What should I get?

StaticVoidz

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I am looking at the Moto X and the Nexus 5

I am having trouble decided which one is better... The Nexus 5 seems to be more powerful but I am not sure about its build

Looking for:
Fast Phone
Cool Looks
Good Battery

Thanks, StaticVoidz

Hionimi

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
From what I read the Nexus 5 doesn't have the best battery life and camera, other than that it should be a pretty solid phone, certainly has nice looks. Though then, when you look here, the Moto X is just a dual core while the Nexus 5 is equipped with a beefy Snapdragon 800 chipset and a Krait 400 quad core. What I also notice from that comparison is that the Moto X has longer standby time, but the Nexus 5 has longer talk time, so might be performing better when actively used.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
They're both great. I've never had a Moto X but do have a G2 and N5. That's a tough choice. You'll get faster updates and the latest android with the N5 but more features with the Moto X. What's more important to ya?

G Pad 8.3

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I get the same battery life with my N5 as I did with my iPhone 5. The battery is fine. Is it great? Nope. But I get 15 hours out of it daily.

From what I read the Nexus 5 doesn't have the best battery life and camera, other than that it should be a pretty solid phone, certainly has nice looks. Though then, when you look here, the Moto X is just a dual core while the Nexus 5 is equipped with a beefy Snapdragon 800 chipset and a Krait 400 quad core. What I also notice from that comparison is that the Moto X has longer standby time, but the Nexus 5 has longer talk time, so might be performing better when actively used.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't have either and I haven't even used the N5 as a demo but from what I've seen I'd say get the X.
Better dorm factor and cooler looking even though the N5 is pretty sexy too.
Battery life though, the Moto X kills the 5

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I am looking at the Moto X and the Nexus 5

I am having trouble decided which one is better... The Nexus 5 seems to be more powerful but I am not sure about its build

Looking for:
Fast Phone
Cool Looks
Good Battery

Fast - No contest. Nexus 5 is significantly faster. This video was intended to demonstrate the "always on" functionality of the Moto X (and it does show how cool it is) but look at the start-up times for Google Now. Moto X is a good 5 or 6 seconds slower, and for smartphones that are supposed to be top tier, that's significant IMO. It's not just benchmarks. Voice Search: The Moto X vs. the Nexus 5 - YouTube

Cool Looks - This is subjective. I personally prefer the sleek minimalism of the nexus, but the Moto X is customizable, which is almost unheard of in smartphones and is a neat feature.

Battery - They are probably about the same, but the Moto X is better at conserving it. In Rundown tests I think the Moto X spanks the nexus 5 in every area except talk time (for some weird reason the nexus is really really good in talk time). LG Nexus 5 battery life test - GSMArena Blog

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
From what I read the Nexus 5 doesn't have the best battery life and camera
The Camera quality is as good as anything I have seen so far except the Lumia. I am still waiting for someone to post examples of a better camera. It's like people are repeating what they've heard about it rather than looking at the images themselves.

91113d1384117510t-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-img_20131109_162559.jpg

91189d1384186114t-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-png7.jpg

91185d1384186020t-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-png2.jpg

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-5.html

Which cameras are producing better images than those? Can someone post samples?

, other than that it should be a pretty solid phone, certainly has nice looks. Though then, when you look here, the Moto X is just a dual core while the Nexus 5 is equipped with a beefy Snapdragon 800 chipset and a Krait 400 quad core.
I totally agree that the number of cores does not necessarily mean anything. But the yeah, the Nexus 5 is significantly faster. You can see it in that video too.

What I also notice from that comparison is that the Moto X has longer standby time, but the Nexus 5 has longer talk time, so might be performing better when actively used.
More likely I think the Nexus just has a dedicated chip for voice calling or something. So that the main CPU is idle while on a voice call. The Moto X is definitely getting better battery life in rundown tests. I've seen that on several sites.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is not "significantly faster" than the Moto X in everyday use. There are some areas where you'll notice a little difference, but for the most part it's a wash. I'm assuming the move to 4.4 (which should be very, very soon) will only help cement that. Battery life is definitely better on the Moto X; again, a move to 4.4 is only going to make that gap wider. The in-hand feel is subjective, but since I own both devices, I can offer an opinion. The Moto X is more comfortable to hold and easier to use with one hand. Now that Moto Maker is available for all 4 major carriers, you can customize the hell out of it, too.

If you're concerned about price and want a phone off contract, get the Nexus 5. If price is no issue for you or you don't care about buying a phone on contract, get the Moto X. While I've been using the Nexus 5 as my daily driver for the past week or so, I'll be switching back to the Moto X as soon as it gets 4.4.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
It's always a preference thing.. I looked at the Moto X and if they had Moto maker live on all Networks at launch I might have that instead of the Nexus 5.. The customizing the phone thing is pretty neat.. I do have someone at work who has a Moto X and I think it's a super slick phone... The only apprehension I had was it's size... It seems considerably smaller than my GS3 I had and I think both the Nexus 5 and Moto X have very nice screens the size difference seems a lot bigger than it really is... After having my Nexus 5 and putting it up next to the Moto X it just seems like a monster.... Go to a Sprint store (Since they carry both) and compare them side by side... see which one feels better in your hand and which one looks better in your eyes....

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is not "significantly faster" than the Moto X in everyday use.
According to who? In Jerry's video, it seems a lot faster for Google now...which for a lot of people is everyday use.

There are some areas where you'll notice a little difference
A 5 or 6 second delay is not "little" IMO...especially if that is indicative of performance on every app. The Moto X appears as fast on basic UI functions probably (swiping, tapping, screen transitions, whatever).

I'm assuming the move to 4.4 (which should be very, very soon) will only help cement that.
It might. It did not seem to do a lot for my Nexus 4 though. I think ART will make a bigger difference.

The in-hand feel is subjective, but since I own both devices, I can offer an opinion. The Moto X is more comfortable to hold and easier to use with one hand. Now that Moto Maker is available for all 4 major carriers, you can customize the hell out of it, too.
And as a Nexus fanboy, I'd have to agree. The Moto X clearly has the edge there. Though the Nexus 5 is definitely an improvement over the awful glass back of the Nexus 4.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I think the 5-6 second comment is way off. You're clearly not "counting" correctly. Maybe 2-3 seconds tops from the videos I've seen.
As noted, it's all about "preference". Read reviews and watch comparison videos and make your decision that way. You can't base your decision on comments from people who don't own the device imo.

tap'n

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I think the 5-6 second comment is way off. You're clearly not "counting" correctly. Maybe 2-3 seconds tops from the videos I've seen.
As noted, it's all about "preference". Read reviews and watch comparison videos and make your decision that way. You can't base your decision on comments from people who don't own the device imo.
I think people who have actually used the phone can have a valid opinion on it, even if they have not owned it. And some things, like camera image quality, do not require the use of the phone at all. You can just compare the photos directly.

In the video, using the the video's time index, it was at least 3 seconds (starts at 19, ends at 21). I did overestimate it. Thats still a lot though for a phone with a supposedly comparable CPU for everyday tasks. The CPU power does matter. It is not just for benchmark epeens. In any CPU-intensive task, you are going to notice it.

The UI differences nowadays are small because all these new phones have monster amounts of RAM. It is nice to see that vendors are finally getting it about RAM requirements. "adequate" is not "optimal". 4.4 will run on half a gig but it will be a noticeably worse experience.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
According to who? In Jerry's video, it seems a lot faster for Google now...which for a lot of people is everyday use.

A 5 or 6 second delay is not "little" IMO...especially if that is indicative of performance on every app. The Moto X appears as fast on basic UI functions probably (swiping, tapping, screen transitions, whatever).

It might. It did not seem to do a lot for my Nexus 4 though. I think ART will make a bigger difference.

And as a Nexus fanboy, I'd have to agree. The Moto X clearly has the edge there. Though the Nexus 5 is definitely an improvement over the awful glass back of the Nexus 4.

You cited one thing it's faster at doing. I don't notice a 5-6 second difference when I use them side by side with Google Now, although the Nexus 5 is a little faster. In almost everything else, you're not going to notice a performance difference. So again, no, it is not significantly faster unless you pay attention to synthetic benchmarks. As far as 4.4 goes, any improvement in overall performance and battery on a phone like the Moto X is icing on the cake. They're also improving the camera according to the changelog.

As far as you go, Jeff, I really don't know what to say. You clearly love the Nexus line and don't want anything else to be better than it. I get it. Unfortunately for you, there are better phones out there (albeit at higher price points) and you're going to have to come to terms with it. You should probably lay off making comments about phones you don't own/haven't used, though.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
You cited one thing it's faster at doing.
Because thats the only video comparison I have seen so far. It is not hearsay. If you have other examples, feel free to post them. I'd be happy to take a look.

I don't notice a 5-6 second difference when I use them side by side with Google Now, although the Nexus 5 is a little faster.
I was actually wrong about that. It's not that large, it just felt like it. The actual difference was 3 seconds. That is still significant IMO.

In almost everything else, you're not going to notice a performance difference.
Why? Who determined that?

So again, no, it is not significantly faster unless you pay attention to synthetic benchmarks.
That video was not a benchamrk. That was an example of a real world performance difference on something a lot of people use daily.

As far as you go, Jeff, I really don't know what to say. You clearly love the Nexus line
...if you ignore every criticism I have made about it. And I have made many.

You clearly have decided I am a hopeless biased fanboy though.

Unfortunately for you, there are better phones out there (albeit at higher price points) and you're going to have to come to terms with it.
LOL. someday I will come to terms with the fact that your opinion is more correct than mine. Ok.

You should probably lay off making comments about phones you don't own/haven't used, though.
Request denied. If you don't want to hear my opinion, block me. I can show you how to add my name to the ignore function if you want.

What you are basically telling me is that all I need to do to have a valid opinion on here is lie and say I have owned all these phones, whether I have or not. Then my opinion will magically matter.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Because thats the only video comparison I have seen so far. It is not hearsay. If you have other examples, feel free to post them. I'd be happy to take a look.

I was actually wrong about that. It's not that large, it just felt like it. The actual difference was 3 seconds. That is still significant IMO.

Why? Who determined that?

That video was not a benchamrk. That was an example of a real world performance difference on something a lot of people use daily.

...if you ignore every criticism I have made about it. And I have made many.

You clearly have decided I am a hopeless biased fanboy though.

LOL. someday I will come to terms with the fact that your opinion is more correct than mine. Ok.

Request denied. If you don't want to hear my opinion, block me. I can show you how to add my name to the ignore function if you want.

What you are basically telling me is that all I need to do to have a valid opinion on here is lie and say I have owned all these phones, whether I have or not. Then my opinion will magically matter.

You flat-out said the Nexus 5 is "significantly faster" than the Moto X based on one video you saw where it was slightly faster on -one- thing. You're wrong. It's not about opinion at this point. The reason being is because if you did own both phones, you'd know that's wrong. It's hard not to write you off as some ignorant fanboy considering how you make comments like this and just don't know what you're talking about.

I don't want you to lie and say you've used phones you haven't. I don't want you to do anything, honestly. You can keep on doing what you're doing and contributing to "Should I buy?" threads with opinions based on nothing but bias towards the Nexus 5. Either myself or someone else who's used the devices in question and know what they're talking about will probably be there to correct you.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
You flat-out said the Nexus 5 is "significantly faster" than the Moto X based on one video
That is incorrect. I am not basing my opinion only on that video. The video supported the benchmarks I had already seen on this site and others. No one needs to take my word for anything...they can look at the video, or camera photos, or benchmarks, and judge for themselves.

You're an anonymous user on this forum. You could claim anything and I have no way of verifying it. But that video is something we can both see at the same time, and from a source we both accept. Likewise, I also accept Benchmarks on major sites as reasonably unbiased, as do most users on here.

you saw where it was slightly faster on -one- thing. You're wrong. It's not about opinion at this point.
It's not. Because it's documented. It's no longer subjective hearsay because we both saw it.

It's hard not to write you off as some ignorant fanboy considering how you make comments like this and just don't know what you're talking about.
In your opinion. You seem to have a huge problem with my disagreeing with your opinion. Other people are entitled to opinions just like you are.

I think my opinions are valid because I have expensive experience with Android phones in general, because I am well read on Android phones in general, and because I have actually used both of these phones.

I don't want you to lie and say you've used phones you haven't. I don't want you to do anything, honestly. You can keep on doing what you're doing and contributing to "Should I buy?" threads with opinions based on nothing but bias towards the Nexus 5. Either myself or someone else who's used the devices in question and know what they're talking about will probably be there to correct you.
Feel free to if you want. I am perfectly ok with your input on here. I was not being sarcastic before...if you have other video demonstrations of the Nexus 5 and Moto X, I'd like to see them.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
That is incorrect. I am not basing my opinion only on that video. The video supported the benchmarks I had already seen on this site and others. No one needs to take my word for anything...they can look at the video, or camera photos, or benchmarks, and judge for themselves.

You're an anonymous user on this forum. You could claim anything and I have no way of verifying it. But that video is something we can both see at the same time, and from a source we both accept. Likewise, I also accept Benchmarks on major sites as reasonably unbiased, as do most users on here.

It's not. Because it's documented. It's no longer subjective hearsay because we both saw it.

In your opinion. You seem to have a huge problem with my disagreeing with your opinion. Other people are entitled to opinions just like you are.

I think my opinions are valid because I have expensive experience with Android phones in general, because I am well read on Android phones in general, and because I have actually used both of these phones.

Feel free to if you want. I am perfectly ok with your input on here. I was not being sarcastic before...if you have other video demonstrations of the Nexus 5 and Moto X, I'd like to see them.

You're not understanding. You saw one thing move faster on the Nexus 5 and then proclaimed the Nexus 5 "significantly faster". That's beyond ignorant. From the very author of that video on the same comparison article:

"Lots of numbers here. They all favor the Nexus 5 (unless a temperature sensor counts). You can look at these all day, and form whatever opinion you like, but the fact is that Motorola's custom micro-architecture — dubbed X8 — drives Android as fast or faster than the "superior" hardware in the Nexus 5." -Jerry

You know what I like about that quote? The word "fact". Because he's right. Anyone that's used both phones would know that. Enough said.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
You flat-out said the Nexus 5 is "significantly faster" than the Moto X based on one video you saw where it was slightly faster on -one- thing.
A 3 second delay for you is "slight;" for Jeff it's "significant." Actually, it's both. Look at the video again. The command ends at 15 secs. The Nexus 5 is done with the search at 18 seconds, the Moto X at 21 seconds. This means that from the time the command finished, the Nexus 5 took 3 seconds to complete the exact same task that took the Moto X 6 seconds. That is TWICE the time. This isn't opinion, it's math. I'd say *twice* the time to complete a task as simple as search is very significant. But, it's also 3 seconds, one way or another, and unless you're conducting neurosurgery with your phone, those 3 seconds may well be "slight."

The thing is, "slight" is a matter of opinion, whereas "significant" actually has a statistical definition when it comes to relative comparisons. And since benchmark tests or video comparisons are the ONLY way to settle the precise performance difference, if they say it's significant, it's significant, even if you don't notice it. It doesn't have to matter to you in order to be significant.

You can keep on doing what you're doing and contributing to "Should I buy?" threads with opinions based on nothing but bias towards the Nexus 5. Either myself or someone else who's used the devices in question and know what they're talking about will probably be there to correct you.
What you're forgetting is that this thread was posted in the Nexus 5 forum! You are suddenly surprised that people who are on the Nexus 5 forum tend to be partial to the Nexus 5? That partiality, however, doesn't necessarily mean a lack of objectivity. It's plausible that people who bought the Nexus 5 (or chose it) had the option to get a Moto X and decided not to. They have the right to say why. It doesn't make them fanboys. It makes them consumers with an opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol