Spooky! Google knows what I watch on TV!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Has this happened to anyone else? Google Now just gave me a list of TV & movies I watch or have watched and asked if I wanna watch now!

How do they know... :eek::confused::eek:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Has this happened to anyone else? Google Now just gave me a list of TV & movies I watch or have watched and asked if I wanna watch now!

How do they know... :eek::confused::eek:

If you're using chromecast, have or a smart TV that is somehow linked into or overlaps with Google services, or have purchased any movies via Google, then the answer to that is easy. If not, well.....*rubs chin thoughtfully*...

You may want to check out an east facing window. Do you see a tower with a great eye wreathed in flame atop it in the distance.....?

:)

Posted from my N5 via the Android Central App

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
If you're using chromecast, have or a smart TV that is somehow linked into or overlaps with Google services, or have then the answer to that is easy. If not, well.....*rubs chin thoughtfully*...

You may want to check out an east facing window. Do you see a tower with a great eye wreathed in flame atop it in the distance.....?

:)

Posted from my N5 via the Android Central App

No... I don't use Chromecast and I have an old and very dumb tube TV...

I also have an east facing window... my view is blocked... :p Did you know Ed Snowden had his windows all boarded up when he lived in the US? I wonder what else he knows... :D:p::D

It IS weird though. Verrrrrry weird.

MLdroidN4

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Google Now gave me "news" related to the TV show I had searched about on Google a few months ago. So I'm thinking it's related to your searches on Google.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah it's most likely related to any google search you have done, whether through a computer or a phone that was linked to your google account. I say this because Google Now has given me information about recent video game titles I have searched about, such as it being reviewed, or a new blog post by some random person about it, etc. Then, if you click the top right overflow menu button on that specific card, it asks me if I want to continue being notified about that particular game.

Knowing this, I then searched for some of my favorite artists and actors/actresses. When the card popped up, it asked me if I'd like to be notified before the artists' new album comes out, or the actor's/actress's next movie comes out. I LOVE this! :) It even works on obscure people (I say obscure to mean non-U.S related; I have Google Now notifying me of my favorite Japanese artists and actors).

Google Now may be somewhat creepy sometimes, but damn I am loving it. Creep on, Google, creep on.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Google Now gave me "news" related to the TV show I had searched about on Google a few months ago. So I'm thinking it's related to your searches on Google.

Yes it must be. Even if I don't remember the searches I must have done it. :rolleyes:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah it's most likely related to any google search you have done, whether through a computer or a phone that was linked to your google account. I say this because Google Now has given me information about recent video game titles I have searched about, such as it being reviewed, or a new blog post by some random person about it, etc. Then, if you click the top right overflow menu button on that specific card, it asks me if I want to continue being notified about that particular game.

Knowing this, I then searched for some of my favorite artists and actors/actresses. When the card popped up, it asked me if I'd like to be notified before the artists' new album comes out, or the actor's/actress's next movie comes out. I LOVE this! :) It even works on obscure people (I say obscure to mean non-U.S related; I have Google Now notifying me of my favorite Japanese artists and actors).

Google Now may be somewhat creepy sometimes, but damn I am loving it. Creep on, Google, creep on.

Hahaha I know what you mean! The other weird thing though is there's other stuff I search way more and Google hasn't made a peep about any of that! Artists, a particular show, etc.

It is really cool though. I have to admit. :D

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I hate it, one time I searched a flight on desktop, not even using Google Chrome, Google displayed my flight information, which was obviously taken from my ticket confirmation email from Gmail.

First, the info was unhelpful, I already know what boarding pass told me, I was looking for flight on time history, which was why I'm searching. Google flight info occupied more than half of the vertical space, and abused my email content.

I don't need one stop service from Google, I don't need Google to know everything about me. I like diversity, I switched to Bing search onmy desktop that day.

@T-Mobile GN3

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I think it's hilarious that there are so many people saying they think 1.99 is ridiculous for an app. Hell, it comes with a great calendar widget, scrollable, that is as good if not better then Pure Calendar widget... which costs 1.99.

Soon will be messaging widgets, also scrollable. That costs 2 bucks.

There are more widgets, that I would never use, but they are there and included, which you would otherwise have to pay for.

On top of ALL of that, there is FREE version that is also terrific. I just upgraded today, not for any other reason other then the fact that I wanted a good calendar widget. I was about to buy Pure Calendar Widget, then I saw that this had the same thing for the same money. Made sense.

I've been using LP for a while now, and I've never had a single issue. It's really, really great, and my dock is BAD ***.

Oops, Tapatalk malfunction. Put my reply in totally different thread!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Try telling Google to "listen to TV." It will listen and tell you what program you're watching, even if you are on commercial.

I will try it! As soon as the n5 is done charging (@15 hours with @5 hours screentime and battery @15% !) :thumbup::beer::D

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Is your TV on your home network? If I open Google now while I am watching it sees my Sony on the network and "listens".....

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Rule of thumb, in my opinion, is that anything & everything you enter through Google can at some point be used to further personalize your experience with their services.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I hate it, one time I searched a flight on desktop, not even using Google Chrome, Google displayed my flight information, which was obviously taken from my ticket confirmation email from Gmail.

First, the info was unhelpful, I already know what boarding pass told me, I was looking for flight on time history, which was why I'm searching. Google flight info occupied more than half of the vertical space, and abused my email content.

I don't need one stop service from Google, I don't need Google to know everything about me. I like diversity, I switched to Bing search onmy desktop that day.

@T-Mobile GN3

lol.... I actually like it... There is nothing they can do with my information... The NSA/CIA/FBI can listen in on all my phone calls and read all my text messages and emails as well... I specifically use Chrome and Google search for everything because I think it's great when I search for something online and then pull up Google now I can continue where I left off or the address is already a card and I can just click "Get directions" and keep going...

I think it's neat that if I go have lunch at the same place a couple of times every week it will show up in my cards saying "Should I remember this place?" I didn't search that place or the gym I go to... but every morning the only "Card" in my phone is "Light traffic to work." with an estimate on how long it takes to get there... when I leave work at the end of the day it tells me the traffic and estimated time to the gym because that is where I go after work and then when I leave the gym it now has a card showing me the traffic and time to home....

That is all just location based information form carrying the phone in my pocket with me.... Yes you can turn off location services... but even though I don't NEED to know how long it takes me to get to work, the gym or home because I do it every day all day.. It's really neat stuff....

I like how tracking information shows up in my cards when I order something online and get the confirmation emails or reminders of flights from the same confirmation emails.......

Kind of defeats the purpose of a smart phone and Google integration if your going to use Bing just so your phone doesn't know what your doing.... Google does use your information to sell products and ads... I use Google everything just because I love the integration and having everything in one place....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007