Camera Mode HDR+ and Hangouts

mikejnger#AC

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone successfully taken pictures with HDR+ turned on and sent them to individuals through Hangouts as MMS?
Every time I try my photos are sideways and smashed. When I turn off HDR+ Mode they send correct.

Let me know your results! I have read reviews where people would rather take pictures with HDR+ so I would like to leave it on but if I cant send it through Hangouts then I may rethink it.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone successfully taken pictures with HDR+ turned on and sent them to individuals through Hangouts as MMS?
Every time I try my photos are sideways and smashed. When I turn off HDR+ Mode they send correct.

Let me know your results! I have read reviews where people would rather take pictures with HDR+ so I would like to leave it on but if I cant send it through Hangouts then I may rethink it.
Yeah, it's not just MMS...I have to convert HDR images to PNG before I can post them on here. I think the camera software is not "rotating" the image when you rotate the phone.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
As far as I can tell, it's an issue with how Hangouts queries for a camera app to take a photo (and handles the resulting image).

The HTC One had the same type of issue with its stock camera app and HDR mode. Hangouts only used one of the three shots the camera would take to form the HDR photo. I frequently had to take the photo outside of the Hangouts app, return to Hangouts, and then send it.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
As far as I can tell, it's an issue with how Hangouts queries for a camera app to take a photo (and handles the resulting image).
This is definitely not a hangouts issue. I have seen this when posting stills to this site. There is something weird with how it is saving the JPG metadata or something. The picture looks right side up in previews but when I post it on here it is tilted 90 degrees. These photos had nothing to do with Hangouts at all.

I only see this with HDR photos. But it is something with the file itself, not just an app.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This is definitely not a hangouts issue. I have seen this when posting stills to this site. There is something weird with how it is saving the JPG metadata or something. The picture looks right side up in previews but when I post it on here it is tilted 90 degrees. These photos had nothing to do with Hangouts at all.

I only see this with HDR photos. But it is something with the file itself, not just an app.

The issue lies with the Intent system and how resulting images are returned from Activities that are called with the ACTION_IMAGE_CAPTURE Intent. If you look at the Camera page on the Android Developers site, you'll notice the following method:

Code:
takePicture(Camera.ShutterCallback shutter, Camera.PictureCallback raw, Camera.PictureCallback postview, Camera.PictureCallback jpeg)

The callbacks (PictureCallback raw, PictureCallback jpeg) are run after a photo has been captured. For camera applications that take HDR photos, they call this takePicture method more than once. Applications which use the ACTION_IMAGE_CAPTURE intent will grab the first image returned as 'accepted' by the camera application. Now, with a standard (single) photo, it is properly rotated and adjusted when returned by the Activity in question. However, HDR applications will wait until all three (or more, for a greater number of DR brackets) are returned before making these adjustments. The result? Applications that query ACTION_IMAGE_CAPTURE (Hangouts, Tapatalk, any such app) will likely receive only the first image of the HDR set, not the processed HDR photo.

Edit: to clarify, the rotation and scaling issue can be caused independently of this HDR problem. I've had the problem myself.

What would cause an app like Textra to send correct and Hangouts to send it sideways and smashed?

This... I can't say.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
What is the general consensus for using the camera, rotation issues aside? Default to HDR+ or not?

Though the shutter response can be a bit slow, I'm really liking the camera so far. I'm using HDR+ as my go-to camera setting, because it seems to add a nice amount of color and dynamic range to the photo without any real downsides. I made the same decision with the One (using HDR as my primary camera setting) because they turned out so well, however you did have to hold the phone very still for relatively close subjects.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ur-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts.html

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
What is the general consensus for using the camera, rotation issues aside? Default to HDR+ or not?
Unless the subject is sitting still, HDR is not realistic. If they move, it will result in a blur. OIS can compensate for hand shake, but not movement of the subject.

HDR is awesome, but I don't use it by default.

Reppy07

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Has there been a fix for this? I realize the thread is very old. For me, it doesn't matter if I use HDR or not, preview on Hangouts shows it properly, but once sent, it turns sideways and horribly crushed. Even screenshots.

As I really like hangouts, I use it for sms and merge the two. For some reason, sending the images as 'SMS' sends the images perfectly normal, switch to hangouts real quick and same picture turns sideways and gets crushed.

Weird... At least that's MY workaround. Would just be nice to know if there's a fix.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech