Straight Talk and LTE on AT&T SIM with the Nexus 5 is sweet

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Straight Talk rolled out LTE prepaid service a while back and I'm happy to say it works great in the Nexus 5. If you have had Straight Talk for a long time and are using the old att.mvno APN then you will likely need to get a new SIM card to get LTE. There is a lot of talk about it on Howard Forums but basically you need the new SIM and these APN settings.

New LTE Settings:

NAME: Straight Talk
APN: tfdata
PORT: 80
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS PROXY: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS PORT: 80
APN Type: default,mms,supl,agps,fota,dun,hipri,entitle

I realize theres a lot of talk of what's the proper APN settings but this "works for me". Big speed difference in the real world over a Nexus 4 and HSPA+.

looking at the value proposition with Nexus 5 and Straight Talk I honestly don't know why people pay more.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I saw on their site today that they are selling AT&T compatible sims for 6.99. A couple months ago no one could get one. Good deal for people that are located in areas where T-Mobile isn't as good.

Posted via Android Central App

Jerfer

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
It's awesome! Especially coming from the Nexus 4. I had to transfer my number to a new Straight Talk SIM card I bought back in March in order to get LTE enabled.

I did a speed test yesterday at work when I had LTE with five bars and it was 22 Mbps Down / 8 Mbps Up. Faster than my cable Internet at home.

Those APN settings are what I have, except I don't even have APN type set.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I've got the same thing, but on Net10. It's great value! I've only had the LTE SIM for 2 days so far, but I've seen up to 17 Mbps down.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I got my phone a couple days ago. Took the ST ATT sim from my Nexus 4 which has been active 11 months, and put it in the n5. Works fine.
I have been shocked to see the LTE notation in the status bar. I didn't know att had lte in my area.

Anyways, I just popped a year old sim and using the tfdata apn and apparently getting lte.

Sent from my Nexus 5 :)p)

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys get throttled or capped on data? I'm really tired of paying for Att postpaid but want to keep reliable data.

Sent from my Nexus 5

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys get throttled or capped on data? I'm really tired of paying for Att postpaid but want to keep reliable data.

Straight Talk & Net10 with AT&T service both now have a hard limit of 2.5GB. I just got my LTE SIM card, and I'm afraid I'm going to hit the limit by running Speedtest! Hopefully the novelty will wear off soon...

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
What about a tmobile sim on ST? I wouldn't mind the $45 unlimited everything but I don't want to be throttled after usage.

I don't think they have LTE available for tmobile yet on straight talk.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 questions I need help on. So I'm leaving Sprint and going Straight Talk and going to get the new Nexus 5. So 1st question would be:

1. To order the Nexus 5 unlocked to use Straight Talk, I order from Google Play Store online correct?

2. Then to use Straight Talk, I need to buy a SIM card that is AT&T? (Micro or regular SIM?) And then Activate the phone?

Thank you so much. Looking forward to the help so I can get this rolling.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 questions I need help on. So I'm leaving Sprint and going Straight Talk and going to get the new Nexus 5. So 1st question would be:

1. To order the Nexus 5 unlocked to use Straight Talk, I order from Google Play Store online correct?

Yes. You can get the same phone elsewhere like bestbuy but I think they charge more. There are no locked versions of the Nexus 5...

2. Then to use Straight Talk, I need to buy a SIM card that is AT&T? (Micro or regular SIM?) And then Activate the phone?

Go to straight talks site and go shop > SIM cards > AT&T Compatible Phone > AT&T Compatible Micro SIM Card

In some walmart stores they sell the same SIM card in store, oddly enough they don't where I am but they do in most.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

You don't really activate the phone; you activate the SIM card. Just follow the instructions that come with the SIM card. You can order one online or at Walmart.

Brainerd

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I did the same thing. I left Sprint after 14 years. Just put in the Straight Talk AT&T micro SIM Card, use maxburn's settings in the first post, and you will be good to go. I tried to do the port and account setup online, but needed to call customer service to activate.

My coverage and data speeds are soooo much better than with Sprint. You will love being able to use data while on a phone call. So many times my wife would ask me a question and I would have to tell he that I would call her back after I looked "it" up on the Web. I have to watch my data use because the data comes down so fast. With Sprint, I rarely went near 2.5 GBs because the data was extremely slow. Unlimited meant nothing for something that wasn't really useful. The only thing I miss is the visual voice mail. You have to go old school and press 1 to retrieve your messages. If Google Voice gets integrated into hangouts and supports mms, as anticipated early next year, I might port my number to GV and get that feature back.

Enjoy! I can't imagine that you will be disappointed.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I did the same thing. I left Sprint after 14 years. Just put in the Straight Talk AT&T micro SIM Card, use maxburn's settings in the first post, and you will be good to go. I tried to do the port and account setup online, but needed to call customer service to activate.

My coverage and data speeds are soooo much better than with Sprint. You will love being able to use data while on a phone call. So many times my wife would ask me a question and I would have to tell he that I would call her back after I looked "it" up on the Web. I have to watch my data use because the data comes down so fast. With Sprint, I rarely went near 2.5 GBs because the data was extremely slow. Unlimited meant nothing for something that wasn't really useful. The only thing I miss is the visual voice mail. You have to go old school and press 1 to retrieve your messages. If Google Voice gets integrated into hangouts and supports mms, as anticipated early next year, I might port my number to GV and get that feature back.

Enjoy! I can't imagine that you will be disappointed.

I can't imagine I would either. So about the first post, how do I put those settings in to get the best experience? Sorry for the n00b question.

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
For what its worth, I switched from Verizon to Straight Talk when I got my N5. It was a nightmare getting my number ported, and when I finally did the service was horrible for me. I'm not saying everyone would have this experience, but I even had trouble getting my number ported out of straight talk because they don't use account numbers on their BYOP service. I'll post a couple of screen shots in a bit, but I was getting 2.2mb down on straight talk "LTE" and now I am getting over 8 on HSPA with Tmobile. I think we are going to try out AIO when its lake time since TMO doesn't have any towers around our lake spot.

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
For what its worth, I switched from Verizon to Straight Talk when I got my N5. It was a nightmare getting my number ported, and when I finally did the service was horrible for me. I'm not saying everyone would have this experience, but I even had trouble getting my number ported out of straight talk because they don't use account numbers on their BYOP service. I'll post a couple of screen shots in a bit, but I was getting 2.2mb down on straight talk "LTE" and now I am getting over 8 on HSPA with Tmobile. I think we are going to try out AIO when its lake time since TMO doesn't have any towers around our lake spot.

Where are you located? That sucks man.

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Springfield, Mo. Here are the screen shots. I should also mention that I was unable to receive group message texts or picture messages. I tried every APN out there that I could find.

Screenshot_2013-11-14-21-02-58.jpg

Screenshot_2013-11-14-22-08-18.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge