Nexus 5 downloading every app I've ever downloaded.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 5 is downloading every app I've ever downloaded, I sign into google and it started downloading all apps, usually I can hit stop and just download the few I want after I tell it to restore data. This time it won't stop downloading them. For example I saw that it was downloading my verizon app, I hit stop. Then the next time I went to use my phone my verizon was installed. I just deleted it, hopefully it won't show up again. I went to google in acounts and turned off app data. Don't know if anyone else has had this happen? If it's attached to google cloud services , and every time it re syncs how do I stop it from happening?

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
yep same thing happened to me. beyond annoying. go into the play store while it's happening and cancel all downloads. then you have to either manually add the ones you want from your history or remove the ones you don't by hitting the x in the upper rt corner of the app card. reboot the phone and all is well. after you do this once, i guess google gets an imprint of your N5 because if/when you wipe it will only install those apps going forward...

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a Nexus 10 and use some different apps on it, when I signed into Google on my
Nexus 5 it also downloaded both the apps from my phone and my tablet.

ring o fire

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I've had this happen before. On my nexus 4 actually. I set up my N5 as a new device. Easiest way to stop this, in case someone catches this before they get there's, hit airplane mode and it'll cut your data and you can figure it all out.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

tim440

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I think it only downloads apps you had installed most recently, as opposed to everything ever.

Posted via Android Central App

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
For those cancelled the download in the middle, try reboot your phone and see what happens :( Upon reboot, my N5 started over and re-download all the apps that I stopped before . Not sure I remembered how I finally make it stop forever.

This is the automatic back and restore process of Android OS. But not working very well, IMO.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
For those cancelled the download in the middle, try reboot your phone and see what happens :( Upon reboot, my N5 started over and re-download all the apps that I stopped before . Not sure I remembered how I finally make it stop forever.

This is the automatic back and restore process of Android OS. But not working very well, IMO.

Agreed. In the past, I had WANTED this kind of thing to happen automatically, but it was never very consistent in what was restored, nor when it would restore. Now it's overboard and installing all this bloatware from other phones I've owned in the past that was automatically added to my App History. I stopped it then deleted the ones that finished downloading, and then went through to clear up some of my App History. Then I disabled backup/restore =\

indianajonze

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I mentioned how to stop it. you need to stop the download and delete the ones you dont want from your history. i think the problem is that it doesn't have a profile for your new N5 device, so it dl's everything it thinks you want. after you set it up with the apps you really want, the auto restore works fine. i've wiped the phone twice now and it restores only the apps i have installed on the N5

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
When you set the phone up you have 2 options, download everything or don't download anything. Once you have the phone the way you want it and back it up future resets will be fine.

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
for my N5 it was installing everything ever...

Yep that's exactly what mine was doing. As well as adding them back after I stopped them. The problem is, going through my extremely long Google play history will take some time. I went to the computer thinking that it would be faster and what's even more strange is on the pc, go to my apps and it says apps that aren't installed are installed. So I can't hit the X and delete them on there I have to do it on the phone.

So from now on ill set it up as a new phone.

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Yep that's exactly what mine was doing. As well as adding them back after I stopped them. The problem is, going through my extremely long Google play history will take some time. I went to the computer thinking that it would be faster and what's even more strange is on the pc, go to my apps and it says apps that aren't installed are installed. So I can't hit the X and delete them on there I have to do it on the phone.

So from now on ill set it up as a new phone.

It amazes me that they haven't implemented a better way to clean up the app history, I have tons of apps from years ago that I just don't use anymore but it's a pain to go in and manually delete them all one by one.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I did what everyone has suggested (stopped downloads, removed from app history, and installed the apps I wanted). Made sure to sync app data with Google and later did a factory reset and phone again began auto installing every app I ever downloaded. Very odd.

It amazes me that they haven't implemented a better way to clean up the app history, I have tons of apps from years ago that I just don't use anymore but it's a pain to go in and manually delete them all one by one.

You can select multiple at a time and then delete.

Battleship

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I did what everyone has suggested (stopped downloads, removed from app history, and installed the apps I wanted). Made sure to sync app data with Google and later did a factory reset and phone again began auto installing every app I ever downloaded. Very odd.
Have you gone into the Playstore app and selected Do Not Auto-Update Apps? That was the first thing I did when I got the N5 and I've had no issues with apps auto-installing.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
That setting isnt the problem. I have no issues once the phone is setup, the problem is if I factory restore it then auto installs every app I ever installed and not just the ones that were installed on the nexus 5 prior to reset. I want it to auto install, but only the apps that were previously installed on the nexus 5.

Battleship

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
IIRC, during initial set-up and right after you've provided your Gmail credentials but before your account syncs, there's an option for you to restore from Google servers. I can't remember the exact wording, but it's something like "keep this phone backed up with my Google Account." That step should be skipped, which you can do by unticking the box. Hope that helps.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, doesn't let me, never has. I always assumed they just had a jacked up system in place. Going have to look into this some more and figure out why I can't.

Delete downloaded app history from Google Play - CNET Mobile

long press on any of the apps until your device vibrates and the app is selected. You can then continue to long press on apps listed in your history and tap on the delete icon at the top of your screen when you're done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nQNp6w1G24