Nexus 5 best buy compatibility

Sam Keyte

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If my dad buy a nexus 5 sprint replacement device from best buy while he is in New York, will it work on the New Zealand telecom network, 3G and 4g in auckland? Is it carrier locked and what frequencies will it support?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is not carrier locked.

The US variant supports the following frequencies
2G/3G/4G LTE
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

You can read more at the technical specifications at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...us/?playredirect=true&hl=en-US&token=XPh2DgtY

You'd need to see if the New Zealand telecom network uses these frequencies.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what bands it supports only that it uses 850 MHz 3G and also 2100 MHz and 4g lte 1800mhz
Check the specifications for your carrier and see what bands are used for LTE and/or the other data services. Technically it would work. Though, it may not be able to be used at its fullest potential. For example, you might not get LTE coverage and/or be kept to 2g coverage.

The Play Store offers a world version that is compatible with networks outside North America. I'd suggest going with that model to be safe if it's offered in your region.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
One thing I know for sure is the US variant will not work on any 4G networks outside if north America. As far as 3g I believe it should because it have both T-Mobile and att bands in which most international networks are either or.

Posted via Android Central App

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If my dad buy a nexus 5 sprint replacement device from best buy while he is in New York, will it work on the New Zealand telecom network, 3G and 4g in auckland? Is it carrier locked and what frequencies will it support?

You don't get LTE but it should work on 3g.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
One thing I know for sure is the US variant will not work on any 4G networks outside if north America.
This isn't entirely true. The 820 variant (i.e. the US variant) supports LTE bands 1, 2, 4, 5, 17, 19, 25, 26 and 41. There are several carriers outside of north America that support these bands, though no European or Australian carrier does. Lots of carriers in South America (Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela), Asia (Japan, to name a big example, and China Mobile, the largest Asian mobile operator, supports band 41 as well, and there are also carriers in the Philippines and South Korea with support for one or more of those bands).

A fuller list of which global carrier supports which LTE bands is available here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
This isn't entirely true. The 820 variant (i.e. the US variant) supports LTE bands 1, 2, 4, 5, 17, 19, 25, 26 and 41. There are several carriers outside of north America that support these bands, though no European or Australian carrier does. Lots of carriers in South America (Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Uruguay, Venezuela), Asia (Japan, to name a big example, and China Mobile, the largest Asian mobile operator, supports band 41 as well, and there are also carriers in the Philippines and South Korea with support for one or more of those bands).

A fuller list of which global carrier supports which LTE bands is available here:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

You're right but to many network bands which is why they made an international variant. We still have a ways to go to have 1 model that will work on most networks around the world. Just too much of a gamble. Just get the international variant and be done with it.

A good article that shows how complicated figuring out compatible networks could be.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/170166-nexus-5-excellent-global-coverage-perplexing-lte-support

Posted via Android Central App