Is my Nexus 5 defective?

dsdxp

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I can't seem to take a picture in focus. I've read things here and there about people having similar issues, but many people don't seem to have any problems. It's not user error either--I know how to hold it steady. Is my phone defective?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to insult your intelligence, but did you remove the tiny plastic film protecting the lens during manufacture and shipping?

Really, I could see how one might easily miss it...

dsdxp

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Yep

I can get a pretty clear picture if I'm taking a pic of an object, but if I'm takin a pic of a person and there's even the slightest movement it's blurry no matter what. I'm coming from an iPhone 5 and had no problems. It's not like the people are running or walking in the pictures either.

Last edited:

dsdxp

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Haven't been using flash.. Usually don't use flash if there's decent lighting. It's like it takes forever to focus and then can't take the picture in time (once it does focus).

dsdxp

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
This site outlines the exact issue I have with the camera:

Nexus 5: Common Problems Users Have and How to Fix Them | Digital Trends

"Issues include blurry photos, very slow auto-focus, shutter lag, and generally disappointing results in terms of photo quality. The general consensus seems to be that this is a software problem rather than a hardware problem, which is good in the sense that it can be fixed by an update and there’s no need to replace your handset, the downside is that you have to wait for the update."

No one here has this problem?

dsdxp

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I've tried camera 360 and various other cameras, but none of them have any faster shutter speed and focus speed...

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I am also not trying to insult your intelligence, but are you tapping the screen to focus on what you are taking a picture of? I have taken quite a few pictures of people and things and haven't had any issues.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Try taking some pics outside. Most indoor lighting are not good enough for any camera phones. Some might be a little bit faster than others. But without flash on, it will be very slow and hard to focus on. The shutter lag of the default camera app is also mentioned in many reviews.
Here is what you should do: take a picture in the condition you describe in OP and open the picture, choose menu->Details. Report the aperture and exposure time here. From what I can gather, the rear camera has a fixed aperture of F2.53 (which is not that fast). Indoor pictures can often in the range of 1/15 sec to 1/30 sec of exposure time. At 1/15, your subject should stay steady. The OIS can only compensate minor hand shake of who takes picture, not for the subject movement.

dsdxp

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I am also not trying to insult your intelligence, but are you tapping the screen to focus on what you are taking a picture of? I have taken quite a few pictures of people and things and haven't had any issues.

yes I do tap the screen on where i want to focus and see it focus, but then when i snap the picture, its subtly out of focus every time

- - - Updated - - -

Try taking some pics outside. Most indoor lighting are not good enough for any camera phones. Some might be a little bit faster than others. But without flash on, it will be very slow and hard to focus on. The shutter lag of the default camera app is also mentioned in many reviews.
Here is what you should do: take a picture in the condition you describe in OP and open the picture, choose menu->Details. Report the aperture and exposure time here. From what I can gather, the rear camera has a fixed aperture of F2.53 (which is not that fast). Indoor pictures can often in the range of 1/15 sec to 1/30 sec of exposure time. At 1/15, your subject should stay steady. The OIS can only compensate minor hand shake of who takes picture, not for the subject movement.

I will do this, thanks

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I sure wish my Nexus 5 had a Hot Word to snap a picture like my last LG phone since I want to hold the camera with two hands even with it's ISP. I have an issue tapping too hard and it shakes the camera. Looks like the count down timer is the only hand free method of taking a photo without touching the screen.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I am not suggesting anyone try Jishnu Sir camera patch fix since it could void your warranty. However this is the part I liked;

On the bright side though, we have now confirmed that many of the problems with the Nexus 5′s camera can in fact be fixed with a software update, and it’s likely just a matter of time before Google issues some fixes.

A developer fixed one of the worst things about the Nexus 5

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Can you take two pictures (one with HDR+ and one without) and post it here for us to take a look at? I'm interested in seeing the image quality.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Can you take two pictures (one with HDR+ and one without) and post it here for us to take a look at? I'm interested in seeing the image quality.

There are lots of people reviewing this HDR+ with the Nexus 5 that know a lot more about it than I do. Here is one review that shows two pictures with a N5 with and without HDR+ turned on.

HDR+ on Google Nexus 5 detailed: smarter, reduces motion blur

This one has even more pictures of with and without HDR+ mode. I love the difference with the water shot.

Shooting with the Nexus 5

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc