USB charging very slow on the Nexus 5?

pranxx

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else experienced this? Even if I plug it in all day it still wont charge fully. I am using an extra kindle usb to micro-usb cable which I had lying around.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Re: N5 charging through USB very slow?

Has anyone else experienced this? Even if I plug it in all day it still wont charge fully. I am using an extra kindle usb to micro-usb cable which I had lying around.
Try the cable and AC adapter that came with your Nexus 5. If it gives you the same result, then you have a faulty unit. If it does not, then your kindle cable is no good for your N5.

pranxx

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

It charges fine though the AC adapter. While I haven't timed it, it gets fully charged overnight. I use usb because I have the spare cable and dont want to carry the AC adapter everywhere I go. My understanding was that the usb cable has nothing to do with charging speed.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Normal USB port only gives out 500mA max, far below what most of today's smartphone requires (700mA to 1000+mA). That's why it is charging so slow. The AC adapter has the special port that can supply full amperage your phone requires. A lot phone also won't charge at all on 500mA USB power if the battery is critically low.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I saw my new N5 go from 48% to 100% charged in one hour and two minutes with the AC charger. It could have been faster but that was when I looked at it.

That is fast in my book since my 2012 Nexus 7 tablet takes like 6 hours to charge. You can't even charge my N7 tablet by plugging it into the USB port on my Windows laptop that will discharge the N7 since it doesn't have enough mA to even charge it.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I've found the Nexus 5 charges super slow via the USB port.. I mostly use wireless charging now and they charge faster than the included USB cable and adapter... I've even tried my GS3 cable and adapter and the Nexus 7 USB and adapter and even the Nexus 4 wireless charging orb adapter and USB cable.... My phone just charges super slow..... I think it's possible a few of us got a faulty USB charging port.... because I've heard some say it charges fast and other say it charges slow... but I can be at 30% battery left and plug it up via USB and two hours later I am only at like 88%.... same 30% remaining and I throw it one of the two Qi Wireless chargers I use (Two different types.. TYLT VU and Nexus 4 Charging orb) and they both get to 100% in less than two hours.... I've always made it a habit to plug my phone up two hours before I leave work for the day so I KNOW I have a good charge all night.... I had to start plugging it up 2 1/2 - 3 hours before leaving to get that full charge until I got the VU wireless charger for my desk...

rws381

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

Unfortunately my Mophie Juice Pack Powerstation doesn't do a very good job of charging my N5. USB via A/C and N4 wireless charger work really well though.

pranxx

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I noticed a difference in the charging speed when I connected it directly to my laptop as opposed to using usb hub. Its not blazing fast still but thats ok.

axis.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Through the regular AC charger, my N5 charges as it should. But charging my N5 at work using a generic USB cable / work PC USB port, if the screen is on, my N5 discharges quicker than it charges lol. My battery app says it'll charge from 50% after like 8.5 hours using my USB cable at work lol

pranxx

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Which app do you use? I am looking for aan app which will tell me how much time the battery will take to reach 100% while charging.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I use an extra Galaxy Nexus cable at work to charge my phone and at 50% it generally takes about 3 hours.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

Most newer computers and laptops contain a mix of USB ports; if your system has a USB 3.0 port (the internal tab is a distinctly blue color) use this one to charge your phone as it has a significantly higher power output than the other ports.

Yellow USB ports, on the other hand, are "always on" even when your laptop is closed and turned off. I'm not sure about the current rating of these always on ports, but they can be used to charge your phone even when the laptop itself is off.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

I use an extra Galaxy Nexus cable at work to charge my phone and at 50% it generally takes about 3 hours.

I charged my new Nexus 5 from 48% to 100% in just a 62 minutes with the stock charger that came with it and AC adapter.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

I charged my new Nexus 5 from 48% to 100% in just a 62 minutes with the stock charger that came with it and AC adapter.

- - - Updated - - -

its not about the cable, its about the current output of your charger.

We are talking about USB charging, ie; plugged into the PC. Using the AC adapter significantly speeds things up.

sideshot

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

ok now we need on all computers 3.0 usb and usb cell phone charging port and it must be adjustable so you can set the amps volts and what not :D

pranxx

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I got a widget called currentWidget to tell me how much power the phone is drawing. Had my phone plugged in all day to a 1 amp car charger during a trip and it charged only 5%. Maybe I should have put it in airplane mode

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I got a widget called currentWidget to tell me how much power the phone is drawing. Had my phone plugged in all day to a 1 amp car charger during a trip and it charged only 5%. Maybe I should have put it in airplane mode

This is a common problem with phones of all brands/types and car chargers of all brands/types.

You would all be far better off buying a power inverter (plugs into your lighter socket and converts the 12v DC to 120 v AC) and then plug your regular charger into the inverter.

Any 100 watt power inverter would be more than sufficient: https://www.google.com/search?q=car...erter&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=shop

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

If that charger is originally design for iPhones, you will never get 1 amp out of it, only 500ma. iPhones use different wiring to identify AC/Car chargers than rest of the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks