Battery life after about 2 weeks

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I know there are a few threads out there that have covered battery life already. I've read a lot about it and even in the review that Alex did, people were bashing on the battery life in the comments. So after two weeks, I think we all have solid opinions on our own devices. Please if you'd like to post your battery results, post screenshots of screen time and total usage time so people don't accuse you of lying. If you're getting great battery life, please share. If your battery life sucks, please share and maybe we can figure out why! This is my battery life. I'm a heavy user and I'm very happy with this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384751368494.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384751368494.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 305
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384751383510.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384751383510.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 306

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
5 hours of on screen time is excellent for any device. Even though I don't use my phone for normally more that 2 hours a day I aim for 4 consistently (or 2 hours when at least 50% battery life left) as merely a measuring stick of the battery performance. So far so good with the N5.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Overall my batter life kind of stinks.. I should have taken a screen shot yesterday as after 7 hours and only 55 minutes of screen time I went from 100% batter life to 15% battery life. Chrome was eating up the most battery and I think that is because I had pulled up the NASCAR live leader board in Chrome and I am guessing even with the screen powered "OFF" it was still keeping up the live running order... When I have a weak signal it eats battery faster too.. I am using Sprint and I've actually gotten better battery life by switching my network settings to 3G only... LTE is so spotty with Sprint even in a major metro area like Dallas Texas that it seems to destroy the battery trying to find and keep LTE.. I know the area's that I get great LTE coverage and when I am in those area's I'll switch the settings to LTE but like at work it goes back and forth between LTE and 3G all day long that it just drains the battery... switching it to 3G only I easily get 20% better battery life... At home on WiFi the battery last a lot longer as well.... Overall I get better life than I was getting on my Rooted GS3... but not head and shoulders better than what was a two year old phone and probably a slightly worn down battery....

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Overall my batter life kind of stinks.. I should have taken a screen shot yesterday as after 7 hours and only 55 minutes of screen time I went from 100% batter life to 15% battery life.

Wait, you must mean you had 7 hours 55 minutes of time off the charger in total. Otherwise 8 hours of on screen time is nothing at all to complain about LOL.

And yes poor signal quality can result into battery life especially on CDMA networks which have been known to be more intensive on the battery than GSM. For me, I use greenify to deep sleep apps when I am not using them. This keeps them from running background processes. In your case, you may want to take a look into an app like juice defense or deep sleep battery. Since a lot of your problems have to do with signal quality, these applications disconnect mobile networks with the screen goes off. Instead of keeping a continuous connection when not in use, it will periodically ping the network for emails, texts, etc.... I haven't used these in a while though because I found I didn't need them with greenify but again, may be a help for you with signal performance. Good luck.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Wait, you must mean you had 7 hours 55 minutes of time off the charger in total. Otherwise 8 hours of on screen time is nothing at all to complain about LOL.

And yes poor signal quality can result into battery life especially on CDMA networks which have been known to be more intensive on the battery than GSM. For me, I use greenify to deep sleep apps when I am not using them. This keeps them from running background processes. In your case, you may want to take a look into an app like juice defense or deep sleep battery. Since a lot of your problems have to do with signal quality, these applications disconnect mobile networks with the screen goes off. Instead of keeping a continuous connection when not in use, it will periodically ping the network for emails, texts, etc.... I haven't used these in a while though because I found I didn't need them with greenify but again, may be a help for you with signal performance. Good luck.

No total time off the charger was 7 hours and then total screen on time was only 55 minutes and my battery went from 100% to 15%..... Basically the phone screen was "ON" 55 minutes of those 7 hours off the charger and the battery was DEAD...

and yeah I am out of contract so I am seriously thinking of making the jump to AT&T.... People around me with AT&T get amazing signal and speeds... Sprint LTE may one day be amazing specially with the "SPARK/Tri-Band" service and the N5 is a tri band certified phone but right now their service just stinks.. with my corporate discount I can switch to AT&T and actually save money by going with just a 4 GB data plan vs my "Unlimited" Sprint plan... (I only use an average of roughly 2 GB per month and that might just be because my data sucks so much)

Diesel6401

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm personally very happy with the battery life especially compared to my stock SG3. I did just root and run CM10 on it so I'm sure battery life will be much better on it now. TouchWiz is a battery drainer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
No total time off the charger was 7 hours and then total screen on time was only 55 minutes and my battery went from 100% to 15%..... Basically the phone screen was "ON" 55 minutes of those 7 hours off the charger and the battery was DEAD...

and yeah I am out of contract so I am seriously thinking of making the jump to AT&T.... People around me with AT&T get amazing signal and speeds... Sprint LTE may one day be amazing specially with the "SPARK/Tri-Band" service and the N5 is a tri band certified phone but right now their service just stinks.. with my corporate discount I can switch to AT&T and actually save money by going with just a 4 GB data plan vs my "Unlimited" Sprint plan... (I only use an average of roughly 2 GB per month and that might just be because my data sucks so much)

Ah, I got you. I think I read it too fast and thought it said 7 hours and 55 minutes of screen time. I was about to say LOL. And good luck with whatever carrier you decide. I was a sprint a couple years ago and I hated the slow data speeds. This was before LTE when they were still insisting on WiMax but it was something about their network that I just couldn't jive with. I'm on AT&T now and everything is good for now. I'm actually looking to go prepaid in the next year or so. Looking to pay under $100 for 2 lines for comparable services.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Ah, I got you. I think I read it too fast and thought it said 7 hours and 55 minutes of screen time. I was about to say LOL. And good luck with whatever carrier you decide. I was a sprint a couple years ago and I hated the slow data speeds. This was before LTE when they were still insisting on WiMax but it was something about their network that I just couldn't jive with. I'm on AT&T now and everything is good for now. I'm actually looking to go prepaid in the next year or so. Looking to pay under $100 for 2 lines for comparable services.

Sprint has always been a good priced provider but their freaking data speeds are horrible... Even when I have a super strong LTE signal the speeds are so much slower than friends who are next to me with mediocre LTE signal on AT&T... BUT the Sprint LTE is acceptable if the overall coverage was worth a darn... They advertise full LTE coverage where I live and work... Heck going from my house (where I get a very WEAK signal unless I walk do the end of the driveway where I get a decent signal) to the gym is only a 2 1/2 mile drive and on that 2 1/2 mile drive down a major street I drop signal completely 2 or 3 times and pick up LTE only in about a 200 yard stretch and then it goes away.... Maybe this network Vision thing and Sofbank will eventually get their towers and Equipment up to snuff but right now it's horrible... not consistent at all....

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I loved this. When you hit expand it shows the Apple iPhone 5s with 10:46 talk time when the LG Nexus 5 16:40 with the same test.

The Nexus 5 clocked in 16 hours and 40 minutes before eventually going out. That’s a pretty respectable score and, for many, the most important one. So tell me why doesn't the iPhone 5s have a people calling it out for a weak battery since it is only packing a 1,570 mAh battery?

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I loved this. When you hit expand it shows the Apple iPhone 5s with 10:46 talk time when the LG Nexus 5 16:40 with the same test.

The Nexus 5 clocked in 16 hours and 40 minutes before eventually going out. That’s a pretty respectable score and, for many, the most important one. So tell me why doesn't the iPhone 5s have a people calling it out for a weak battery since it is only packing a 1,570 mAh battery?

To play devils advocate, the Nexus 5 only lasted 4:46 on web browsing, while the iPhone 5s lasted 9:58. Video playback was similar. Of course the Nexus 5 does have a much larger screen.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
To play devils advocate, the Nexus 5 only lasted 4:46 on web browsing, while the iPhone 5s lasted 9:58. Video playback was similar.

Smaller screen on the i5s that burns the most power in any phone and the real reason Apple doesn't make a 5 inch cell phone screen. The point is why does everyone put the bad battery tag on the N5 when the Apple 5s only has a tiny 1,570 mAh battery and it doesn't have that "weak battery tag line" stuck to it?

If I am going to surf the web or watch a video for hours I will do that on my Nexus 7 tablet or laptop not on my Nexus 5 cell phone. The Cell phone for voice calls, SMS texting and email is the highest priority for most people. Again my point is why does the Nexus 5 keep getting this weak battery tag line when it does the highest priority things as good or better than most cell phones? I sure don't hear many people trashing the Apple 5s for it's weak battery and I see on their boards the 5s can't even make it through one full work day for some people that are dead in the water after 6 or 7 hours.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree, the Nexus 5 battery is not bad and shouldn't be getting a bad rap, however I wouldn't say it is great either. It's average to a little above average. I rarely use my cell phone for calls, so I would much rather have better web surfing/video watching time than call time - but that's me.

Zabigayle

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I found my batttery to be pretty bad on the N5 compared to my iPhone 5s. I then rooted and added Greenify and the battery life has improved significantly. I'm not one for rooting/ROMing etc etc but the quick root and installing that app was well worth it.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone comment about how much savings, if any, turning off the LTE radio improves things?

I've noticed a roughly 20% improvement in my battery life by turning the LTE off and going to just 3G... but I am using Sprint and their LTE service in and around Dallas is so spotty the phone would always struggle and switch back and forth between 3G and LTE that it was killing my battery.. Once I forced it to stay on 3G I was getting better battery life.... I can sit here at work and watch it go from LTE to 3G to 1x all day long... Once I changed the settings to 3G only it rarely if ever drops to 1x... and my batter life improved..... with LTE on I would get to work at 7 and by 2:00 I'd be below 30 - 35%.... switching to 3G only at 2 I have been sitting around 40 - 45% remaining..

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree, the Nexus 5 battery is not bad and shouldn't be getting a bad rap, however I wouldn't say it is great either. It's average to a little above average. I rarely use my cell phone for calls, so I would much rather have better web surfing/video watching time than call time - but that's me.

It is strange that the LG G2 that is almost using the same parts as the Nexus 5 is about the best choice for all three of those tests of Voice calls, Web Surfing and watching video. Internally, the hardware inside of them are nearly identical with a quad-core 2.3GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 SoC coupled with 2GB of LPDDR3 RAM and the Adreno 330 GPU. They also share the same set of connectivity features as well, such as aGPS, Bluetooth 4.0, dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi, and NFC. The LCS screen, Camera, speakers and battery size is the biggest difference between the LG G2 and Nexus 5. The LG G2's screen it offers more video codec support over the Nexus 5. The Nexus 5 has Audio Tunneling To DSP that dramatically reduces battery consumption when playing audio at least till the LG G2 gets Kit Kat update.

Granted the LG G2 has a 3000 mAh battery that is 30% larger than the Nexus 5's 2300 mAh battery but it got much better than 30% improvement on those tests.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

The Nexus 5 clocked in 16 hours and 40 minutes before eventually going out. That?s a pretty respectable score and, for many, the most important one. So tell me why doesn't the iPhone 5s have a people calling it out for a weak battery since it is only packing a 1,570 mAh battery?

I guess fewer and fewer people use the smartphone to actually talk?

Would you complaint for a 10 hr talk time, or a 5 hr web browsing time?

@T-Mobile GN3

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm coming from a S2, so battery life on this device is great compared to the older device. I know a lot of people may not like it. Especially if coming from the G2, Moto X or Note 3. For what this device is, it's good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon