What was your previous phone? Do you like the Nexus 5 more or less? Why?

eazyweazy3

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Came from the Note 3. I absolutely love this phone. I really did enjoy the Note 3 and the size was never an issue for me but the GPS and WiFi issues I had made the phone unusable. I use my phone a lot for Nike Running and MapMyRide and it constantly loses signal leaving me with horrible results upon finishing up my runs/rides. I saw a deal on swappa that caught my eye and bit. Absolutely love this feel, the size, it's fast, and best of all I haven't lost wifi or gps signal once. Now I cannot wait to ship out my Note 3 once it's sold. I look forward to the Nexus 6 and if it's anything like the 5, day one buy for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nophix

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I came from an iPhone 5. Still love the iPhone, but the 5 suffered some severe quality issues. I bounce around phone OS's anyhow, and was looking for something different.

I had a Galaxy Nexus for a while and loved the phone, but the battery was horrendous! I couldn't even keep it charged while plugged into a 2amp charger.

I wound up getting an S3, which I loved, and then the i5 when it came out.

Actually, the 5s is the first iPhone I've skipped buying. I've been phone shopping for a few weeks now since my 3rd home button was failing.

It came down to the LG G2 or the N5. Samsung's screens just don't look good to me anymore, and we've had very poor luck with HTC over the years.My wife jumped from the HTC One to the G2, and its a pretty rocking device, but the pure Android experience and N5 form factor won out.

So far I couldn't be happier. Its the perfect size without being unusable with one hand, and the thing is just fast!

I do miss the battery life of the iPhone. I'm always by a charger, so the only time it will be a problem is if I use it on the motorcycle. I tend to use the GPS and audio streaming.

But, I found a few places I can buy the bare qi charger circuitry, so I'm going to build it into the mount and see if if works.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I have had a string of Nexi since my introduction to Android. Have had an S, GN, 4, and 5. Fantastic device.

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I was coming from a galaxy nexus so it was basically impossible for me not to like the Nexus 5 more.

Literally everything on this phone was an upgrade from the Gnex including battery life which I know people complain about but has been really good to me.

Also I really like the design of the phone. I'm rocking it naked and I just really like the soft touch black and the very minimalist sleek design.

Stephan Hall

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: What was your previous phone? Do you like the N5 more or less? Why?

I agree! The N5 allows one to enjoy cutting edge features at a mid range price. After reading extensively about different phones I became curious about the Nexus 5. I took the plunge. After some time I now understand why people like the Nexus 5. It's a phone for the enthusiast. I have enjoyed this phone.

bbalak

May 2, 2010
Visit site
My White 32 GB Nexus 5 arrives tomorrow with a new T-Mobile SIM. I currently have service on Verizon with a GS4, and I'm very happy with it, but I like the idea of the cell/data company keeping their chocolate out of my peanut butter (aka, let Google do the updates, just provide the service for me). If the service is good, I'll consider switching our whole family.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I totally understand that not everyone appreciates the same qualities that I do in devices, but I agree that referring to any Nexus as a "budget" device is a major mistake.

If "budget" is not the right word to describe the Nexus 5, what would be a more appropriate adjective?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
If "budget" is not the right word to describe the Nexus 5, what would be a more appropriate adjective?

"Cost effective". :) I dunno. It isn't a budget phone, though. I see those as cheap phones that get the job done for the most part with low specs and cheap materials. The Moto G is king there. I see the N5 as a top tier flagship with a GREAT price.

Stephan Hall

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I too had the Samsung S3. After setting up the Nexus 5 I get great battery life. I don't understand all the conversation about the N5 battery life. Sure if you got everything running ...notifications, Google now, GPS ..etc. etc. ...... battery life will suffer. I use the "battery saving" mode in location services ..... turn my screen down to an acceptable level, Turn off notifications for all but what I really need. I now get a full day's battery life with ease and that's with "banging" on it alot during the day. I get better battery life than my S3!!! If you have the N5 set up properly .... battery life should not be an issue!

Stephan Hall

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree. If I had to do it all over again .... I'd buy another. Been my favorite phone too date. For $350.00 it's amazing ....... It's no doubt "flagship" at a proper price. Pure android ..... first to update ........ a phone for the real android enthusiast. I prefer the Nexus 5 over any phone regardless of the price!!!

Stephan Hall

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

But the fact is ...... most don't know that much about the Nexus phone. I've been asked what kind of phone I have as they flash their HTC or Samsung flagship ..... I tell them It's a Nexus 5 and they look at me like a "deer in the headlights"! They don't get it! Real enthusiats will know ...they usually have one!!

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
"Cost effective". :) I dunno. It isn't a budget phone, though. I see those as cheap phones that get the job done for the most part with low specs and cheap materials. The Moto G is king there. I see the N5 as a top tier flagship with a GREAT price.

I totally agree. However, the Moto G is a bit more than a "budget" phone as far as performance. I had one, and was pretty darn fast, good screen, and will handle pretty much anything you throw at it. Maybe budget as far as price, but it's not a low end phone. The Moto G was more than adequate for my needs, it's just I really wanted the N5. Nothing more to it than that.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
I agree. If I had to do it all over again .... I'd buy another. Been my favorite phone too date. For $350.00 it's amazing ....... It's no doubt "flagship" at a proper price. Pure android ..... first to update ........ a phone for the real android enthusiast. I prefer the Nexus 5 over any phone regardless of the price!!!

No doubt. Even if I was rich beyond belief, the N5 would be my go-to phone. It's like it was made for me.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree. However, the Moto G is a bit more than a "budget" phone as far as performance. I had one, and was pretty darn fast, good screen, and will handle pretty much anything you throw at it. Maybe budget as far as price, but it's not a low end phone. The Moto G was more than adequate for my needs, it's just I really wanted the N5. Nothing more to it than that.

Yeah, it's a great phone from what I understand. But it is made from 2 year old components and is dirt cheap at $200 for 16gb. To me, that's a budget phone. But it is definitely king of that mountain - in that it, in no way performs like a cheap phone. I love that Moto was able to provide such a quality performing phone at that price.

The Nexus 5 is made out of current components (at least when it was made), has a 1080p screen and good 8mp camera. So I say it isn't budget based on that. It's very much a flagship. That's at least how I differentiate between budget and flagship.

But I 100% agree that the G doesn't perform like a low end device.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

But the fact is ...... most don't know that much about the Nexus phone. I've been asked what kind of phone I have as they flash their HTC or Samsung flagship ..... I tell them It's a Nexus 5 and they look at me like a "deer in the headlights"! They don't get it! Real enthusiats will know ...they usually have one!!

Yeah, when people ask me what kind of phone I have, (the red N5 catches their eye) I tell them, and then they shrug their shoulders, and say "Oh OK". If it's not a galaxy S or iPhone, they have no clue.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus 5 is made out of current components (at least when it was made), has a 1080p screen and good 8mp camera. So I say it isn't budget based on that. It's very much a flagship. That's at least how I differentiate between budget and flagship.

I think of the Nexus 5 as a budget flagship. Relatively speaking, I didn't have to pay a lot of money for it, so I think "budget" is an appropriate word to describe the Nexus 5. The important part is that it gets the job done.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
S2 that was falling apart. It became unbearable to use after awhile. The Nexus 5 blows it away even when you compare the S2 new for its time - when I got it. So glad I got a N5!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang