Nexus 5 sure does charge fast

c0rbindallas

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Definitely agree with the above. It may not hold the best battery but it definitely charges very fast - quicker than my iphone charged while using the 12 watt Ipad charger on it.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
So this statement taken from the Qualcomm Quick Charge link above sounds like we have something special in our new N5 AC/DC wall charger that makes it Quick Charge 2.0. My new N5 AC/DC charger looks identical to the old AC/DC charger that came with my old LG phone that my wife is using. The only reason I know which one is my new N5 charge is because I am charging it in a different room. I am thinking I may need to mark the N5 charger since they both look the same and both came from LG.

While Quick Charge 1.0 rests in the devices only, Quick Charge 2.0 resides in both the device, offered as a standalone IC solution or as part of the PMIC (power management integrated circuit) of Snapdragon™ 800 processors, and in the AC/DC wall charger.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
So this statement taken from the Qualcomm Quick Charge link above sounds like we have something special in our new N5 AC/DC wall charger that makes it Quick Charge 2.0. My new N5 AC/DC charger looks identical to the old AC/DC charger that came with my old LG phone that my wife is using. The only reason I know which one is my new N5 charge is because I am charging it in a different room. I am thinking I may need to mark the N5 charger since they both look the same and both came from LG.
This may explain why my phone charges pretty quickly at work, but even quicker at home where I have the charger that came in the box. At least it kind of feels like that. But then a USB plug may not be the same as an AC/DC charger. That may be just do laptops.

Posted via Android Central App

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
When plugged into the wall charging this N5 is the fastest phone or tablet charging I have ever seen. It seems to charge almost 1% a minute.

Found out this is due to Qualcomm Quick Charge

Qualcomm Quick Charge Benefits
Reduced Charge Time

Charges up to 75% faster than conventional technology. Less charge time means more time being truly mobile

WOW!! I've actually been very disappointed in how SLOW this phone charges... At least through the USB cable... It actually charges faster (for me at least) using the older LG Nexus 4 wireless charging hockey puck... I was at 30% battery remaining yesterday and plugged it up for two hours before I got off work and when I pulled it off after two solid hours on the charger it was only at 87% charged..... With my GS3 I would always make sure I plugged it up with at least 2 hours left in my work day and it would be fully charged in way less time.... At home I use the Wireless charger and it took roughly 2 hours to go from 15% to fully charged... But typically I use the wireless charger at night when I go to bed but this past Saturday I intentionally left it off the charger all night so I could get an idea of how long it took to wirelessly charge from near 0 to 100%..... Plugged it up at around 9:00 am at 15% and at 10:44 am it was at 100%.... Every day at work if I get below 40% battery using the USB cable (and I've used several different adapters and cables) to charge it up I know I need more than 2 hours to just get a 50% recharge...

Maybe I got a faulty USB port or something???? I would have thought it would charge faster via USB than Qi Wireless... I have ordered a new Wireless charger for my desk so I can just set it down instead of having to fumble with a cable... but WOW... SLOW recharge...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
This may explain why my phone charges pretty quickly at work, but even quicker at home where I have the charger that came in the box. At least it kind of feels like that. But then a USB plug may not be the same as an AC/DC charger. That may be just do laptops.

Posted via Android Central App

May or may not..... The snapdragon chip supports the fast charge but it does not appear the Nexus 5 actually has the hardware built into the phone's USB adapter to support the quick charge.....

A: The short answer — it doesn't appear to. In theory, the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, the LG G2, and the Nexus 5 can support Quick Charge 2.0, because they use the Snapdragon S800. The reality is that this is another feature that OEMs can use or choose not to implement.

The long answer — it looks like the Nexus 5 uses a Texas Instruments BQ24192 chip for battery charging and power path management, which does not work with Qualcomm Quick Charge. This means that even with a firmware update and a special charger you're still out of luck.

The Nexus 5 F.A.Q. | Android Central

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
sure, increasing charging current can speed up the process, but do keep in mind, fast charging degrade the battery life expectancy, so charge at lower current is recommended, when POSSIBLE.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Using the stock charger that came with the phone I am getting over 1% per minute charge rate. I just went from 65% to 100% in about 25 or 30 minutes.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I thought I saw a android central Q&A saying it didn't have the quick charge things according to a teardown?

Still I am pleased that the Nexus 5 passes my personal charging test regardless of the hardware.

In my car with a car charger the phone is still able to charge the battery using google GPS with the screen on default brightness and playing a podcast through bluetooth using the presto software variable speed app.

Previous phones I've had fail this test: Galaxy Nexus and the HTC One developer edition. Basically in the above situation these phones end up with a net discharge and if you drive long enough a dead battery even though they are "charging".

Previous phones that passed: Galaxy Note 1 and 2 along with the Nexus 4 and now 5.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I think that's ridiculous to say there is zero wrong with the battery. That's just not true.

Didn't mean to thank your post lol. What is wrong with the battery? It's every bit as good as the battery on the HTC one which has the same size battery. It's not max or note 3 but for the size of the battery it's great.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Diesel6401

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
sure, increasing charging current can speed up the process, but do keep in mind, fast charging degrade the battery life expectancy, so charge at lower current is recommended, when POSSIBLE.

I do radio control everything (cars, boats, helis, planes) and my garage is filled with very large lithium batteries. The older batteries would last longer charging them at a very low rate (less than 1c), the 2nd gen of tech could handle much faster charge rates (up to 5c), but overall life was heavily reduced. With the latest round "nano tech" lithium batteries (lithium polymer is most common) up to 5c charge rates can be consistently used w/o loss of life. Just to give an idea of the power I'm using my largest boat ran 22.2v (6s), 8,000mah and pulled over 250amps. I also repair lithium polymer cells.

I wouldn't be worried of life being reduced with the higher charge rates. Previously I would agree, but with the new tech I'm personally not worried. I would definitely imagine this new tech is used in the cell phone batteries now a days, after all cell phones are a much larger market than radio control.

The biggest thing lithium's hate is being fully discharged. That will reduce a cells life significantly. Most of the newer phones I believe cutoff prior to fully discharged. Meaning 0% on your phone isn't actually 0% to the battery. So I've read. Not 100% on that. We do have this feature with RC called LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) for protection.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Diesel6401

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm really pleased with the charging speed as well as the battery life on this phone. Happy customer here!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It seems like recent LG phones, in general, charge fast. Both my G2 and Nexus 5 charge quickly, and the Optimus G Pro does so as well. I thought something might have been wrong (I've had Samsungs in the past) but its just that these LG phones charge quickly. Its kinda nice, really.

G2

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I do radio control everything (cars, boats, helis, planes) and my garage is filled with very large lithium batteries. With the latest round "nano tech" lithium batteries (lithium polymer is most common) up to 5c charge rates can be consistently used w/o loss of life.

The biggest thing lithium's hate is being fully discharged.

Thanks for the comments! It is good to hear your experience with so many battery.

btw, for the last statement, battery also hates stress (high voltage, high temperature, deep discharge). http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...w-realy-really-prolong-your-battery-life.html

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
My Nexus 5 battery was at 48% when I plunged it in today. It was 100% charged when I looked at it 62 minutes after I plugged it in. That is very fast to me with my last two phones.

Maybe I am jaded by my 2012 Nexus 7 tablet with it's larger 4,325 mAh battery takes like 6 or 7 hours to charge if I forget to plug it in overnight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith