be like using "9 to 5 Mac" or "macrumors.com" as a source proving that iPhones have better battery life...no one would it seriously. Just sayin. \

iPhone 5 1,440 mAh battery
    iPhone 5c 1,507 mAh battery
    iPhone 5s 1,570 mAh battery
    Nexus 5 2,300 mAh battery
    I can tell you from experience that mAh is only part of the story...the Nexus 5 would get much better battery life than the Nexus 4 even with the same sized battery, simply because the CPU is more efficient. Bigger is never a bad thing, but bigger does not necessarily mean more battery life.

I can tell you that I have seen many reviews of the Nexus 5 and none of them agree with that chart with regards to battery life. There is no way that the GS4 is twice as good as the iPhone on battery life either. Not with the stock battery.
    11-14-2013 04:03 PM
    I buy music on iTunes all the time, but man, I hate using iTunes itself. That would be a huge minus to me if i was forced to use it to transfer stuff to and from my phone.

I use iTunes because their library is just so big I can't ignore it. It's the most convenient place to buy MP3s. But I hate that software with a passion. (on the plus side, nowadays they actually let you download non-DRM files)
    What are you using to send music to your Nexus? Is there a player out there like Double Twist that IS nice and pretty and functional with the Nexus 5? I'm a bit of an audiophile so I want my music, my playlists, my album covers, I want it all sexy sexy on mah new phone!
    11-14-2013 06:22 PM
    What are you using to send music to your Nexus? Is there a player out there like Double Twist that IS nice and pretty and functional with the Nexus 5? I'm a bit of an audiophile so I want my music, my playlists, my album covers, I want it all sexy sexy on mah new phone!
    Nothing. Maintain my library as individual MP3s, and just copy them to the phone manually like a USB drive. Or I just download to the phone.

Since they are mp3s I can customize them myself. All have embedded lyrics and album covers and other metadata.
    11-14-2013 09:53 PM
    This will be how I will be moving data, photo, video and music.

SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive

Mobile Wi-Fi clients, such as smartphone and tablets, can use a mobile app (each Connect Wireless drives has a mobile app of its own, available for Android, iOS, and Kindle Fire platforms) to play back contents stored on the Connect Wireless drives or back up user-generated contents onto them, wirelessly.

It automatically organized content into four categories, Videos, Photos, Music, and Files, regardless of the location you copy the file to, be it the Media Drive's internal storage or the connected SD card. The drive scans for new media files in real time; this process took a very short time in my trials. For example, just about a second after I had inserted an SD card, movies and photos stored on the card had already appeared in the respective category.

Alternatively, you can access the drive's storage via folders and subfolders.

You can swipe through a photo album or folder quite conveniently. You can also play a file or an album automatically, or add the file to the mobile device to play back later. When viewing a photo, you also have options to share it via social media or e-mail. All of these options are tightly integrated. With music, background playing is supported, meaning the music will stay on when you close the app to open another app. This is a great feature if you want to listen to music and check your e-mail at the same time.

Attachment 91938
    11-14-2013 10:16 PM
    I have been using all the apple products since day one but nexus 5 is the best I used so far except the camera , I used galaxy 3, note2, galaxy s4, all these are filled with bloated ware where nexus 5 is faster and more pleasing

Posted via Android Central App
    11-14-2013 10:56 PM
    Thinking about picking up a Nexus 5 ... Currently have the iPhone 5s (Love it) however as some of us share the same gadget addiction I am drooling to get my hands on a Nexus 5. Found a straight trade for my iPhone 5s to Nexus 5 (NIB) ... Just a little on the fence. I am heavily invested in both ecosystems so that wouldn't be a factor. Anyone here prefer their Nexus 5 to their iPhone 5/5s?
    here's my experience
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/goo...s-experts.html
    11-18-2013 01:46 PM
    In the same boat as you man. I've been an iPhone user for a long time now and I'm thinking of switching from iPhone 5 to N5 too. For me, iOS 7 killed it. Too many bugs, crashes, lags and battery drains. However, I'm facing a lot of confusion regarding whether I should make the switch or not. I'm seriously going to miss the lack of gorgeous + functional apps that I have on my iPhone (Clear, Comic Zeal, Readable, Tweetbot, Sunrise Calendar etc.) since Android apps are downright ugly (exceptions exist, of course). I own a N7, and I love the syncing capabilities plus the customization it offers, as well as seamless data sharing between apps. And those things also matter to me (since iOS completely sucks in this department).
    MAN I'M SO DAMN CONFUSED.
    Also, any N5 user out there? How's the speakers? I've heard that they are pretty bad. And how is the headphone jack output? I've heard that the audio chip inside the N5 is pretty sub par too. (I listen to a lot of music..) I own a pair of Skullcandy Ink'd 2, and they are awesome with my i5. Will they be equally as good on the N5?
    11-22-2013 02:44 AM
    In the same boat as you man. I've been an iPhone user for a long time now and I'm thinking of switching from iPhone 5 to N5 too. For me, iOS 7 killed it. Too many bugs, crashes, lags and battery drains.
    The irony is that the stuff iOS7 added was stuff Android has already had for a while now. Those lags and drains are on the result of playing catch up...imagine how much worse it would be if they actually started adding iOS-specific features.

However, I'm facing a lot of confusion regarding whether I should make the switch or not. I'm seriously going to miss the lack of gorgeous + functional apps that I have on my iPhone (Clear, Comic Zeal, Readable, Tweetbot, Sunrise Calendar etc.) since Android apps are downright ugly (exceptions exist, of course).
    That will change, but not soon. That is one of the benefits to a closed system.

Also, any N5 user out there?
    I'm one.

How's the speakers?
    Average. I don't think they are exceptional, but they don't suck. They are better than the Nexus 4.

And how is the headphone jack output?
    Good. I'm not an audiophile, but I do not hear any hissing or static.

I've heard that the audio chip inside the N5 is pretty sub par too. (I listen to a lot of music..)
    This is something you can probably test for yourself with a store unit.
    11-22-2013 09:42 AM
    I upgraded from iPhone 5. I had the 4 then the 5 and was really getting bored with iOS. I was hoping iOS 7 would have been the thing that kept me with apple but that didn't happen. Got my nexie and couldn't be happier. The ability to change up the home screen with widgets should keep me from being overly bored like I ended up with 3 years of iOS .

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-22-2013 09:58 AM
    Your link was from BGR's website. BGR is a known Android cheerleader...they are heavily biased. You won't convince anyone of anything using them as a source. It would be like using "9 to 5 Mac" or "macrumors.com" as a source proving that iPhones have better battery life...no one would it seriously. Just sayin. \
    I dont like BGR either, but of all places to look for bias, a review of Apple's biggest flagship would be the first place I'd look. And I'm not seeing it.
    11-22-2013 10:20 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. So, what would be your suggestion? Should I go ahead and buy N5, or should I wait for the N6 (and therefore, Android 5)? I personally think that the platform, by then, would be having a great deal of amazing apps, plus more stability. But since I'm too damn smitten by N5 and KitKat, I don't know whether I should wait or just trade in my i5
    11-22-2013 11:22 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. So, what would be your suggestion?
    What is most important to you? Neither phone will do everything the best. So you should identify the main things you care about and pick a phone based on those things.

Should I go ahead and buy N5, or should I wait for the N6 (and therefore, Android 5)?
    I would not buy anything unless you are reasonably sure you will like it better than what you already have.

I personally think that the platform, by then, would be having a great deal of amazing apps, plus more stability.
    Apps are subjective, but I have found Android to be extremely stable since at least the Nexus 4. The HTC Rezound I had before that was also very stable.

iOS is actually not as stable as people think it is. The OS is just better at covering up crashes. - Do iOS Apps Crash More Than Android Apps? A Data Dive - Forbes - And I do not mean to diminish this...Android should cover up crashes this well too.

But since I'm too damn smitten by N5 and KitKat, I don't know whether I should wait or just trade in my i5
    Why are you smitten? If you are smitten it sounds like the Nexus 5 does well in the areas you care about.
    11-22-2013 11:31 AM
    I ended up going back to my iPhone 5S. To be honest, there really isn't a good reason. I just decided to go back to it. I use my iPhone 5S like a Nexus anyway. I have downloaded many Google apps and really have a similar experience going on.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.
    12-19-2013 03:43 PM
    I ended up going back to my iPhone 5S. To be honest, there really isn't a good reason. I just decided to go back to it. I use my iPhone 5S like a Nexus anyway. I have downloaded many Google apps and really have a similar experience going on.

Sent from my iPhone 5S. The "S" is for sexy.
    Do you just like the size better?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    12-19-2013 04:49 PM
105 12345