Is there a way to attach videos in hangouts?

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: attaching videos in hangouts

A video is too large. If you go into your gallery and locate the video you will see Hangouts is not a sharing option.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Where do you see that? The video camera icon you see when you enter someone's name or number is for video chat/call.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

A video is too large. If you go into your gallery and locate the video you will see Hangouts is not a sharing option.

And this is another way in which iOS's Messages is better than Android's Hangouts.

In Messages I can select a short video I've previously taken and send it directly to another Messages user (via data not mms). If the video size is too large to send the app lets me trim it to a sendable length. But I can send/receive a 90 second decent quality video this way (again, I realize it's not via mms).

Even if I have just a 5 second 480p video (~3.75MB) I maddeningly can't send that via Hangouts (to, say, another android/hangouts user). I can only create a fresh mms-capable video, a video that will be of crappy quality, a video that will be Auto Uploaded but which won't be viewable in the phone's Gallery.

Nuttz565

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

I agree, iMessage works MUCH better when it comes to sending videos. Here is my thoughts on Hangouts and MMS/SMS
Couple things I have noticed with Hangouts and MMS issues
1.I noticed on my PC I can add a video of any length to a hangout and it will upload it. It downgrades the quality a bit depending on the size of the video but it works. Now on my Nexus 5 you don't have this option, you can record a 20 second video before hand and then upload it but thats lame. I hope they do the same on the phone version like they do on the desktop in a future update.
2. If all else fails and you simply don't like Hangouts for your sms/mms I will suggest you try Textra. This sms/mms replacement app is the best I have seen on Android(and I have tried all of them). It has a very simplistic interface without all the extra bloat of others (Im talking to you GOsms!)with emoji/group messaging and even a fantastic gif upload feature that has 1000's of gif's to choose from.
Im really wanting to just use Hangouts as my all in one messaging/sms app and its almost there, almost.

chadbordes

May 11, 2013
Visit site

I sometimes don't get why android is the last to get stuff created for android. We cant send video messages, iphone can. We cant use data to send text, iphone can. Im all for android and Im not switching to iphone for a number of reasons, but why is it so hard? Oh well, maybe soon enough.
:'(

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site

The inability to send videos through text is the ONLY thing I miss from my iPhone. If android got this right I would never give apple another look.

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

MMS can handle tiny Videos...

Google does not allow Hangouts to send video files at the moment.. Only pictures / location. Maybe they will update it later in the future? Who knows? :).

shaggydog

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

The inability to send videos through text is the ONLY thing I miss from my iPhone. If android got this right I would never give apple another look.

Posted via Android Central App

I rarely want to send video. I often want to send audio clips - as in push to talk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc