Does it bother you that N5 doesn't have SD card slot?

hell911

May 5, 2012
Visit site
i like phones with SD card slot, now im thinking of buying N5, but whats keeping me back is NO CARD SLOT..

i can get 32GB version, but im not sure if 32GB will be enough for the apps today with few 1080p movies, HD games are like 1GB+, so if have like 5 of them, its going to take a lot of space.

so, which version did u guys get, 16GB or 32GB... and how to conserve space?

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
i like phones with SD card slot, now im thinking of buying N5, but whats keeping me back is NO CARD SLOT..

i can get 32GB version, but im not sure if 32GB will be enough for the apps today with few 1080p movies, HD games are like 1GB+, so if have like 5 of them, its going to take a lot of space.

I haven't cared about an SD card slot in a long time. From using iPhones to the HTC one, G2, it just seems that sooner or later we won't have SD cards at all. But to compensate for that, I'd expect there to be more internal storage options in the future. I mean for some 32GB is not enough if they want to carry everything on their phone. Once upon a time I thought I needed everything on my phone but over time realized I didn't. I no longer keep 210 home videos on my phone storage or sync my entire music library because I didn't use those things. They are kept in the cloud and the stuff I need (or feel like I need) is on my phone. You have to determine if you can make compromises in certain areas on what you really need on your device vs what is ok to be kept in the cloud. It's really up to the user. 1 year ago 16GB wasn't enough onboard storage for me. Now it is. My preferences and requirements changed over time. It's really depends on the user and their needs.

Last edited:

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
For me I actually prefer no SD card. I had an s3 before and my SD card kept getting formatted which was annoying. I only had the phone for a year and I went through 3 SD cards. Internal storage is a lot simpler.

Posted via Android Central App

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Simple solution get one of these;

SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive

Store and Stream HD Content Across Your Mobile Devices ideal for family vacations and rainy days, the Wireless Media Drive is the perfect pocket-sized entertainment device that streams high-definition movies, photos, and music on tablets, smartphones, and computers. It also includes an SDHC/SDXC card slot for instant sharing of those awesome birthday pictures and videos you just took on your digital camera with friends and family.** And with up to 8 hours of continuous streaming per charge**, it will keep the whole family entertained longer.

Store and stream your HD** content across multiple mobile devices
Up to 8 hours of wireless streaming per charge**
Includes SDHC/SDXC memory card slot for storage expansion** and instant viewing of your photos from your camera.
Durable aluminum housing
Stream five different HD movies simultaneously
Works with iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Kindle Fire, and Android™ devices
Wi-Fi Password Protection**
Download the SanDisk Wireless Media app for quick access

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Does it bother you that N5 doesn't have SD card slot?
Not as much as it used to. Having a 32 gig option helps, as does functional USB OTG support and LTE. Now it is mostly a minor annoyance for me. Everything else about the phone is so awesome that I can overlook it.

i like phones with SD card slot, now im thinking of buying N5, but whats keeping me back is NO CARD SLOT.
Then keep on truckin. Because google are simply not going to do it. Maybe it is because they want to keep a reason to buy vendor phones. Maybe it is because they want to force you to use the cloud. I definitely do NOT believe the reason is cost. But for whatever reason, they hate SD and will never add it.

I agree with you that the lack of SD is definitely not an asset.

I argued this loudly on the forum a while back and was shouted down. Android Central staff are not sympathetic either. They don't see it as a big deal. There are actually people on this forum who think 8 gigs is plenty. No joke.

Get used to storing crap online. USB OTG is also an option, though probably not as convenient. It's not an ideal solution, but it's better than nothing. Be thankful you at least have a 32 gig option now...last generation 16 gigs was as good as it got.

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I personally don't care about SD cards. I like a nice clean design and 32 GB has been enough for me so far. I don't carry around all my media so that makes a big difference.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
For me I actually prefer no SD card. I had an s3 before and my SD card kept getting formatted which was annoying. I only had the phone for a year and I went through 3 SD cards. Internal storage is a lot simpler.
Every phone I had before the Nexus 4 had SD. Never had problems with it once. My boyfriend has an S3...got it last year. No problems either.

I had no problem navigating storage with SD. It just showed up like another hard drive. And even if I did...I always had the option to just not install SD if I didn't want to use it.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't care about SD cards. I like a nice clean design and 32 GB has been enough for me so far. I don't carry around all my media so that makes a big difference.
I still carry around all my media. Now I am forced to carry it on a USB drive instead of in my phone. This is a nice bandaid solution now that USB OTG actually works, but it is far from ideal.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't bother me... Google seems to be completely against them and their true business is NOT selling phones... It's getting you to sign up and use their services which would push you to "Drive" and hopefully get you on a paid monthly plan for added space in the cloud... Plus I am sure storing all your information in their cloud helps them gather information they can use to drive their ad revenue (their true business) I didn't mind having an SD slot... I had a GS3 and added a 32 gig SD card and stored all my pictures and video's on there... I got the 32 gig Nexus 5 and that is plenty for me... I use the play movies a lot and stream my music as well... I have Chromecast on all my TV's and two Sony Google TV's cut the cord from Cable and only do the Netflix/Hulu thing as well as Play movies/TV... So streaming isn't bad for what I like to do.... internal memory is not needed as much as it was just a few years ago....

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Simple solution get one of these;

SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive

Store and Stream HD Content Across Your Mobile Devices ideal for family vacations and rainy days, the Wireless Media Drive is the perfect pocket-sized entertainment device that streams high-definition movies, photos, and music on tablets, smartphones, and computers. It also includes an SDHC/SDXC card slot for instant sharing of those awesome birthday pictures and videos you just took on your digital camera with friends and family.** And with up to 8 hours of continuous streaming per charge**, it will keep the whole family entertained longer.

Store and stream your HD** content across multiple mobile devices
Up to 8 hours of wireless streaming per charge**
Includes SDHC/SDXC memory card slot for storage expansion** and instant viewing of your photos from your camera.
Durable aluminum housing
Stream five different HD movies simultaneously
Works with iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Kindle Fire, and Android? devices
Wi-Fi Password Protection**
Download the SanDisk Wireless Media app for quick access

sure, if you call carrying your home theatre everywhere a "solution", lol. Its not.

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
If having more than 32GB of space mean that much to you then a simple solution is never consider a Nexus phone until a 64GB or more storage is offered. By the time they do offer that kind of capacity I'm guessing that wouldn't be enough for people like you so you're better off buying a phone with expandable storage. I'm never outside and bored long enough to consume that much media/games so 32GB is more than enough for me.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
sure, if you call carrying your home theatre everywhere a "solution", lol. Its not.

Who says you have to carry the SanDisk Connect Wireless Media Drive with you everywhere? It is a wireless file server that you can copy movies to your phone and tablet and leave the SanDisk Connect at home. It gives you a easy way to manage your data on your phone's limited storage and still have a copy of the original file at home. The idea is one device that moves content from a iOS to a Android device or iOS/iOS or Android/Android device to PC or any combination of any to any.

Tell me a better solution to expand your phone or tablets storage since Apple and Google isn't going to ever add a SD card?

Tell me a better solution if you have data on a SD Card from a real camera you want to put on you phone or tablet that doesn't have a SD Card?

They don't put floppy drives on PC anymore and CD/DVD players days on laptops are also going away and already have on most Ultra and Air-book style laptops. This SanDisk Connect is the future since it is nothing more than a personal Cloud based storage server. Only it doesn't cost you a monthly or yearly fee to host your data and keeps your content secure & private that a Public Cloud doesn't provide.

Why pressing ‘upload’ means losing your rights. "With the cloud, you don’t own anything. You already signed it away..." - Steve Wozniak

Last edited:

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I have the 16GB model and that is plenty of space for me but everyone is different. If I listen to music I usually stream through Google Play, though I have a few playlists saved. Similarly if I want to watch a movie or TV show I use Netflix or another app and stream it. I have 2 games on my phone that both clock in at over 1GB of downloaded data and have no worries about space. I could see why it would bother those who like to store lots of high quality media on there devices though.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
I miss having the extra space but I knew this would be the case going in. It's actually why I didn't get the 2nd and 3rd Nexus devices - no 32gb option to make it easier to let go of using a card.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MOSHE TVITO