New here to Stock Android.... I would like some Tips and Tricks

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I ordered my first Nexus (nexus 5 GSM Model) device from the play store a few days ago and I can't wait to get it.

As far as Android is concerned, I either had the EVO or the galaxy line of Android phones. Before that I was strictly IOS.

From what I'm hearing I'm kind of scared that I may miss some of the touch wiz features.

My first question are as follows...

Am I stuck only using chrome and Gmail for internet and mail services?

How about Texting? Do they have something other that hangouts for texting?

Any help will be appreciated!

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Any apps that you have downloaded from the store can be re-downloaded and used on the Nexus.

For example, if you used a different text messaging app from the Store, then you can still use that as your default on the Nexus.

You do not have to use the Chrome browser, nor Gmail, but again, you will have to download alternatives from the Store.

KevLar72

May 20, 2013
Visit site
With Android you have much more flexibility and functionality than IOS.
IOS is complete garbage ! Don't believe what the media feeds you!

You have a vast variety of browsers to use Dolphin- Boat- Chrome and many other browsers

You also can use Handcent - GOSMS and many other SMS apps for texting.
With Android there is always a work around. With IOS you will not have that luxury.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
there will still be many options for browsers, obviously, only firefox has an independent rendering engine, others are all shells (with some nice functions).

so goes text app,s such as textra.

android is still a more open environment than iOS, no need to worry too much on app selections.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
With Android you have much more flexibility and functionality than IOS.
IOS is complete garbage ! Don't believe what the media feeds you!

You have a vast variety of browsers to use Dolphin- Boat- Chrome and many other browsers

You also can use Handcent - GOSMS and many other SMS apps for texting.
With Android there is always a work around. With IOS you will not have that luxury.

I have to disagree with u in regards to IOS being garbage. I actually like both operating systems and that's from first hand experience.

I'm just tired of the bloatware with other devices like the S4 and note2 and 3. I'm ditching them and Verizon for the nexus 5 and T-mobile.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
One thing that I absolutely hate about the play store is the 1 hour window to cancel a placed order. I found someone in my area selling a new nexus 5 for about the same thing as the play store and I didn't want to wait so I tried to cancel and they wound't let me. I even called and spoke with a manager and they gave me some crap about me having to refuse the delivery to be able to get my money back . Keep in mind that the phone isn't scheduled to ship until 12/11/13. I'm very disappointed in their process.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah some people seem to hit that hour limit... I was able to cancel a bit after an hour when I had placed an order.

It isn't difficult to refuse a package - just take it to UPS, or whoever, and tell them to return it to the sender - but It IS annoying because you are still charged for it and have to wait a long time to get that money back =|

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Yeah some people seem to hit that hour limit... I was able to cancel a bit after an hour when I had placed an order.

It isn't difficult to refuse a package - just take it to UPS, or whoever, and tell them to return it to the sender - but It IS annoying because you are still charged for it and have to wait a long time to get that money back =|

Yeah it sucks. But I'm going to keep this one. I'm hoping it will ship out before the 11th.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay maybe I can sway your opinion. Watch the following video and tell me what you think.
(It is dated but still has the same principle )

Android Vs iOS The Truth about Apple and Google's OS Part 1 of 5 - YouTube

Heh, there really isn't a point to try to convince someone that one operating system is better than another, particularly since he isn't firmly set in either.

Some people will take issue with certain aspects of an OS, others won't mind them. You have flaws with anything you own or use, but it depends on whether or not you are able to look past those flaws and accept that they are there. Some can do that, some can't, and that's why we have options.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Heh, there really isn't a point to try to convince someone that one operating system is better than another, particularly since he isn't firmly set in either.

Some people will take issue with certain aspects of an OS, others won't mind them. You have flaws with anything you own or use, but it depends on whether or not you are able to look past those flaws and accept that they are there. Some can do that, some can't, and that's why we have options.

I honestly like both! I love technology period! U can't sit there and tell me that IOS doesn't bring something to the table just like Android does. There's a reason why they are 1 and 2 in market share. I love them both!

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
While I don't LOVE iOS, I do like the devices, and currently carry a 5S next to my Nexus 5. No sense in carrying two Android phones, not to mention two 5" devices.

iOS makes things easier when communicating to other iOS users, such as family members and I don't feel the itch to tinker with my homescreen set up or anything like that.

Last edited:

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
"Okay maybe I can sway your opinion. Watch the following video and tell me what you think.
(It is dated but still has the same principle )"

That's too old to make a case for todays phones. The iPhone today is way better than the one in that video. And as of today my opinion stands firm!

U have to do a lot to get ur phone that way. Some people don't want to mess with their phones for hours to separate certain aspects or tweak a launcher. I honestly could care less about the customizations associated with the Android lines, I'm more into the screen size of Android. I love the quality that goes into Apple devices. I'm hoping this stock android will be something new to me because I'm tired of all the Crap (bloat ware) that I do not use on Android devices taking up crucial space.

KevLar72

May 20, 2013
Visit site
"Okay maybe I can sway your opinion. Watch the following video and tell me what you think.
(It is dated but still has the same principle )"

That's too old to make a case for todays phones. The iPhone today is way better than the one in that video. And as of today my opinion stands firm!

Not really when there are still inconsistencies and you have to make many more steps in IOS.
Build quality is the only thing that apple has going for them.
The software is just a copy of everyone else's ideas with apple's locked down spin on it.
Where iOS 7 Features Come From! - YouTube
apple never could think for themselves! They just copy and they are proud of it !
"Good artists copy great artists steal"
Steve Jobs: Good artists copy great artists steal - YouTube

This is why I don't have any kind of respect for apple whatsoever !

KevLar72

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I agree with this statement .

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
LOL! We are getting off topic here... instead of telling me how much u hate IOS why don't u show me how to do some nice things with stock android. And if the only thing u come up with is to use a custom launcher... I will be disappointed!

How about this... Since I will be switching to the T-MO 70 dollar unlimited plan, what is the best tethering apps out there? I used PDANET+ and Easy Tether Carrier addition when I had my evo on the sprint network. I'm not sure if these are still available or would work with T-MO but I want to see if I can get some good home online gaming thru an app.

KTKareen

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I like iOS but aosp takes my vote, I hate how there's no music app on my nexus 4 or GNex

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
There's nothing really special about stock Android that needs to be explained, unless you are looking for something specific. The reason there are people who prefer it is because, generally, there will be limited Carrier bloat, and the OS is more light-weight (in terms of speed and actual storage space) compared to OEM overlays.

Are you gaming on PC or console?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
LOL! We are getting off topic here... instead of telling me how much u hate IOS why don't u show me how to do some nice things with stock android. And if the only thing u come up with is to use a custom launcher... I will be disappointed!

How about this... Since I will be switching to the T-MO 70 dollar unlimited plan, what is the best tethering apps out there? I used PDANET+ and Easy Tether Carrier addition when I had my evo on the sprint network. I'm not sure if these are still available or would work with T-MO but I want to see if I can get some good home online gaming thru an app.

It is kinda hard to list out "nice things" with stock android - just because there are so many, and everybody has different likes/dislikes. Here's the thing - with Android, it is usually possible to do what most users want. (no, it will not pour you a coffee - but you know what I mean).

Let's talk about just one app (one of my favorites BTW) - Tasker. This app in itself lets you create rules/actions. Enable Wifi when I reach home, Enable bluetooth when I'm driving, disable lockscreen when I'm at home, and so on... basically, you can write your IF/THEN/ELSE rules for sensor/hardware to do what you want.
I find tasker amazing. But another user may say "Meh - I don't need that"

Same thing with Widgets, sideloading apps, ad-blocking (apps/webpages), having the ability to choose different default applications, Google Now(!!!)... etc.

CompMan2012

Banned
Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
There's nothing really special about stock Android that needs to be explained, unless you are looking for something specific. The reason there are people who prefer it is because, generally, there will be limited Carrier bloat, and the OS is more light-weight (in terms of speed and actual storage space) compared to OEM overlays.

Are you gaming on PC or console?

Console.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish