How much access does Google have to your N5?

business9

Banned
Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Am I right that google basically has unlimited access to every N5, and that theoretically they could lock one, take control of one, download all its contents, basically access all areas? And what can/do they do practically, for example pull all your emails/contact info/ad information etc?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: How much access does google have to your N5?

I am wondering if it phones anywhere when data is disabled.....? Arstechnica asked this question to many phone makers, not sure if they asked google or not.

When the data is on, users are actively using all these "convenient" services, I find it hard to believe google is not using them. Obviously, some may call this a price to pay for convenience, a price they are happily paying.

business9

Banned
Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Well say there's someone who really doesn't like you high up in google and he had the authority to access this sort of stuff. Would he literally be able to just log into your phone like an email and browse around it. Read all your texts, send out fake ones, steal stuff off your phone, generally screw around with it.

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

This thread will self-destruct in 5...4...3...2...1...

Sent from xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

The amount of stupid is too damn high

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4

Attachments

• 1385352855375.jpg
    1385352855375.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 186

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Well say there's someone who really doesn't like you high up in google and he had the authority to access this sort of stuff. Would he literally be able to just log into your phone like an email and browse around it. Read all your texts, send out fake ones, steal stuff off your phone, generally screw around with it.
Google have to follow the law so that means complying with the NSA and other federal agencies, so all bets are off, doesn't matter if it's your N5 or what you typed in Google search.

Now with that aside, just check what Google services are capable of doing to your device and make the deduction yourself. You can go into Settings -> Apps and see the permissions allowed for each Google apps and services. You can remotely track and wipe your data with Android Device Manager, remotely wipe Wallet, sync files. Google lets you know when your phone is syncing or connected with Google server, 4.3 and before, if the Data or WiFi bars turns to blue, its on. For KitKat, its in the QuickToggles menu, with the bars turning from orange to white. It's up to you to make a conclusion.

If you are that concerned about using Google, unlock the bootloader, wipe the phone and install another operating system on it. Or use an AOSP rom with no Google apps installed.

Before being so concerned about Google, look up Microsoft and Apple, they have their fair share of abuses and concerns for as well.

One of the most hilarious thing I've ever seen was some years back when tech news sites started reporting of Google saving search resutls for a long time, and there was a mass outcry for the internet masses. So the same tech sites started creating articles recommending how to protect privacies and giving alternatives to Google search, and one of the recommendation was to use Bing search instead since it only save search data for half a year, so droves of people switched to Bing feeling more secured and went on their merry way.

Last edited:

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Google's business model is to collect and aggregate as much of your personal data and activities as possible and sell it to advertisers. They do this by pricing free services of various quality levels
Apples bunnies model is selling you hardware. They collect a tiny fraction of the amount of data Google collects and they don't sell it.
Acting as if Apple and Google are equal in this makes no sense at all.
As to the op..assume anything on your android phone or in any google services you use is accessible to Google because it is. They why they exist.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

After some reading, I realize OP was asking two different questions.

One is about if google can remotely access your device.

Answer to that should be a yes, right now android has the remote wipe you can setup, which go through google service. So it is possible.
Would google do it without user initiate it? I don't see that happening legally, unless google is somehow hacked.

Second is about if google collect personal information and share it.

Answer is obviously a yes. Google does offer a lot of account settings in which you can choose what to share, and what not to. But those settings are sometimes complex for normal users, and its almost impossible to fully use an android phone without giving permission for whatever the app and google are asking.

Can google make the play store and functions of android more independent of google inc.? It probably can, but it has no reason to. It makes money every minute users are online, it collects many information every minutes users are online, and the information are $$$. If nobody complains, why would google do anything to earn less money.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site

Suffice it to say that if you can access them...they can access you. It doesn't matter what the law allows or doesn't allow them to do with that data....the technology is there where they can collect it and they can keep it. Whether it's Google or Bing or your internet provider....Big Brother is watching you. It's amazing how prophetic Orwell's book was. Don't be so naive to think that they can't or that they won't or that they aren't. Today it's for advertising purposes... tomorrow? They don't call it spyware for nothing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Am I right that google basically has unlimited access to every N5, and that theoretically they could lock one, take control of one, download all its contents, basically access all areas? And what can/do they do practically, for example pull all your emails/contact info/ad information etc?

Legally they probably aren't supposed to but yes, they can more than likely access anything on your device. I don't worry about it since I have nothing to hide. Smartphones are not a necessity so anyone that is worried about their data being seen can get rid of their smartphone/tablet/computer or anything else that they are worried could be compromised. It it the price we pay for convenience and we are naive to think otherwise.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

Google doesn't have the right to lock your device unless you tell them to. The NSA also has to request a warrant from google if they want to spy on you, but if there's reasonable suspicion (Like you search up, guns, bomb making materials and murder) they have the right to look at you without a warrant.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

2 things to consider. Google can't do half of what the Federal Government could do with your information. You should be more worried about the government. Also, if the government does spy on you like you're fearing Google could do, there's nothing you can do. They're already in office and they know you can't stop them. Google on the other hand, would have to tread pretty lightly because if they blew the trust of their consumers, they'd be out of business in no time. They have a higher risk involved than what the reward would be.

I'm sure they know a LOT about us, but I doubt they'd ever try to use it maliciously or be secretive about it. And i'm sure someone will post a link to some conspiracy theory or whatever that "disproves" what I just said, but I don't believe they would. They may not jump at the opportunity to tell us what they use our info for, but we make that choice when we purchase and use their services. Unfortunately the same happens when uneducated Americans go place their votes based on feelings and handouts instead of actual research and knowledge, and then they ruin it for the rest of us.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

2 things to consider. Google can't do half of what the Federal Government could do with your information. You should be more worried about the government. Also, if the government does spy on you like you're fearing Google could do, there's nothing you can do. They're already in office and they know you can't stop them. Google on the other hand, would have to tread pretty lightly because if they blew the trust of their consumers, they'd be out of business in no time. They have a higher risk involved than what the reward would be.

I'm sure they know a LOT about us, but I doubt they'd ever try to use it maliciously or be secretive about it. And i'm sure someone will post a link to some conspiracy theory or whatever that "disproves" what I just said, but I don't believe they would. They may not jump at the opportunity to tell us what they use our info for, but we make that choice when we purchase and use their services. Unfortunately the same happens when uneducated Americans go place their votes based on feelings and handouts instead of actual research and knowledge, and then they ruin it for the rest of us.
Its sad you use this discussion to further your politic agenda.

I suggest we all leave it there and find another place to argue the role of government in our lives.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Its sad you use this discussion to further your politic agenda.

I suggest we all leave it there and find another place to argue the role of government in our lives.

It's sad that you make assumptions that are unfounded. My point is, one aspect we have control over, and one we do not. Therefore, I would be more worried about the one I have less control over. We might disagree on some of the behind the scenes aspects of the situation as a whole, but you're digging deep and by so doing, ignoring the point I was making. The only reason I mentioned government at all was because many of the previous posts discussed the NSA.
I'm not overly concerned about Google. In fact, I did some serious research a year ago for a college course that was focused on the role of technology in our lives. As I did my research, I found that I was increasingly comfortable with how Google has their business model set up. We basically can give them as much info as WE want (for the most part) and in turn they can try to make aspects of our lives easier. If we aren't interested in that, that's no problem. We can disable Google Now, log out of our Google accounts when we use their search feature, etc.. They'll still obviously be able to gather some things, but that's because of the increasing connectivity we enjoy. I'm sure they could do what OP was wondering, but my point is that I highly doubt they would.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I'm sure they could do what OP was wondering, but my point is that I highly doubt they would.

Thats a very concise statement to answer OP's question.

I would not trust a company's so called "model", whatever that is. A company is in it to make money, there is no "moral boundary" for them, they can claim anything, many people will trust them. I will not.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site

A phone isn't a natural right that the government has to protect, nor is it mentioned in the United States Constitution. So stop complaining

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

A phone isn't a natural right that the government has to protect, nor is it mentioned in the United States Constitution. So stop complaining

Yeah but if it weren't for the patriot act it would be protected under the 4th Amendment.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2