Darkened camera images in third-party apps

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've now seen comments from at least two developers in the Google Play store indicating that they have heard nothing about darkened images for those using Nexus 5. Yet on this forum I've seen a bunch of people describe the same problem: In low-light situations the N5 the camera image on third party apps is sometimes much darker than it should be (and definitely darker than on on the N4).

Are indeed just some N5 users seeing this behavior? Is it just a device problem for some people? Or is it something affecting all N5 users?

What apps are you seeing this happen with? (Myself, at least CameraZOOM and Barcode Scanner.)

snoopyandroid

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: darkened camera images in third party apps

Turned on my N5 this morning and there was a CameraZOOM update. The 5.0.1 update says: "dark photo fix Nexus 5"

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

I noticed this over the weekend and was very unhappy. However, I am happy to see that Camera Zoom Fx has a fix for it this morning. I just updated but haven't had a chance to test it. Will try tonight at home when it is darker.

y2whisper

Trusted Member
Apr 15, 2010
Visit site

Am interested to see your findings as I have been holding out on buying any camera apps until they can update.

xstinkyx

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

The updated Camera Zoom still seems to take poor photos in low-light settings. Maybe I just need to fiddle with the settings. But the stock camera app takes way better photos in low-light scenes.

At least the image displayed in the viewfinder in Camera Zoom is no longer overly dark.

Sharky19

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Am interested to see your findings as I have been holding out on buying any camera apps until they can update.

After the update, Camera Zoom FX is now performing much better. It is no longer darkening the image for me. The photo now looks similar to what I saw on the screen prior to taking the photo.

fauxreal

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Vsco Cam was recently released, ive been giving that a try. The camera isn't much of a significant difference to me, maybe others want to give it a try. Editing capabilities are awesome though. This and pixlr express is currently my fav. Stock camera is fine for me for now. Just slow shutter.

whatsitsname

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I use the Google Translate camera and the pics are so dark that it can't translate much. I use this app daily. Sad to say that I have to resort to using my old Galaxy Note 2 to translate when I need the Google Translate camera. When taking pictures using the regular camera app, the camera works just fine. It is only dark when I use it inside the Google Translate app. I have reset the phone with no effect.
I have sent Google many photos of the side by side pics taken by these two phones. Google refuses to RMA or refund me because they say they are not responsible for how an app behaves (even if it is their own app).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800