I'm considering getting either a Nexus 5 or possible the HTC One Google Edition (or maybe a Galaxy S4 Google Edition) as a second phone. I largely understand all of the pros and cons of each but still have a few questions.

First - I'm confused on the camera apps and the issues with Nexus 5. I read a thread about alternative camera apps including Camera Zoom FX (which was just updated) as a possible recommendation for the slow Nexus 5. That app advertises "burst" mode. But, I also read this week about an update coming from Google soon with new API's to allow access to "burst mode". So does an app like Camera Zoom FX really offer 'burst mode" with the Nexus 5 if the APIs haven't been released?

Second - I've read about the Google Experience Launcher and that it is a Nexus 5 exclusive. I also read that it can be side loaded to other phones. Once it is side loaded, does it work on other phones just like it does on the Nexus 5 including the "OK Google" or would I need to stick with the Nexus 5 for this feature?

Third - Does the Nexus 5 have features such as slo mo.

Fourth - One thing that troubles me about the GS4 GE vs the Nexus 5 is the memory size. Nexus 5 has up to 32. Does the GS4 GE SD Card actually work (ie can the phone write to it) or is that still gone. If I can't save photos to the SD card, I'm not going to consider the GS4 GE.

Thanks for any help.
    11-27-2013 07:59 AM
    Just out of curiosity, why would you consider a Google edition phone instead of the N5? It would be more expensive, with relatively slower updates, and no extra features (Sense/TW).

First - I'm confused on the camera apps and the issues with Nexus 5. I read a thread about alternative camera apps including Camera Zoom FX (which was just updated) as a possible recommendation for the slow Nexus 5. That app advertises "burst" mode. But, I also read this week about an update coming from Google soon with new API's to allow access to "burst mode". So does an app like Camera Zoom FX really offer 'burst mode" with the Nexus 5 if the APIs haven't been released?
    Camera zoom FX does offer burst mode. (Side note: in dark surroundings, the camera zoom FX burst mode yields very very dark pictures on my N5 - I suspect that is a Camera Zoom FX issue)

Second - I've read about the Google Experience Launcher and that it is a Nexus 5 exclusive. I also read that it can be side loaded to other phones. Once it is side loaded, does it work on other phones just like it does on the Nexus 5 including the "OK Google" or would I need to stick with the Nexus 5 for this feature?
    OK Google works on other phones too - you need GEL and the updated search app - see link

Not in the stock camera app - but third party apps may have that feature (I haven't looked)

Fourth - One thing that troubles me about the GS4 GE vs the Nexus 5 is the memory size. Nexus 5 has up to 32. Does the GS4 GE SD Card actually work (ie can the phone write to it) or is that still gone. If I can't save photos to the SD card, I'm not going to consider the GS4 GE.
    The regular S4 can certainly write to the SD card, and you can even push most apps to the SD card. From what I read, the 4.3 update on GE S4 broke the ability for apps to write to SD. But it looks like there is a relatively easy fix for it (if you are rooted) - see. I don't have the GE S4, so can't say for sure whether this works or not.
    11-27-2013 08:22 AM
    Thanks for the input. I didn't want to completely eliminate the Google Edition phones because of the Nexus camera issues and sound/speaker issues I've read about.
    11-27-2013 09:01 AM
    The camera software is the same, since it is baked into the 4.4 OS. The sensor on the N5 is pretty good. It is just slow to focus (which "should" be a software fix)

The sound/speaker issue - well, we don't know yet if it is hardware of software related. I moved from the regular S4 to N5. The volume on the N5 *is* lower, but is it $300 worth lower? (IMO) No
    (but the S4 had Android 4.2, while N5 has 4.4 - so back to "is it a software issue or not?)
    11-27-2013 09:44 AM
    I'm considering getting either a Nexus 5 or possible the HTC One Google Edition (or maybe a Galaxy S4 Google Edition) as a second phone. I largely understand all of the pros and cons of each but still have a few questions.

First - I'm confused on the camera apps and the issues with Nexus 5. I read a thread about alternative camera apps including Camera Zoom FX (which was just updated) as a possible recommendation for the slow Nexus 5.
    Those apps will not be able to do anything the native app cannot also do, in general. They are like a launcher for your camera. They might be able to do better post processing or whatever, but thats it. It might also allow you to do things the native app doesn't, like separate focus and exposure areas, or turn off that annoying always-on autofocus.

This will change once Google completes the new camera API. But right now, the best you can hope for (IMO) with a 3rd party app is a better UI and the ability to add effects. I have tried 3rd party apps myself and have not found them to be any faster. But by the time the new API is released, we will probably have a new camera app as well that corrects all these issues anyway.

It should work on any phone with Kitkat.

Not yet. This is something that could easily be added in software.
    11-27-2013 09:49 AM