AT&T LTE Connectivity Issues?

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I felt like it's not a major issue, does it impact your usage significantly? If not, I may just try to get over it.

@T-Mobile GN3

I think I may just hold on to it for a week or so to see if I notice any real slowdowns for my usage. If not I'll live with it. I just am really OCD about my devices :'(.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My phone was mostly on HSPA+ over the Thanks Giving weekend for places where I normally get LTE. This week, it seems all go back to normal for me. So, I assume there is some AT&T network issue in play.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
May sound funny but I think since the 4.4.1 update it not only have I been getting better, stronger LTE coverage I have also not had it drop around town once. Rep at Google I talked to insisted there was no known problem but this makes me wonder...

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I felt like it's not a major issue, does it impact your usage significantly? If not, I may just try to get over it.

@T-Mobile GN3

Update 4.4.1 seemed to solve it, not a single problem. I just updated to 4.4.2 yesterday. A few hours ago my phone didn't want to send a group MMS. To test I also tried sending a picture MMS which also failed. I disconnected from the WiFi and the phone refused to connect to data until reboot. It connected to LTE and sent both the group message and MMS before dropping LTE and moving back to 'H' (not H+ - never have seen it connect to H+) until reboot. The phone not wanting to connect to data has me a bit concerned....

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Update 4.4.1 seemed to solve it, not a single problem. I just updated to 4.4.2 yesterday. A few hours ago my phone didn't want to send a group MMS. To test I also tried sending a picture MMS which also failed. I disconnected from the WiFi and the phone refused to connect to data until reboot. It connected to LTE and sent both the group message and MMS before dropping LTE and moving back to 'H' (not H+ - never have seen it connect to H+) until reboot. The phone not wanting to connect to data has me a bit concerned....
Sorry about that, I wouldn't put too much stock on "4.4.1 fixed it", Its likely nothing changed all along.

Since other phones from people around you didn't have the problem, so your phone does have the problem, either its yours alone, or a general N5 related issue.

If it bothers you, there is no harm asking for a replacement, if problem remains, at least you would know its likely a general problem.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Sorry about that, I wouldn't put too much stock on "4.4.1 fixed it", Its likely nothing changed all along.

Since other phones from people around you didn't have the problem, so your phone does have the problem, either its yours alone, or a general N5 related issue.

If it bothers you, there is no harm asking for a replacement, if problem remains, at least you would know its likely a general problem.

I just talked to Google about a replacement. The USB cable died on me and that was the last straw. The lady on the phone was excellent and got me an advanced replacement sent out so I can still use this one.

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

downhillrider

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed today while i was out that it didnt say lte but H. the connection seemed fine like things were loading ok but this post made me remember that I havent actually seen lte since I got my 5 2 weeks go. I popped my sim into an older windowsphone I have and turned off wifi and lte sprang up. now that I noticed it, is it something I should be worried about?

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I just noticed today while i was out that it didnt say lte but H. the connection seemed fine like things were loading ok but this post made me remember that I havent actually seen lte since I got my 5 2 weeks go. I popped my sim into an older windowsphone I have and turned off wifi and lte sprang up. now that I noticed it, is it something I should be worried about?

I'll update this thread after a few days with my new phone. Should be here Friday or Monday and I want to play around with it for awhile to make sure it's still working great. The last straw was when it wouldn't to ANY data connection until restart. That with the dead cable gave me the distinct feeling I should RMA.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I have been doing a lot of reading and apparently the cases where people have any signal problems (slow data/dropped reception/finicky LTE/etc) a replacement did the trick. I got the shipment notification tonight. I'll update when I get it and then update a few days after that with news on how things are working.

(Edit) Apparently I should be getting the revised edition with the larger holes and tighter buttons. Though it wasn't worth sending back for I am crossing my fingers that I won't have the power button and volume rocker rattle that I have with my current Nexus 5.

Last edited:

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
To tell you the truth my new Nexus 5 looks to have smaller grills but much more firm buttons (S/N 312XXX). Fortunately no rattle other than from the camera which would be the image stabilization doing its job. The vibration feels off, but it's the same type of off that my old one did so I guess I can assume it's a hardware design. Just feels loose compared to my S2 which felt very tight and nice. Guess I'm nitpicking an otherwise fantastic device. :)

I did notice after I made my first call with it the device lost all connection for a few seconds after which it picked up 3 bars. I'll just go with its a new device and it needs to 'get used' to the network as a second call didn't yield the same thing... So far no dropping WiFi signal but this is quite early to be sure I don't have bugs that I had with the previous device. I'll update in a few days. I may create a thread comparing the two before it send the other one back.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I have to say this must be an issue either with my SIM card, AT&T and/or the Nexus 5. I am going to the AT&T store sometime this weekend and having them give me a new SIM and resetting my location/network settings to see if that does the trick. So far I have had much better LTE coverage than my other phone but today when I drove to work when it dropped my WiFi connection instead of connecting to LTE it connected to HSPA+. Flipping Airplane mode on and off brought LTE to life. After several more hours of digging apparently I am not the only one with this issue. It plagues iPhones, various Android devices, and a couple Windows based phones. No one seems to have a definitive answer. Sometimes it's an app that causes it, sometimes its the phone that is defective (unlikely in my case as both devices had this), sometimes its a bad SIM, or AT&T has screwed up connection settings on their end and a reset works. I have noticed that when it won't connect to LTE if I give it anywhere between 5-20 minutes it will correct itself and connect to to LTE - maybe its when I cross to a different tower? Again, this is an issue that doesn't happen all of the time, only once or twice a week. Nothing that drives me crazy, it is just puzzling.

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay so I have to say this must be an issue either with my SIM card, AT&T and/or the Nexus 5. I am going to the AT&T store sometime this weekend and having them give me a new SIM and resetting my location/network settings to see if that does the trick. So far I have had much better LTE coverage than my other phone but today when I drove to work when it dropped my WiFi connection instead of connecting to LTE it connected to HSPA+. Flipping Airplane mode on and off brought LTE to life. After several more hours of digging apparently I am not the only one with this issue. It plagues iPhones, various Android devices, and a couple Windows based phones. No one seems to have a definitive answer. Sometimes it's an app that causes it, sometimes its the phone that is defective (unlikely in my case as both devices had this), sometimes its a bad SIM, or AT&T has screwed up connection settings on their end and a reset works. I have noticed that when it won't connect to LTE if I give it anywhere between 5-20 minutes it will correct itself and connect to to LTE - maybe its when I cross to a different tower? Again, this is an issue that doesn't happen all of the time, only once or twice a week. Nothing that drives me crazy, it is just puzzling.

This has ben an on going issue for many people. I am on Sprint and have the same issue. I have researched and found that people on TMobile, Sprint, and AT&T have this issue so it is "NOT" carrier related, or simm related. You haven't done a proper search because had you you will find a Google support group with open teckets that are being addressed by Google.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
This has ben an on going issue for many people. I am on Sprint and have the same issue. I have researched and found that people on TMobile, Sprint, and AT&T have this issue so it is "NOT" carrier related, or simm related. You haven't done a proper search because had you you will find a Google support group with open teckets that are being addressed by Google.

Just FYI I know what I am doing and did proper searches. While I saw problems with other carriers, most of their problems were a bit different - this is a problem that effects more than just the N5 though it's localized more on certain devices and the Nexus 5 is a big one. Also in some of this cases the fixes I mentioned worked. Also please keep your replies kind and respectful. Not a great idea to phase a response like that. You'll start a flame war and end up getting both you and the other person people banned. I don't mind, but I just wanted to warn you. I have seen it in other forums where I am a more senior member. I appreciate the reply though. I wonder what is causing my particular issue. I found an app that would fix as it runs in the background and then cycles the radio when you don't connect to LTE. It's a paid feature of the app so I didn't want to beta test. Maybe I'll give it a try and let people here know what I find.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it will ever show H+ up top. Only H. You have to look in your Settings / About Phone / Signal Strength and it will tell you there which you are on.

Posted via Android Central App

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't think it will ever show H+ up top. Only H. You have to look in your Settings / About Phone / Signal Strength and it will tell you there which you are on.

Posted via Android Central App

I forgot to mention that above. H stands for HSPA+. Found that out in my research but didn't include that in my follow up. My bad. Thanks for the clarification though! :)

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Just FYI I know what I am doing and did proper searches. While I saw problems with other carriers, most of their problems were a bit different - this is a problem that effects more than just the N5 though it's localized more on certain devices and the Nexus 5 is a big one. Also in some of this cases the fixes I mentioned worked. Also please keep your replies kind and respectful. Not a great idea to phase a response like that. You'll start a flame war and end up getting both you and the other person people banned. I don't mind, but I just wanted to warn you. I have seen it in other forums where I am a more senior member. I appreciate the reply though. I wonder what is causing my particular issue. I found an app that would fix as it runs in the background and then cycles the radio when you don't connect to LTE. It's a paid feature of the app so I didn't want to beta test. Maybe I'll give it a try and let people here know what I find.

There was no disrepsect or unkind statement made or implied to you. The mere fact that you suggest it relevant as a problem only with AT&T suggest that you were not as informed as you lead on. The software rolled out to address bugs 4.4.1-4.4.2 never fixed the problem, and Google now acknowledges that therre is probably a bug. If you feel put off I apologize, However I still stand by what I said and intend you no disrespect.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
There was no disrepsect or unkind statement made or implied to you. The mere fact that you suggest it relevant as a problem only with AT&T suggest that you were not as informed as you lead on. The software rolled out to address bugs 4.4.1-4.4.2 never fixed the problem, and Google now acknowledges that therre is probably a bug. If you feel put off I apologize, However I still stand by what I said and intend you no disrespect.

I had a feeling you didn't mean it like that. Again, even if you meant how you may have come across I wouldn't have minded. I was just letting you know someone else may take offense. Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate any feedback and help anyone can provide :).

But there are phones from other manufacturers that have the same exact problem. Usually some sort of fix by the user can rectify it. Sometimes not. The iPhone 5 was apparently plagued by the problem as well with no fix that I could find. I am merely trying to do everything possible to fix it. I did not know it was a software issue with the phone. I have done hours of research and nothing I have pulled up has lead me to it. Can you provide a link showing Google has acknowledged it? I would like to read it myself. I called a week or two ago and two different reps acted ignorant that there was a problem.

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I had a feeling you didn't mean it like that. Again, even if you meant how you may have come across I wouldn't have minded. I was just letting you know someone else may take offense. Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate any feedback and help anyone can provide :).

But there are phones from other manufacturers that have the same exact problem. Usually some sort of fix by the user can rectify it. Sometimes not. The iPhone 5 was apparently plagued by the problem as well with no fix that I could find. I am merely trying to do everything possible to fix it. I did not know it was a software issue with the phone. I have done hours of research and nothing I have pulled up has lead me to it. Can you provide a link showing Google has acknowledged it? I would like to read it myself. I called a week or two ago and two different reps acted ignorant that there was a problem.

I truly understand, and only wanted you and everyone else to know that Google is suppose to be working on a fix, and that All Nexus 5 one all carriers have this issue. There is a thread that is started on this forum that post links to the Google suport group page about this issue.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/nexus/nexus-5/3gVF5Dm-yG0

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/nexus/nexus-5/eOToYgJXdrw

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I truly understand, and only wanted you and everyone else to know that Google is suppose to be working on a fix, and that All Nexus 5 one all carriers have this issue. There is a thread that is started on this forum that post links to the Google suport group page about this issue.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/nexus/nexus-5/3gVF5Dm-yG0

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/nexus/nexus-5/eOToYgJXdrw

Those links are about different problems I haven't experienced. Maybe you linked the incorrect threads? Or I could just be going bonkers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC