If price was the same, would you still get the Nexus 5 over the Moto X?

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I've loaded Dynamic Notifications premium app on my N5, and it works well. However, I'm testing out how much battery it uses and want to get a sense of battery life with and without it installed. When I go to "Battery" under settings, it is listed as the highest percentage of processes. Sometimes in the range of 30-50%. I seem to get about 2-3% battery loss under idle conditions with DN installed and running. While I am not a heavy phone user and I still have enough juice to get me through the day, I've temporarily uninstalled it to see what difference it makes. I like the idea of active notifications, but for me, I don't find it too useful, as I don't mind pressing the unlock key. I don't carry the phone in my pocket. It's often on my desk or in my bag at work. Also, I like the LED notification lights, and I do use Light Flow as well. I'm on my computer a lot during the day, and Chrome browser with notifications along with various extensions alert me to new Google Voice texts/calls, Gmail messages, etc.

I agree. It's ultimately not that big of a deal.

And overall, I think the Nexus 5 experience is still better than the MX experience, so I'm happy. I love wireless charging, for example, and the larger screen.

After 4.4.2, the camera is very nice, too.

dirtyjudo

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same boat. I picked the Nexus 5 and I also use the 30 dollar T-Mobile plan. I am super happy with my decision. Nexus 5 all the way.

Posted via Android Central App

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you since people that order everything to try out for kicks to say they have tested a phone just runs up the cost of phones for the rest of us. I did my homework before I buy a phone. I wish they had ar least a $50 restocking charge to make people do their own home work before they buy a phone.

There is no substitute for personal experience. Having the phone in your hand and actually using it for an extended period of time is much better than just looking at reviews.

With respect to the return policy, Google is actually very consumer-friendly. You normally have 15 days to return your device if you are unsatisfied for any reason. During the holiday season, Google will accept a return by January 13, 2014 if you bought your device between November 26, 2013 to December 25, 2013. In theory, you could be trying out a phone for over a month before you decide to return it.

Google Play - Returns, refunds, and replacements

I haven't seen anything that mentions a restocking fee, but Google will charge you for shipping and handling.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
There is no substitute for personal experience. Having the phone in your hand and actually using it for an extended period of time is much better than just looking at reviews.

With respect to the return policy, Google is actually very consumer-friendly. You normally have 15 days to return your device if you are unsatisfied for any reason. During the holiday season, Google will accept a return by January 13, 2014 if you bought your device between November 26, 2013 to December 25, 2013. In theory, you could be trying out a phone for over a month before you decide to return it.

Google Play - Returns, refunds, and replacements

I haven't seen anything that mentions a restocking fee, but Google will charge you for shipping and handling.

It used to be that consumers had 30 days to evaluate a phone (at least with AT&T). Then, within the last year or so, AT&T changed their policy. I've been a customer of theirs for 12 years, but always kept the phone that I selected. I was using feature phones until 2010 until I finally took the plunge in smartphones.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Like the OP, I am on verizon so the Nexus 5 wasn't available to me. If it were, I would have gotten it. I got the Moto X dev ed as the next best thing to a Nexus and I really am liking it. I like how Motorola has features as apps in the playstore so that they can update without carrier interference (which is essential for us verizonites). I like the size, the snappiness, active notifications, always listening and the close to pure vanilla android experience.

But it's not a Nexus and won't ever have the level of dev support that a Nexus has.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
If price was the same, would you still get the Nexus 5 over the Moto X?
If you are on Verizon, then your decision has already been made. Moto X is your only real choice at that price.

That being said, the Nexus 5 has a faster CPU and better camera and higher res display. The Moto X is not slow, but the extra CPU power will matter as time goes on and apps get more demanding. The Nexus will also be first in line for new updates.

The only reason to get a Moto X IMO is the always-on thing (and that is cool). And it does get better battery life.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If you are on Verizon, then your decision has already been made. Moto X is your only real choice at that price.
Do you have to rub salt in our wounds?

Seriously, though as much as I would like a Nexus 5, I would never give up my truly unthrottled, unlimited 4G LTE data for one.

That being said, the Nexus 5 has a faster CPU and better camera and higher res display. The Moto X is not slow, but the extra CPU power will matter as time goes on and apps get more demanding.

I don't think that matters for the average user and by the time the apps get that much more demanding, I will have updated to the Moto X2.

The Nexus will also be first in line for new updates.
Which is the true appeal of a Nexus. However, the Moto X already has Kit Kat and that was a pretty speedy update compared to every other phone on Verizon. It's not like the GNex updates were all that speedy (due to Verizon's involvement of course).

The only reason to get a Moto X IMO is the always-on thing (and that is cool). And it does get better battery life.
And if you want a smaller phone, which believe it or not, some people do.

I would trade my Moto X for a Nexus 5 if I could, but I can't. However, my Moto X is one heck of a great consolation prize!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Do you have to rub salt in our wounds?
I am a Verizon escape myself. I was trapped with them for years. I only escaped earlier this year.

Seriously, though as much as I would like a Nexus 5, I would never give up my truly unthrottled, unlimited 4G LTE data for one.
T-Mobile is true unlimited, and without the Verizon smoke and mirrors, and having to bite your nails every time you upgrade to be able to keep it.

I had unlimited data on Verizon right up to the time I left. I can tell you, the difference is so minor I don't miss it. And you can bet your days are numbered anyway...they will be cutting that off sooner or later. The only thing I miss about verizon at all is their slightly better coverage (and it gets less slightly every year). As far as data speed/amount goes, I do not miss them at all.

Unless you are using over 4 gigs a month (and you might be...but no one I know is), you will not notice any difference. Customer service on T-Mobile has also been far better, especially their storefronts.

Which is the true appeal of a Nexus. However, the Moto X already has Kit Kat and that was a pretty speedy update compared to every other phone on Verizon.
Will that be the case in a year though? These 3'rd party vendors have a very short attention span IMO. Once the next new thing comes out Moto X might get pushed to the back burner.

It's not like the GNex updates were all that speedy (due to Verizon's involvement of course).
Exactly. But Non-Verizon Nexus phones get great support. The common denominator here is Verizon...they are simply awful.

And if you want a smaller phone, which believe it or not, some people do.
How much smaller is it? 5.43 vs 5.09...a difference of a third of an inch.

It's not like comparing it to the Droid 1 or the iPhone. The Moto X is not as small as people think it is IMO.

I would trade my Moto X for a Nexus 5 if I could, but I can't. However, my Moto X is one heck of a great consolation prize!
I agree. It is a great phone. It would be a hard choice for me between that or the G2 on Verizon. I think I would have bought the Moto X and then had buyer's remorse and traded it back for a G2. And then a year from now I'd be having buyer's remorse again when Moto X is getting updates still and LG has forgotten about the G2.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
A couple disclaimers:

I am on Verizon Wireless and have no dog in this fight...

The rumored Cyber Monday sale for the Moto X has yet to become official and quantities may be extremely limited.

With that said, if I can get a 32 GB Moto C Developer edition for $399.99 on Monday for VZW, I will probably pull the trigger, especially with 0.00% financing over 12 months.

I recommend this for a read:

The Nexus 5 vs. the Moto X | Android Central

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
This is a crop from the actual images used in the article above.

92794d1384654546-share-your-nexus-5-camera-photos-videos-thoughts-compare.png

The Nexus 5 vs. the Moto X | Android Central

And keep in mind, that was before the 4.4.2 update. The Nexus 5 looks even better than that now.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I would still buy the N5, but I recommend the X to friends who want to switch to Android.

I use the Snapdragon Battery Guru utility on my N5 and the battery lasts a ridiculously long time.

4.2.2 made a night and day difference with the camera. Very pleased with it now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I find many of the differences between various phones of this stature to be trivial. Most important to me was three things:

a) operable on a variety of networks, including VZW, TMo, Sprint, and ATT, and the MVNOs. GSM, CDMA, LTE, HSPA, etc..... The more the better.
b) operable on a variety of frequency bands, the more the better
c) unlocked (without rooting). No contracts! Move when I want!

All other factors were secondary, to me. Voice quality, picture quality, speed, .... all phones at this level are pretty good for my purposes (no gaming, however). I would even put the "pure android" experience as a secondary consideration.

From my perspective, it was tough to beat the Nexus 5 based on those three factors.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I would still buy the N5, but I recommend the X to friends who want to switch to Android.

I use the Snapdragon Battery Guru utility on my N5 and the battery lasts a ridiculously long time.

4.2.2 made a night and day difference with the camera. Very pleased with it now.

Thanks. I installed the Snapdragon Battery Guru app on my N5, and my phone is in its learning phase. I hope my battery life will improve.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
No Nexus 5 on verizon :(

You are, unfortunately, correct. I cannot help believe, however, that this is a result of a business decision rather than a technical limitation of the phone.

My point, however unclear, was that the nexus 5 comes closest to meeting these requirements than any other phone that I have seen. I am unaware of any phone that works (and is certified) on all four of the major US cell phone services. It seems to me that very few have even CDMA and GSM together.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
You are, unfortunately, correct. I cannot help believe, however, that this is a result of a business decision rather than a technical limitation of the phone.

My point, however unclear, was that the nexus 5 comes closest to meeting these requirements than any other phone that I have seen. I am unaware of any phone that works (and is certified) on all four of the major US cell phone services. It seems to me that very few have even CDMA and GSM together.

I have read mixed things. I have read that it does indeed technically support Verizon's network all the way up to LTE but Verizon likes more control than unlocked Nexus devices can offer so they refuse to activate them. I have also heard that it doesn't technically support the network. Somehow I doubt it because I remember reading people with the Nexus 5 on one of the smaller carriers that uses Verizon's towers. But I could be wrong, maybe someone could weigh in with experience or more knowledge?

Technically, it supports Verizon Wireless? CDMA 850/1900 network, but Verizon Wireless will not permit the device to operate on its network. And of course, it lacks support for Verizon Wireless? band 13 LTE network (though it will support Verizon Wireless? upcoming AWS LTE network).

This is from 'extremetech.com'.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I find many of the differences between various phones of this stature to be trivial. Most important to me was three things:

a) operable on a variety of networks, including VZW, TMo, Sprint, and ATT, and the MVNOs. GSM, CDMA, LTE, HSPA, etc..... The more the better.
b) operable on a variety of frequency bands, the more the better
c) unlocked (without rooting). No contracts! Move when I want!

You bring up very good reasons, and the Nexus 5 seems to meet your needs quite well. Do you have a lot of experience with switching carriers? You mentioned no contracts, so I assume you're using prepaid, right?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish