Battery case with built in SD slot for Nexus 5

Brian202020

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if such a case exists. I'm coming from the iPhone/iOS world and I am finally jumping ship. I'm leaning toward the Nexus 5, but I'm worried about the lack of storage and battery capacity. I have my 64GB iPhone full of music (in fact I wish it was bigger) and I'd hate to sacrifice the storage. If such a case doesn't exist, why not? Someone should do a Kickstarter or something. I believe I've read that the Nexus 5 supports USB OTG.

It would basically be this with this built in, but for the Nexus 5. I'd also be nice if it had the soft touch finish.

Tovalmorgan

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
you do realize your iphone didn't have removable storage or battery....right?

so why would that 'concern' you with a nexus 5? you should be used to it.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
you do realize your iphone didn't have removable storage or battery....right?

so why would that 'concern' you with a nexus 5? you should be used to it.

Yes, I'm sure he does. But, as he said, his 64GB iPhone is filled up so how is he going to get by on just 32GB in the Nexus 5?

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if such a case exists. I'm coming from the iPhone/iOS world and I am finally jumping ship. I'm leaning toward the Nexus 5, but I'm worried about the lack of storage and battery capacity. I have my 64GB iPhone full of music (in fact I wish it was bigger) and I'd hate to sacrifice the storage.
According to Android Central, you should just be using the cloud for that because "OMG the future!"

We were lucky to even get a 32 gig option for the Nexus 5. Google hates local storage. They have a seething venomous hatred of SD especially. They hate local storage even more than apple does. It is not something that is going to change...you just have to accept it if you want a Nexus device. I don't like it either. USB OTG does work with the nexus 5 and might be a good bandaid solution.

There are other Android phones that offer larger storage though. A GPE Galaxy S4 can get you up to 128 gigs, and has a removable/upgradable battery.

footysr

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
Google Play can take care of your music storage issues. That is of course if you have the right kind of data plan.

turbodmac

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
This was one of my concerns coming from an SD capable phone. After sitting down and figuring out what I actually used, I decided an SD wasn't necessary providing I backed up my photos/videos and cleared them out periodically. As far as music, just 4 gb is something like 75 hours of music - more than enough for me, especially considering the streaming options.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive

Mobile Wi-Fi clients, such as smartphone and tablets, can use a mobile app (each Connect Wireless drives has a mobile app of its own, available for Android, iOS, and Kindle Fire platforms) to play back contents stored on the Connect Wireless drives or back up user-generated contents onto them, wirelessly.

It automatically organized content into four categories, Videos, Photos, Music, and Files, regardless of the location you copy the file to, be it the Media Drive's internal storage or the connected SD card. The drive scans for new media files in real time; this process took a very short time in my trials. For example, just about a second after I had inserted an SD card, movies and photos stored on the card had already appeared in the respective category.

Alternatively, you can access the drive's storage via folders and subfolders.

You can swipe through a photo album or folder quite conveniently. You can also play a file or an album automatically, or add the file to the mobile device to play back later. When viewing a photo, you also have options to share it via social media or e-mail. All of these options are tightly integrated. With music, background playing is supported, meaning the music will stay on when you close the app to open another app. This is a great feature if you want to listen to music and check your e-mail at the same time.

Sandisk_(4)_610x404.jpg

Last edited:

Brian202020

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replys. As for getting an iPod or other secondary device for my music that is just impractical. I listen to my music everywhere, work, car, home, while walking, while working out, etc. I have no desire to carry two devices everywhere I go.

As for USB OTG, I double checked and yes the Nexus 5 supports it, and the Nexus 4 does not without rooting.

As for the local storage vs. cloud storage debat, local is the way to go for me since I frequently move in and out of coverage areas.

And then some mentioned that my iPhone didn't have added SD storage and a long battery life. This is true, but I do have a 64GB iPhone, so that's more internal storage than most if not all android phones. As for the battery life, I had an external battery case.

I would prefer to get the Nexus 5 or LG G2, but unless someone comes up with an external storage/battery case solution I might have to go the Samsung Galaxy S4.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The OP is jumping ship from iOS, so that rules out an iPod.

I've been on Android since the Original Nexus 1 and I still have an iPod in my car and another iPod in my bag for when I go to the gym.... Mostly because I had the original iPod from like 2001 and so much music and digital copy movies it's hard to just completely jump ship from Apple.. I've started building up an Android Play content library but before Android I had a good 20 years worth of music and movies copied into iTunes... (all my CD's from the 1990's are copied into iTunes)

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
About the USB OTG on Nexus 5, from what I reading so far, it is pretty much useless for expanding storage because non of the built-in apps can access anything on the external storages because they are not mounted. The best you can do is use Total Commander with special plug-in to copy files back and forth. IMO, that doesn't solve any storage shortage problem for media playback. You will still need to root the phone to mount those volumes.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
About the USB OTG on Nexus 5, from what I reading so far, it is pretty much useless for expanding storage because non of the built-in apps can access anything on the external storages because they are not mounted. The best you can do is use Total Commander with special plug-in to copy files back and forth. IMO, that doesn't solve any storage shortage problem for media playback. You will still need to root the phone to mount those volumes.
You have a way of getting stuff to and from external storage. In that sense, USB OTG works fine. At least you don't need an external power source like you did with the Nexus 4.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
And then some mentioned that my iPhone didn't have added SD storage and a long battery life. This is true, but I do have a 64GB iPhone, so that's more internal storage than most if not all android phones. As for the battery life, I had an external battery case.
You will be able to do that with the Nexus 5 as well.