Do I Need a Screen Protector?

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I have a 1" scratch on my screen. Had something in my pocket that scuffed and gouged it. I went without screen protection on an Evo and a GS2 with no damage on either.

Bottom line... Gorilla glass 3 may be the best available, but it is not impervious to damage.

Will I get a screen protector if/when I replace my screen? I think I might give it a try. If I don?t like it, I can always take it off and just be more cautious on what is in my pocket with my phone.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I have not used a screen protector on my last three phones.... My EVO, GS3 and now my N5... I had GS3 for almost two years without a screen protector and ended up with a very fine small scratch near the bottom of the glass.. You could only see it if you turned the screen off and then cleaned the screen and LOOKED for it real hard.. a quick wipe with a rag and glance you'd miss it... Key's, change or any other metal just lighting rubbing against your glass shouldn't scratch it.. Sand (as stated above) and Diamonds are the only things that will easily scratch your screen (or any glass for that matter.... So don't go play around in the sand box or the at the beach... if you have a pocket or purse full of diamonds.............. Well then you can afford to just buy a new one every time it gets scratched...

If you got an office job and for the most part take good care of your stuff you shouldn't NEED one at all... If you have a more physically demanding job like construction and are around a lot of dirt and dust all day you might want to consider one.....

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I expect my device to get some damage over time. I hate the way screen protectors look on the phone, and I don't usually like the way they feel either.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I've never had a screen protector on any phone and none have been damaged. Put it in my pocket facing me and nothing else goes into the pocket at the same time. If something is strong enough to scratch Gorilla Glass 3, a piece of film is not going to stop it.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 300% harder than Gorilla Glass 2. Gorilla Glass 3 is 1000% harder than normal glass. If anything is going to scratch Gorilla Glass 3 I sure don't thing a thin plastic film is going to save it.

A single grain of sand is harder than gorilla glass 3 and will much more easily scratch it than a relatively soft key, knife, etc.

No screen or screen protector is fully impervious to scratches. If you want something to protect the actual screen (for 'my precious!' purposes, or for eventual resale in mint condition), any SP will help towards that end. If you want to provide that protection without giving up the native feel and look, go with a tempered glass screen protector - which can be had in the same hardness rating as gorilla glass 3.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I say get one.

Gorilla glass is overrated, I don't trust it to keep screen perfect.

Overrated compared to what? GG3 is stronger than any film you can cover the glass with. GG3 can absorber more impact without damage than Aircraft quality Aluminum at the same thickness.

Last edited:

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Overrated compared to what? GG3 is stronger than any film you can cover the glass with. GG3 can absorber more impact without damage than Aircraft quality Aluminum at the same thickness.

compared to expectation. Strong than film means nothing.

You completely misunderstand what film does. It doesn't protect against impact. It protects again small grains, which itself may not be large enough to go through film and reach the surface. It also buffer the sharp edge of the grain, which lead to lesser force on the glass surface.

Last edited:

anon(680971)

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Personally had a screen protector on everything since 2005 because I broke my first 2 cell phone screens. That or case like an otterbox where it was fully enclosed. It gives that new phone look when the protector gets dirty and needs to be changed

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I got a screen protector just in case. I would hate to see light scratches appear on the device and know it could have been prevented with a screen protector.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 300% harder than Gorilla Glass 2. Gorilla Glass 3 is 1000% harder than normal glass. If anything is going to scratch Gorilla Glass 3, then I sure don't think a thin plastic film is going to save it.

This makes no sense at all, if GG3 is 1000% harder than normal glass,and 300% harder than GG2, given GG2's hardness being 600-700kg/mm2, that would make "normal glass" having a hardness of 180-210 kg/mm2, or a mohs hardness of 3.5-4. Considering all glasses are essentially same SiO2 with a hardness of 5.5 to 7, where did you find a glass as soft as copper-nickle?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Your also not putting a screen protector on that is harder or more scratch resistant than your screen.. It's cheaper and easier to replace a screen protector than the actual glass on your phone.. For my personal use I don't use one... I took a F*** it attitude with my EVO and went without one (well at first I had one on there and just didn't like the feel and removed it after a couple of weeks) and in my everyday real world use I found that a screen protector was always a waste of time, effort and money... Glass is hard to start with... Look at the abuse your car windshield takes every single day.... It can chip if it gets hit hard enough but for the most part it doesn't really scratch... You don't go above and beyond to put a thin clear plastic film on your Windshield (Maybe tint on your inside side and rear windows) and your windshield is way more expensive than Gorilla Glass 3 on your phone...

At the end of the day if putting a screen protector on your phone makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, then by all means put one on there.. If you drop your phone and it lands screen down on a rock hard enough the glass is going to shatter and about all the screen protector is going to do is hold all the glass together... a couple of mm thin film isn't going to pad much of a good drop screen first at the right angle...

adambold123

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Depends on what phone and in what conditions you use it. Newer phones should have scratch-less glass, so unless you throw it around it should be fine without a protector

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Depends on what phone and in what conditions you use it. Newer phones should have scratch-less glass, so unless you throw it around it should be fine without a protector

It's the required hyphen in "scratch-less" that explains why one would want a SP. Since no screens are "scratchless."