USB OTG Works! My sloppy Meenova SD reader review

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, So I bought one of these things. Ordering was easy, and it was $15 including shipping. Shipping was quick.
Buy here: http://www.meenova.com/st/sp_m3r.html

Not much to it...you plug it in and it works. No special drivers to install. Just installed Total Commander and the USB Stick plug-in. The phone recognizes it without reboot. Insert the SD card into the reader, plug the reader into the phone, and you're done.

Total Commander is just a file manager like Astro. It is nothing special at all, but is the only one I know of that will read external SD like this. It's free.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ghisler.android.TotalCommander&token=iTFsKd8v

You will need to install this app as well (also free):
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=de.hechler.tcplugins.usbstick&token=oQozd1Sh

Nothing else special needed. Once these are installed, just open total commander and click on the USB Stick icon. You can copy/paste files to and from the reader at will.

USB1.jpg

USB2.jpg

USB3.jpg

SD Card slides in horizontally on the top.

USB4.jpg

USB5.jpg

USB6.jpg

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
So I have not done any tests or anything, except to copy a file to make sure it works. But some things I like about it already:

- Has blue lights that illuminate when connected, to show it is getting power.
- It is tiny
- Has a keychain
- It's Cheeeeep
- Comes with a module that lets you plug it directly into a PC for easy transfers. Or to use as a stand-alone USB drive.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the review. Would you consider getting SD Tools from the PlayStore and benching the sd card from w/in the reader?

OptimuS G Pro

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the review. Would you consider getting SD Tools from the PlayStore and benching the sd card from w/in the reader?

Yeah when I get some time I can do that. My anecdotal evidence so far is that it is pretty fast. No time at all to move a 3MB picture file. Honestly, I am thrilled just to be able to do this finally, nevermind the speed.

This is not a perfect solution, but this is about as good as it can get without an embedded SD reader. I am really happy with it so far.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I am also using my original SD card from my Droid 1 to test it. So to all the people who hate SD because it get corrupted easily all I can say is LOL.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Oh, I think it IS a near perfect solution. A very unobtrusive mSD card reader for the times when you DO want it. ...and you can't beat the price. What I'd really like to know, for those that have Samsung devices, is if those Samsung devices are less skilled at killing mSD cards when the cards are in one of these Meenova readers.

OptimuS G Pro

jayhawkfan18

A Dude
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Ok, So I bought one of these things. Ordering was easy, and it was $15 including shipping. Shipping was quick.
Buy here: http://www.meenova.com/st/sp_m3r.html

Not much to it...you plug it in and it works. No special drivers to install. Just installed Total Commander and the USB Stick plug-in. The phone recognizes it without reboot. Insert the SD card into the reader, plug the reader into the phone, and you're done.

Total Commander is just a file manager like Astro. It is nothing special at all, but is the only one I know of that will read external SD like this. It's free.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ghisler.android.TotalCommander&token=pn2Hov-P

You will need to install this app as well (also free):
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=de.hechler.tcplugins.usbstick&token=qkld6H5F

Nothing else special needed. Once these are installed, just open total commander and click on the USB Stick icon. You can copy/paste files to and from the reader at will.

View attachment 93240

View attachment 93241

View attachment 93242

SD Card slides in horizontally on the top.

View attachment 93243

View attachment 93244

View attachment 93245

Can I ask what phone case that is that you are using?

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jeff, this thing is 3 times as expensive as Ebay alternative. Why would I buy this? I find it expensive compared to the competition.
Micro USB OTG TF Micro SD Card Reader for S4 I9500 NOTE2 N7100 i9300 N5100 I9100 | eBay
The answer is this: Because it is still cheap, because I have already confirmed it works well and shipping is fast and the vendor was reliable for me.

If you can find a better solution for less money, you should definitely use it. Had I seen a review for that with photos and links to apps or whatever, I'd probably have bought it myself. I don't have a particular loyalty to this product...it was just the first one I found that did what I needed done. I only posted this to help out people who were asking for a quick and easy USB OTG solution for the nexus 5. This post is an all-in-one package to get a nexus 5 user using USB OTG quickly and reliably.

EDIT: As a case in point, I'm not seeing a full size USB adapter for that thing in your link...how do I plug it into a PC after moving stuff onto it from my phone? The one I reviewed has that. The eBay listing also doesn't say if it works with the Nexus 5...even if it does, I'd have no way of knowing that before the fact. Thats why forum reviews like this are useful to me.

cartman#AC

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the excellent review.
Any free app alternatives for opening large video files stored on the microsd card for non rooted users?
Just want to be able to watch movies and series stored on the microsd card while on planes and long bus trips.
OTG disk explorer lite works but has a 30MB file size cap.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the excellent review.
Any free app alternatives for opening large video files stored on the microsd card for non rooted users?
Just want to be able to watch movies and series stored on the microsd card while on planes and long bus trips.
OTG disk explorer lite works but has a 30MB file size cap.

I downloaded TotalCommander and Nexus Media Explorer. I think one or both were free...

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

cartman#AC

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply.
Total Commander is free but needs the usb stick plugin which isn't.
Nexus Media Importer is also a paid app.
I may just end up rooting the phone or buying the otg disk explorer paid version.
I'm just somewhat uncomfortable buying apps that may break on the next Android update.

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply.
Total Commander is free but needs the usb stick plugin which isn't.
Nexus Media Importer is also a paid app.
I may just end up rooting the phone or buying the otg disk explorer paid version.
I'm just somewhat uncomfortable buying apps that may break on the next Android update.

I doubt they would. If they do the devs will fix them.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Perfect For Pictures

I have the Meenova and it seems to be OK. Does any app allow you to see the contents of the micro sd card in the standard music or picture apps on the phone? The "stick mount" program (paid only) has a tick box that says "media scan." Does that do the trick? Neither total commander/USB Stick Plugin combo or OTG Disk Explorer Lite let you see thumbnails of pictures or open more than one at a time. I am looking for the best app or apps to work with this device. The developer references Nexus Media Importer (a paid app). Has anyone tried this with the Meenova?

Edit: Partially answered my question: "Nexus Photo Viewer", free at the Play Store, is exactly what I wanted for photos. It has a list of pictures with thumbnails on the left, with the last open picture on the right. You can expand to full screen and back with a double tap.

Edit #2: With the success using Nexus Photo Viewer, I purchased and installed the same author's full featured app: Nexus Media Importer. It is THE APP for the Meenova.

Last edited:

Jay Sacks

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jeff, this thing is 3 times as expensive as Ebay alternative. Why would I buy this? I find it expensive compared to the competition.
Micro USB OTG TF Micro SD Card Reader for S4 I9500 NOTE2 N7100 i9300 N5100 I9100 | eBay

Okay just ordered one of these. I have the Meenova and love it at twice the price. Just paid $5.88 for this and $12 for the Meenova.The MEENOVA comes with a micro usb to usb adapter for your computer. That is worth the extra 6 dollars. Will let you know.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Nexus Media Importer

Nexus Media Importer from the Play Store:

This is the absolute perfect app for those that have a Meenova or other external device hooked up your Nexus 5 or 7. Cost is $3.99 but well worth it. The app lets you see and play any media file on the Meenova. With pictures, you can see thumbnails, and scroll pictures with a swipe. Music is displayed by album, artist, and "all music", with album art and song title. The built in player works great. It also works for video. You can upload and download to and from the Nexus 5 and the Meenova. Wow!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc