QUESTION : Nexus 5 or Moto X?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
It is a simple choice between the N5 and MX. A unlocked Moto X is $620 and a Nexus 5 is $349.

If you want to be locked into a 2 year network contract with an expensive monthly service charge pick the Moto X with a subsided contract where you over pay for your monthly service for two years.

If you want to avoid network contracts that lock you in for 2 years and pay much less for network service charges monthly, then buy the N5. Depending on where you live you could have just as good of signal quality or in my case better service with a discount network over a big national brand like AT&T.

With T-Mobile and Sprint charging $449 for a N5 with only 16GB if you break their 2 year contract is just nuts when you can buy the N5 with 32GB for $399 from Google unlocked.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
It is a simple choice between the N5 and MX. If you want to be locked into a 2 year network contract with an expensive monthly service charge pick the Moto X. If you want to avoid network contracts and pay much less for network service charges monthly buy the N5 and pick a good plan. Depending on where you live you have just as good of service or in my case better with a discount network over a big national brand like AT&T.

With T-Mobile and Sprint charging $449 for a N5 with only 16GB and a 2 year contract is just nuts when you can buy the N5 with 32GB for $399 from Google.
T-Mobile has no contract. Your "contract" is only as long as it takes you to pay off the phone. If you pay double the minimum each month, your "contract" is cut in half. They do not even charge interest.

The phone is more expensive because they are not subsidizing it like Google is...they have to buy the hardware direct from LG.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Current Verizon customer running month to month on my account. Been with them for ages (cannot beat the coverage).
Which is true...there are no carriers that can match Verizon's coverage.

If coverage is a deal breaker for you, then your choice is made. Moto X. you cannot get Nexus phones on Verizon anymore.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
With T-Mobile and Sprint charging $449 for a N5 with only 16GB and a 2 year contract is just nuts when you can buy the N5 with 32GB for $399 from Google.

T-Mobile doesn't have 2 year contract on services, customers can pay off EIP anytime they want.

robber

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
IWith T-Mobile and Sprint charging $449 for a N5 with only 16GB and a 2 year contract is just nuts when you can buy the N5 with 32GB for $399 from Google unlocked.

It is $149 with a 2 yr deal, and it DOES make sense if you are happy with your carrier and you are going to use them for the next two years anyway.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
It is $149 with a 2 yr deal, and it DOES make sense if you are happy with your carrier and you are going to use them for the next two years anyway.

Actually, T-Mobile doesn't have Moto X on their website, Sprint has it for free with contract, VZW has it for $50 with contract.

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Re: QUESTION : Moto X or Nexus 5???

I owned the nexus 4 and currently own the moto x. While the 4 isn't the new nexus 5 they are similar in ways. I was in the same boat as you but on a different carrier. I seriously waited out the nexus announcement because that was the phone I wanted. Then it came and I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. Yes it has a large screen and the newest os but that is all I can see that it has going for it. From what I read the battery is sub par, camera is mediocre and the design seems uninspired. The X on the other hand feels great in my hands and the screen is gorgeous. I love the form factor on this thing. It is so nice being able to use a phone easily with one hand while having a nice 4.7 inch screen. The amoled looks great and the active notifications are just absolutely genius. Plus being able to do a voice search without even having to power on your phone is golden. I've heard the battery life is great on this phone too as it has been extremely optimized. I really can't praise this phone enough.

Plus I heard the nexus has once again a crappy speaker... Ugh. I love watching YouTube and being able to hear the sounds without having to cup my phone lol. The X will be getting 4.4 soon so I wouldn't worry about that. And honestly you won't notice much changes between the two anyways as Google has apparently kept their "Google experience launcher" strictly for the nexus 5 at the moment.

Posted via Android Central App

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this will influence your decision but, I have the Nexus 5 and I love it. Everyone touts the Nexus line because you get updates first and that is definitely a positive however, it can be a negative too. Being the first with the latest Android software also means that apps may not be updated when you receive your OS update. I have gone months without being able to use HBO GO on my Nexus 7 because it wasn't compatible with the latest Jelly Bean. For a while, MX Player didn't work, certain games wouldn't work. So you end up waiting a while to use some of your favorite apps. With services that are a little behind in the update process won't have those issues necessarily. In that case, the Moto X would be a better choice. To be honest, the active notifications and always on Google voice recognition are killer features that I hope come to the Nexus line soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

I have the nexus 5 and I am selling it for the x, which I ordered today. I like the nexus 5 but I miss the battery life of the x and the radio. I live in Salt Lake City and there is great LTE coverage, but with the nexus im in and out all day long. The battery is very subpar and connecting to wifi is horrible. I cannot connect to worth because the range of the nexus Sucks. Besides that the phone is solid, but the active notifications, always listening, build quality and assist puts this phone up on top IMHO. Now only if the wood backs were available.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

It's definitely a tough decision. I've had both and currently have the N5.

I will say overall the X is the better all around device. More usable features and better battery life. I chose the N5 due to the development community and the ability to flash Roms/kernels etc. It really depends on what you like to do. If you like to run stock (no root) and are going to be on contract I'd vote for the x. If you want to be able to tinker and are buying off contact, the n5 is a better choice.
Sent from my Nexus 5

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It is a simple choice between the N5 and MX. A unlocked Moto X is $620 and a Nexus 5 is $349.

If you want to be locked into a 2 year network contract with an expensive monthly service charge pick the Moto X with a subsided contract where you over pay for your monthly service for two years.

If you want to avoid network contracts that lock you in for 2 years and pay much less for network service charges monthly, then buy the N5. Depending on where you live you could have just as good of signal quality or in my case better service with a discount network over a big national brand like AT&T.

With T-Mobile and Sprint charging $449 for a N5 with only 16GB if you break their 2 year contract is just nuts when you can buy the N5 with 32GB for $399 from Google unlocked.

The off Contract price of the moto X has been reduced. I got a 32GB model on ATT for 529 or 574 with tax etc. Still more than the Nexus but still not a bad price off contract.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
The off Contract price of the moto X has been reduced. I got a 32GB model on ATT for 529 or 574 with tax etc. Still more than the Nexus but still not a bad price off contract.

I have both the x & the n5. It really is a tough decision. However out of my three phones ( those and an htc one) if I had to keep only one it would be the moto x. I'm a spec nerd / geek at heart and was rather disappointed when the x came out. After using one for over a month I can say it offers one of the best android experiences out there. Form factor is amazing & active display spoils you. I never have to push my power button for time or to initiate unlock.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Can you buy the N5 from Google and have it instantly, or within 24-48 hours at least? I thought they were still out of stock whereas you can walk into a Sprint or Best Buy and walk out with a Nexus 5.

G2

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have both the x & the n5. It really is a tough decision. However out of my three phones ( those and an htc one) if I had to keep only one it would be the moto x. I'm a spec nerd / geek at heart and was rather disappointed when the x came out. After using one for over a month I can say it offers one of the best android experiences out there. Form factor is amazing & active display spoils you. I never have to push my power button for time or to initiate unlock.

We have some similar devices. I have the Moto X, Nexus 5 and S4. If I could have only one, it would be between the N5 and Moto X. Probably lean toward the Nexus 5 due it it's screen size and form factor. Luckily, I can have both and swap my SIM as my moods or needs change!

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Can you buy the N5 from Google and have it instantly, or within 24-48 hours at least? I thought they were still out of stock whereas you can walk into a Sprint or Best Buy and walk out with a Nexus 5.

G2

If you order a White N5 with 32GB Google Playstore says it " Leaves warehouse by November 26, 2013" you can get it for $399. If you want a Black N5 with 32GB you can get it from Amazon for $497 and ship it overnight that would arrive 11/19 since today is Sat.

Amazon Google Nexus 5 Unlocked GSM Phone Android 4.4 KitKat (32GB) (Black)

I would take the Google Play Store Deal but then again I hate over paying for anything. I'm not cheap but I hate being ripped off since I am a computer (IBM, NetApp, etc..) salesman and all my customers want a good price and beat me down for that price.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Jerry's cool!

I agree. He is dead wrong about the camera though. Even on his own shots, the Nexus HDR is clearly better.

He's also wrong about the battery at idle... On the nexus it is amazing. I don't know what the hell he has running in the background that is eating his battery, but I am not seeing that on mine. Even with lte on all the time I see little or no loss at idle with the screen off. Not even 1% for me.

I agree with him about amoled though. The moto x demonstrates why amoled is the future. But I can't go back after experiencing 1080p...even an anal pixel nerd like me cannot see any pixels on this phone and that is just awesome.