Nexus 5 wifi calling

ssrini12

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I really appreciate if someone could help me out with this. I don't have one of those unlimited cell phone plans and I mostly use my phone with wifi. I have tried installing talkatone and zenitalk on my new nexus 5. None of them seem to be working , it will install and then when i try to place a call it gives me some error message and shuts off. Are there any other applications like this and/or has anyone had a similar problem and if so how did you fix it. I have not rooted my phone I have stock android kitkat that came with the Nexus 5.

Appreciate any help

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi All,

I really appreciate if someone could help me out with this. I don't have one of those unlimited cell phone plans and I mostly use my phone with wifi. I have tried installing talkatone and zenitalk on my new nexus 5. None of them seem to be working , it will install and then when i try to place a call it gives me some error message and shuts off. Are there any other applications like this and/or has anyone had a similar problem and if so how did you fix it. I have not rooted my phone I have stock android kitkat that came with the Nexus 5.

Appreciate any help

Google voice from gmail is free. I believe you can do this from the browser. I'm not 100% sure about the process but I know thru Google voice and gmail users can make calls for free.

Posted via Android Central App

ssrini12

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I would prefer an app as opposed to dialing from the browser if that's what you meant. Viber is good but I want an app with a keypad so that I can call people who are not on my contact list or have cover already if you know what I mean.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I would prefer an app as opposed to dialing from the browser if that's what you meant. Viber is good but I want an app with a keypad so that I can call people who are not on my contact list or have cover already if you know what I mean.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well that's the best I got lol. Good luck.

abbott

May 27, 2013
Visit site
The best app for this is GrooVe IP, it works great over cellular and wifi, you can set it to stay running in the background and run on startup. I have been using it as the primary phone on my Nexus for over a year

xxx420

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
Groove ip here as well works great. But only until middle of next year, Google is killing it. Damn shame. Calls over WiFi that don't use your minutes.

VagabondSteve

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The best app for this is GrooVe IP, it works great over cellular and wifi, you can set it to stay running in the background and run on startup. I have been using it as the primary phone on my Nexus for over a year
But it is gone in May 2014 sadly. My obihai home line used the same tech and it will perish at the same time. I suppose I will have to sign up for a SIP plan somewhere......

r1mayer

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Appreciate any help

My understanding after talking with Google is that using any VOIP service on the Nexus 5 will use your minutes on your plan from your service provider.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
My understanding after talking with Google is that using any VOIP service on the Nexus 5 will use your minutes on your plan from your service provider.

It depends on how you have it set up. I use GrooVe IP Lite with my Google Voice number and there is no interaction with T-Mobile at all. I set that up last year after Sandy when there was extremely spotty cell service. Of course after 5/15/14, that will no longer be an option. I'll worry about it then.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Google Voice, using the official GV app, will always use your cell phone minute to make the call. No VoIP support. Google has indicated to tighten the enforcement on Google Voice usage. That could mean Groove IP will soon no longer work (it hacks into Google's system).

Other VoIP systems are not free although they will work. I tried Skype and it works fine calling other Skype account. Vonage is the same deal: you need an existing Vonage subscription to work.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Google Voice, using the official GV app, will always use your cell phone minute to make the call. No VoIP support. Google has indicated to tighten the enforcement on Google Voice usage. That could mean Groove IP will soon no longer work (it hacks into Google's system).

Other VoIP systems are not free although they will work. I tried Skype and it works fine calling other Skype account. Vonage is the same deal: you need an existing Vonage subscription to work.

May 2014 is when Google shuts the door. Apps like Groove IP will work until then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463