Nexus 5 sure does charge fast

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Seems I'm in the minority. Mine charges incredibly slowly - from a low charge of around 15% it will report over 6 hours until fully charged when using the cable and charger it came with.

That's crazy, i'm seeing similar results to others in this thread, my Nexus 5 charges way faster than any other smartphone i've had. I can go from 20% to full in about 2 hours.

Matt Casey

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
That's crazy, i'm seeing similar results to others in this thread, my Nexus 5 charges way faster than any other smartphone i've had. I can go from 20% to full in about 2 hours.

Maybe the chargers that you've used before were slower than the 1.2A charger that ships with Nexus 5?

It makes sense now if your using the Nexus 5 stock 1.2A charger, that to charge 80% of a 2300mA battery (i.e. 1840mA needed to be charged) it would take somewhere around 2 hours or less. 1840mA divided by 1200mA equals 1.5 hours. I don't see though that this would require special rapid charging from the phone's chip -- just typical charging rate with a 1.2A charger?

And according to Brian Klug at Anand Tech, the Qualcomm Fast Charging mode is not being used by Nexus 5. In Klug's review, he found that using the supplied 1.2A charger, the Nexus 5 is charging at a rate of about 1000mA, which results in full charge (0 to 100%) in about 2.5 hours.

Here's the quote from the review ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review/3 ):
When it comes to charging, Google continues to do the sane thing and implement BC 1.2 signaling. Unlike the LG Optimus G, the Nexus 5 does not use the battery charging IC Qualcomm makes for use in conjunction with its normal PMICs, instead it uses the TI BQ24192 to charge at up to 1.5 A maximum and a MAX17048 fuel gauge. This seems to be done in order to accommodate wireless charging, though there could be other cost considerations at play. The Nexus 5 seems to charge in the linear region at just above 1 A however, although the limit set for BQ24192 is 1.5 A, and has a total charge time just above 2.5 hours on the supplied 1.2 A charger.

Last edited:

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the chargers that you've used before were slower than the 1.2A charger that ships with Nexus 5?

It makes sense now if your using the Nexus 5 stock 1.2A charger, that to charge 80% of a 2300mA battery (i.e. 1840mA needed to be charged) it would take somewhere around 2 hours or less. 1840mA divided by 1200mA equals 1.5 hours. I don't see though that this would require special rapid charging from the phone's chip -- just typical charging rate with a 1.2A charger?

And according to Brian Klug at Anand Tech, the Qualcomm Fast Charging mode is not being used by Nexus 5. In Klug's review, he found that using the supplied 1.2A charger, the Nexus 5 is charging at a rate of about 1000mA, which results in full charge (0 to 100%) in about 2.5 hours.

Here's the quote from the review ( AnandTech | Google Nexus 5 Review ):
When it comes to charging, Google continues to do the sane thing and implement BC 1.2 signaling. Unlike the LG Optimus G, the Nexus 5 does not use the battery charging IC Qualcomm makes for use in conjunction with its normal PMICs, instead it uses the TI BQ24192 to charge at up to 1.5 A maximum and a MAX17048 fuel gauge. This seems to be done in order to accommodate wireless charging, though there could be other cost considerations at play. The Nexus 5 seems to charge in the linear region at just above 1 A however, although the limit set for BQ24192 is 1.5 A, and has a total charge time just above 2.5 hours on the supplied 1.2 A charger.

I've never used the charger that came with the Nexus 5, since I already have so many chargers I continue to use the same old ones i've always used, and I can notice a difference in charging speed with the Nexus 5. I have read all about how the quick charging isn't enabled on the Nexus 5, but something is making it charge faster.

tebore

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Try running your phone down. Turn off the phone and use a 2.1A charger.

You ain't seen fast charging till you tried the above.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
WOW!! I've actually been very disappointed in how SLOW this phone charges... At least through the USB cable... It actually charges faster (for me at least) using the older LG Nexus 4 wireless charging hockey puck... I was at 30% battery remaining yesterday and plugged it up for two hours before I got off work and when I pulled it off after two solid hours on the charger it was only at 87% charged..... With my GS3 I would always make sure I plugged it up with at least 2 hours left in my work day and it would be fully charged in way less time.... At home I use the Wireless charger and it took roughly 2 hours to go from 15% to fully charged... But typically I use the wireless charger at night when I go to bed but this past Saturday I intentionally left it off the charger all night so I could get an idea of how long it took to wirelessly charge from near 0 to 100%..... Plugged it up at around 9:00 am at 15% and at 10:44 am it was at 100%.... Every day at work if I get below 40% battery using the USB cable (and I've used several different adapters and cables) to charge it up I know I need more than 2 hours to just get a 50% recharge...

Maybe I got a faulty USB port or something???? I would have thought it would charge faster via USB than Qi Wireless... I have ordered a new Wireless charger for my desk so I can just set it down instead of having to fumble with a cable... but WOW... SLOW recharge...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
When connected through USB cable it will charge slower only. See the Google Support page for details !
https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/3473133?hl=en#

I have not used the USB cable in a while now.... but when I was using it the device was plugged directly into the wall not into another device like a computer... I used the adapter directly into a wall plug... but I don't think I've plugged my phone up via the USB cable in 3 months now... I love the wireless charging.. so much easier and simple.... No fumbling with a cord in the dark trying to plug it up...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci