So, the wife is about to get a Nexus 5......

dazed_android

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
So the wife recently upgraded her iPhone 4 to ios 7, which has made the phone basically slow and unusable (Stellar work by Apple!!)

She's now considering a nexus 5 since she likes the look and feel of my N4, but I have a few questions.

1) I hear once again the camera is lacking, how does it compare to the one in the iPhone 4? She uses the camera a lot for the kids.

2) We are both new to Android, will she be able to use the apps I've already bought (like AquaMail), or do we need to rebuy ?

3) what's the best way to get the photos into photo stream? At the moment I backup mine to google+ and Smugmug and so can download them to my ipad and that puts them in the cloud. The downside of this is I can only download one at a time. Is there software to automate this or at least allow batch downloads?

Thanks.

Nov 6, 2013
plus.google.com
LOL, my wife had a similar reaction only she went with the MotoX and designed her own via the MotoMaker.

1). As for the camera, taking shots of the kids had been the only disappointing aspect of the Nexus 5. Overall the camera is better than the Nexus 4 (my prior device) but objects that are not still are a tough grab. Rumor has it there will be a software fix for it and I trust there will be as the Nexus 4 suffered from a similar problem if I recall.

2) I believe you can only share apps if you share the gmail account you use to buy apps with. Nice thing about the MotoX purchase was it came with a $10 Google Play gift card for sharing your MotoMaker experience.

3) Probably a better solution out there but I plug my Nexus 5 (and Nexus 4 prior) directly into my Mac. iPhoto will recognize it as a camera and pull them in.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
So the wife recently upgraded her iPhone 4 to ios 7, which has made the phone basically slow and unusable (Stellar work by Apple!!)

She's now considering a nexus 5 since she likes the look and feel of my N4, but I have a few questions.

1) I hear once again the camera is lacking, how does it compare to the one in the iPhone 4? She uses the camera a lot for the kids.

2) We are both new to Android, will she be able to use the apps I've already bought (like AquaMail), or do we need to rebuy ?

3) what's the best way to get the photos into photo stream? At the moment I backup mine to google+ and Smugmug and so can download them to my ipad and that puts them in the cloud. The downside of this is I can only download one at a time. Is there software to automate this or at least allow batch downloads?

Thanks.
1. Hardware wise it's rock solid. Software is somewhat lacking,but nothing that an update won't likely fix.

2.Unless you're sharing gmail accounts you'll each have to buy your own.

3. Google Drive may be an option.

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
For apps, just log onto your google account on her device and download the app. Afterwards you could always take your gmail off the phone if you wanted to.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

The camera is lacking in speed and features. The quality is as good as the best iPhone IMO. They have different areas where they are better than the other.

You and your wife should not take my word for it. Stroll through the photo thread on this forum and see for yourselves. http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-6.html

The software will probably get better. But it is definitely not as fast or convenient to use as the iPhone camera app, or even many other Android camera apps.

You will need to rebuy everything. Sorry. The apps are not compatible between platforms.

I misunderstood your question. Apps are attached to gmail accounts. So you can only use the apps on your gmail account when that gmail account is attached to a device.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

Obviously they will need to be Android apps (not from Apple's App Store) but yes, it's quite simple to share apps. Simply add the Google account under which the apps were bought to your wife's phone, and use it to log in to the Play Store. You can choose to not sync everything else, so she won't get your email or Keep notes.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
My wife just moved from iPhone 4 to N4 because, as you say, iOS 7 is way too slow on iPhone 4.

The camera in the N5 (which I have) is much better than the iPhone 4 which is a very old phone now.

Photostream is Apple only and locked down. You can't even view PhotoStream on the web. You can only view from Apple apps on an Apple device. Get away from that and move to G+ photos which can be synced from/to and viewed everywhere, including iOS, Android, and the web. Much better "open" system.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
My wife just moved from iPhone 4 to N4 because, as you say, iOS 7 is way too slow on iPhone 4.

The camera in the N5 (which I have) is much better than the iPhone 4 which is a very old phone now.

Photostream is Apple only and locked down. You can't even view PhotoStream on the web. You can only view from Apple apps on an Apple device. Get away from that and move to G+ photos which can be synced from/to and viewed everywhere, including iOS, Android, and the web. Much better "open" system.

You actually CAN view photostream on the web. I used it back when I had an iphone to quickly display pictures of nightly specials online. I agree with all your other points though ;)

dazed_android

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys.

We will have the same gmail email as we share contacts and calendars so that should mean she can get all my apps right?

I was really hoping for a non computer solution to the photo stream issues. If google+ allowed multiple downloads it wouldn't be an issue as I could just multi select the photos I want downloaded to the ipad camera roll. Seems such an obvious piece of functionality that's missing....

Nov 6, 2013
plus.google.com
You can set pictures to automatically back up to Google+ in the photo app's setting menu. There are options to sync on WiFi or with any days connection. You should see this on your Nexus 4 as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
You actually CAN view photostream on the web.

I just checked and you are right. Originally this was not possible with PhotoStream but Apple added an option to "share a PhotoStream to the web" at a later update in iOS 6. They had lost me by then ....

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
We will have the same gmail email as we share contacts and calendars so that should mean she can get all my apps right?

Before you do it I have to say that sharing one google account like this is a poor approach. You certainly don't want to share email. You want separate calendars but Google provides excellent calendar sharing facilities. Each can add/delete/change events for each other, if you want.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have my dropbox automatically synced with photostream. I've enabled camera backup on my device and on my computer I have my iPhoto folder point to my dropbox folder. When I take a picture with my phone, it gets uploaded to dropbox and iPhoto syncs it as wells. Works pretty well for what I need.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie