A little battery management and my Nexus 5 lasts a full day

drewC

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure there are already plenty of discussions on this topic, but I thought I'd share my experience with everyone. It is now 10:05pm and I have 36% left. My day started at 8am. Screen on time was 3 hours even.

First, here are some screen shots of my battery usage.
1385608053207.jpg
1385608083315.jpg
1385608106905.jpg
1385608126955.jpg

I am on Wi-Fi the entire time I'm at work. During work hours, I use my phone to check personal emails, work and personal text messages, a few MMS a day, a push-to-talk app, and check posts and messages on a social app.

I have only one Google account, and I sync almost everything on that account. I use Google Now. I also sync Facebook, Haxsync for Facebook, Dropbox and Box.com.

As far as settings, I have Wi-Fi optimized, avoid poor connections, disabled scanning always available, and location setting is set to battery saving. I use Juice Defender Plus to help prolong battery life.

An average like today, the battery lasts for about 16-18 hours. That's good from before I leave for work at 8am til around midnight. The battery drain is significantly faster at night because I am constantly on my phone after work. I can still squeeze out about 5 hours of screen time.

Objective of this post. If battery life is the only thing holding you back from buying the Nexus 5, I say go ahead. It is not great for sure, certainly not great like my other phone the LG G2 or the Note 3. But it can be done, all you need is a little battery management and a good third party battery saving app. Also, bear in mind that the Nexus has a much smaller battery compared to the two aforementioned phones. Speaking of small battery and perhaps more importantly a smaller footprint, the Moto X performs hands down better in this department compared to Nexus 5.

This is not a discussion of whether the Nexus 5 is the best Android phone money can buy. It isn't, plain and simple. At $400 for a 32GB version, it is the best Android phone in its class. However if Motorola continues to sell the Moto X at the discounted price (see story posted today by AC), then it becomes a two horse race. There are always pros and cons. The only advise is: know your priorities and pick the one you like the best.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
The battery suits my needs just fine too. I also manage the power consumption of my phones.

I use widgets to quickly turn off and on different settings.

I have a switch for nfc, blue tooth, gps, and 4/3/2G.

I keep it on 2g and wifi at work and home. If I'm out and need to use the Web, I turn on the LTE.

I don't like the Facebook app, so I use the mobile website, same for other apps that seem to drain my battery more than I care for.

I also toggle the brightness. Inside now since it's cold I keep at 10-20%. I need to see better outside, then I toggle it to 80%. Even at 20%, the outside viewing is way better than my old s3.

Also, if I know I have a long day away from a power source or will use my phone a lot, I bring one of those anker external batteries to hold me over. Their great and small enough to fit in your pocket no problem...

Anyway, I don't mind the battery either.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
e9usyber.jpg

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the OP. There's other devices on the market with better battery life. For what this device does for me, I'm happy with it. Thanks for sharing your stats.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007