Non-data plans

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
I am a student who is going to be purchasing a nexus 5. I cant afford a data plan and I was wondering what is the best talk/text plan. I am currently on verizon and would be happy if i could keep my number. Thanks for any help!

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
As I understand the nexus 5 won't work on Verizon's CDMA network. If you're looking for a budget phone your best bet would probably be the moto g in January.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile's $30 plans. One of them is unlimited talk and text plus 100MB data. Another is unlimited text, 100 minutes talk, plus 2GB data.

Something like that anyway...

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
T-Mobile's $30 plans. One of them is unlimited talk and text plus 100MB data. Another is unlimited text, 100 minutes talk, plus 2GB data.

Something like that anyway...
As far as I know, neither is accurate. The two $30 prepaid plans are as follows:

(1) 1500 minutes/texts combo (1 text = 1 minute) plus 30 MB of data.
(2) 100 minutes, unlimited texts, 5GB data.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I cant afford a data plan and I was wondering what is the best talk/text plan. I am currently on verizon and would be happy if i could keep my number.

How many minutes and texts do you use per month? We might be able to find a cost-effective plan to meet your needs if you give us an idea of what you actually use.

You could probably port your Verizon number to another service provider. A lot of people like porting their number to Google Voice, so that's another option.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, neither is accurate. The two $30 prepaid plans are as follows:

You are correct. The plans I quoted were the ones that were available last November when I got my Nexus 4.

For the OP, the plans are shown here Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, No Credit Check | Monthly 4G | T-Mobile about halfway down the page.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I am a student who is going to be purchasing a nexus 5. I cant afford a data plan and I was wondering what is the best talk/text plan. I am currently on verizon and would be happy if i could keep my number. Thanks for any help!

If you have friends and family who are interested, Solavei might be a solution. They are a T-Mobile MVNO that offer a recurring referral bonus. My husband and I have been using their service since January with no complaint.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 5 works on all these cheaper networks and you can keep your number with I AIO and MetroPCS. All have a BYO phone and are no contract.

Aio Wireless $40 unlimited voice, text and 250MB data at 4GLTE then slowed down to 3G unlimited No Contracts (Note Aio is 100% owned by AT&T and uses their networks)

Metro PCS $40 unlimited voice, text and 500 MB data at 4GLTE then slowed down to 3G unlimited No Contracts (Note MetroPCS is 100% owned by T-Mobile and uses their networks)

Straight Talk - $45 per month – Unlimited* 4G LTE Data, Talk & Text (Note Straight Talk is owned by TracFone Wireless under various brands that include TracFone, NET10 Wireless, Straight Talk, SafeLink Wireless, Telcel Am?rica, and Simple Mobile. TracFone Wireless is subsidiary of Mexico's largest telecommunications company Am?rica M?vil and operates as a Mobile Virtual Network Operator (MVNO) having multiple agreements to provide service utilizing the networks of the United States largest wireless carriers including AT&T Mobility, Sprint Corporation, T-Mobile US, and Verizon Wireless.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It is worth noting by the way that AIO Wireless' $40 plan costs exactly that - $40 per month with no additional taxes or fees. The same applies to all AIO Wireless plans.

I can't say for certain regarding all of the others, but I know that T-Mobile's $30 plan actually costs several dollars more per month when taxes/fees are added in.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

the first one is being discontinued. I had it before, it disappeared from their website as a choice a month ago.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
It is worth noting by the way that AIO Wireless' $40 plan costs exactly that - $40 per month with no additional taxes or fees. The same applies to all AIO Wireless plans.

I can't say for certain regarding all of the others, but I know that T-Mobile's $30 plan actually costs several dollars more per month when taxes/fees are added in.

I have Metro PCS plan and it cost $40 with no extra taxes. However my wife has it also so we each get $5 discount for family plan and only pay $70 a month for two phones. Family & Friends plans can go as low as $25 each of four people.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I mean if talking is more important to you (which it appears) then data then just go straight talk $45 a month for unlimited everything. But if you want to save a few more bucks and have a lot of data then tmobile $30 plan as stated above is good. Great choice depending on what your priority. Personally, I'd go for the unlimited everything over limited data and minutes.

RockyMehta

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
If you have access to WiFi most of the time look at republic wireless. They require you to buy there phone (moto x $300 no contract) but plan rates are amazing startingvat $5 / month.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781