Does it bother you that N5 doesn't have SD card slot?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Nexus line will never have sdcard support. Which to many that understand the technical reasons why appreciate Google's decision to stay away from them.

32 gb is actually more than you think. Sure it may not hold your massive collection of music or video but it does hold a decent amount and that where cloud support or other online storage services come into play.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Every phone I had before the Nexus 4 had SD. Never had problems with it once. My boyfriend has an S3...got it last year. No problems either.

I had no problem navigating storage with SD. It just showed up like another hard drive. And even if I did...I always had the option to just not install SD if I didn't want to use it.

Same here. Every phone before hand i used the same SD card, literally, it was 64 gb. Slammed that sucker into my S3 and in less than half the year i owned it my SD card was corrupted. Not even my computer could recognize it when i took it out of the device. That pissed me off incredibly and i thank dropbox for backing all my stuff up. But now i no longer care, simply because of OTG cables.

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
hmm, ive never had an issue with a Micro SD CARD. I had a 16GB/class 4 in my GS1 and is stil being usd in another phone and have a 32GB/class 10 in my GS3. No issues ever and i have all my music on it and movies. The 16GB is a Kingston and the 32GB is a PNY.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
i like phones with SD card slot, now im thinking of buying N5, but whats keeping me back is NO CARD SLOT..

Contrary to popular belief, Google is not against memory cards, but it limits them to the Chromebook line (e.g. Acer C7, Samsung Chromebook, Chromebook Pixel) and the Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play edition smartphone. So, if you need a phone that supports memory cards, you have to get an S4, which is not a Nexus phone, but it runs stock Android.

If you must have a Nexus 5, you should get the 32 GB model. Unfortunately, you will need to get used to transferring and deleting files on your phone.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Contrary to popular belief, Google is not against memory cards, but it limits them to the Chromebook line (e.g. Acer C7, Samsung Chromebook, Chromebook Pixel) and the Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play edition smartphone. So, if you need a phone that supports memory cards, you have to get an S4, which is not a Nexus phone, but it runs stock Android.

If you must have a Nexus 5, you should get the 32 GB model. Unfortunately, you will need to get used to transferring and deleting files on your phone.

But wouldn't the gs4 gpe cost twice as much? That's why the Nexus is so appealing.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Nexus line will never have sdcard support. Which to many that understand the technical reasons why appreciate Google's decision to stay away from them.

32 gb is actually more than you think. Sure it may not hold your massive collection of music or video but it does hold a decent amount and that where cloud support or other online storage services come into play.

You mean the technical reason that "Google wants users to use cloud service, since every minute customers use Internet, Google makes profit"

Btw, 32 G is not alot, especially with only 26 G available.

@T-Mobile GN3

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You mean the technical reason that "Google wants users to use cloud service, since every minute customers use Internet, Google makes profit"

@T-Mobile GN3

Google wasn't supporting sdcards with the Nexus line long before they began to introduce and push cloud services.

IMO, the Nexus line is capable of multimedia and providing a good experience but in all honesty if I wanted to enjoy multimedia and hold a huge amount of content on my device there is much better suited choices in the branded devices from various OEMs. Not to mention aside from bigger storage options they also have more user friendly and advanced software to use over standard Google media apps

Sent from my awesome HTC One using Tapatalk.

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I've owned a Nexus phone since the Nexus One, I think SD cards are a pain, they get corrupt and if you don't have a class 10 card and store A lot of pictures on it then you better be prepared for the nice thumbnail lag when you open up your photo gallery. All my music is stored on Google Music (no I don't care about them owning my stuff)

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Same here. Every phone before hand i used the same SD card, literally, it was 64 gb. Slammed that sucker into my S3 and in less than half the year i owned it my SD card was corrupted. Not even my computer could recognize it when i took it out of the device. That pissed me off incredibly and i thank dropbox for backing all my stuff up. But now i no longer care, simply because of OTG cables.
Just want to add...I still use the SD card that I bought for my Droid 1. It still works just fine.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

Yep...32 gigs is "adequate" at best. "Good" would be 64 or more.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Google wasn't supporting sdcards with the Nexus line long before they began to introduce and push cloud services.

IMO, the Nexus line is capable of multimedia and providing a good experience but in all honesty if I wanted to enjoy multimedia and hold a huge amount of content on my device there is much better suited choices in the branded devices from various OEMs.
Which of them run vanilla android?

There is nothing comparable to the nexus in hardware or software that also has SD. Thats why I got a Nexus. It's not because I do not want SD.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I've owned a Nexus phone since the Nexus One, I think SD cards are a pain, they get corrupt and if you don't have a class 10 card and store A lot of pictures on it then you better be prepared for the nice thumbnail lag when you open up your photo gallery. All my music is stored on Google Music (no I don't care about them owning my stuff)
LOL! I have never had a single corrupt SD card. Not only on my devices, but on anyone else's devices as well from friends and family. It is obviously not THAT common.

I still use the SD from my Droid 1 in an SD thumb drive.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
LOL! I have never had a single corrupt SD card. Not only on my devices, but on anyone else's devices as well from friends and family. It is obviously not THAT common.

Indeed, I have 4 microSD card, 6+ SD card. I had one SD card corruptted on me during a hot unplug after exchanging a 12,000 file folder with computer (Luckily I had backup). None of my microSD, which usually stays in the device, ever had any problem.

I don't deny the possibility of an microSD being corrupt, but to describe it as "common, routine" is simply untrue.

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Indeed, I have 4 microSD card, 6+ SD card. I had one SD card corruptted on me during a hot unplug after exchanging a 12,000 file folder with computer (Luckily I had backup). None of my microSD, which usually stays in the device, ever had any problem.

I don't deny the possibility of an microSD being corrupt, but to describe it as "common, routine" is simply untrue.

No where did I state it was a "common" problem I said it is a possibility and a downside to having an sd card.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Which of them run vanilla android?

There is nothing comparable to the nexus in hardware or software that also has SD. Thats why I got a Nexus. It's not because I do not want SD.
I agree with you there. I too am a Nexus fanboy. I've had the Sprint Nexus S 4G, Sprint GNex and also my trusty Nexus 7 (2012) model. I love pure AOSP for what it offers not only as software but also the Nexus line itself with easy bootloader unlocking, custom ROMs and official factory images.

But I think when it comes down to it, I'll take a branded device for multimedia over the Nexus line.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

One of my friends just got his 1 year old SD card replaced under warranty by SanDisk that has a 5 year warranty on his SD card. He got his Samsung Notes 2 with the SD card from Sprint store. It was deleting pictures from the SD Card and some times the SD card had temporary read/write issues. Got his new card and it works well.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
so, which version did u guys get, 16GB or 32GB... and how to conserve space?

Yes, It bothers me, but not nearly as much as not having a replaceable battery.

If you're worried about space, you HAVE to get the 32gb. You'll run out of space on the 16 very quickly if you plan to drop a few movies on the thing. I still bought the Nexus 5 (even though it lacks two things I really want) because it's still a good deal on a great phone.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
One of my friends just got his 1 year old SD card replaced under warranty by SanDisk that has a 5 year warranty on his SD card. He got his Samsung Notes 2 with the SD card from Sprint store. It was deleting pictures from the SD Card and some times the SD card had temporary read/write issues. Got his new card and it works well.

There's something wrong with Samsung's software it seems. The people mostly having problems with their cards are using Samsung devices.

I haven't had problems with cards on my LG devices. And the HTC Desire also has a card slot. Many mid range phones still have this feature. And dual core is not bad. I'd say the LG Optimus G Pro is high end and it has a card slot. I wanted to buy one but it was too expensive at the time.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20