What was your previous phone? Do you like the Nexus 5 more or less? Why?

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I am coming from a s3 and nexus 4. Liked the s3 until it developed some bugs and the updates to fix it never came, while my Nexus 7 did get updates and stayed relevant.

For whatever reason, the batter life on my s3 was terrible. I had to purchase external batter pack to manage (yes external so I could use it with other devices). Also became very laggy compared to my Nexus 7. Both devices were purchased the same time.

I ditched the N4 because I liked it and wanted the Nexus 5. It was just an upgrade and then gave it to the wife who was also unhappy with her s3.

What about you?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: What was your previous phone? Do you like the N5 more or less? Why?

I only got the Nexus 5 to see what all the hype was about. It is a decent phone but I prefer the G2 with CM10.2 more so that's what I stuck with.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Came from an LG Optimus F7 which I thought was daBomb after my Kyocera Hydro, until I got my smokin' hot N5 which blows this whole crazy world away. :screwy::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:p

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

RandomContent

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

Coming off a HP Veer. I mostly use the phone for talking, email, and texting, so having a real slide out keyboard was an advantage, plus being a small phone, the battery life was huge (it could disappear in any pocket, and I could just use my BT headset for all conversations. I do like some of the Apps I've added to the Nexus (TripIt especially), but miss the long battery life and ease of hands free dialing that the HP unit provided. Maybe this will get better with updates?

JRDEMASKUS

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Coming from Dell Streak 5. Ran it for 39 months. There is just no comparison.
Chrome browser is soo fast now!
I loved the DS5, the best device I ever had! Solid build, always worked. But stuck at GB2.3.3 and starting to fail because the browser became outdated, and 3rd party browsers didn't solve the problem.
I bought the Nexus 5, off contract, so I could stay with the Android OS, and use my ATT upgrade to buy the 6" Nokia 1520, Widows Phone 8 device.
They are both Great devices, but Chrome is faster than Internet Explorer, and Windows Phone OS has some growing to do.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

Went from Galaxy Nexus to Nexus5. Felt like trading in a well running Honda for a BMW. Better battery life, faster and just stoopid pretty!

kgbkny

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

I came from a GS4 Google Edition, which I gave to my wife to replace her aging GS3. There are things I liked more about the GS4GE, like the display and expandable storage (the lack of removable battery doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would), and there are things that I like more about the Nexus 5, such as the lack of manufacturer involvement in the update process, build quality, lack of physical buttons and the latest processor. In the end, I'd say I like both phones equally in terms of features/specs, but the Nexus edges out the GS4GE in terms of price. The GS4's SAMOLED HD display is gorgeous and the expandable storage may come in handy, but they alone are not worth nearly twice the price of the Nexus 5.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

From a GPE GNex to the N5. There is no comparison. The N5 is faster, LTE, 4.4, brighter screen, it's just better in every way.

Buckeyes

May 31, 2010
Visit site

I had the HTC One. I prefered the One. Nicer screen, camera and look. Don't dislike the 5, but like the One better. Screen shattered two weeks ago, so the 5 was an easy, relatively inexpensive replacement.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Coming from Dell Streak 5. Ran it for 39 months. There is just no comparison.
Chrome browser is soo fast now!
I loved the DS5, the best device I ever had! Solid build, always worked. But stuck at GB2.3.3 and starting to fail because the browser became outdated, and 3rd party browsers didn't solve the problem.
I bought the Nexus 5, off contract, so I could stay with the Android OS, and use my ATT upgrade to buy the 6" Nokia 1520, Widows Phone 8 device.
They are both Great devices, but Chrome is faster than Internet Explorer, and Windows Phone OS has some growing to do.

39 months...impressive.

n7 LTE

nestafaria

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

Had S4 and wanted off Verizon. Decided to try the Nexus line. Its certainly faster, but less features. With a camera update, I'd say they are about even, with the S4 more usable out of the box.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

I had a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket with CyanogenMod10.1.3 and I SIM-unlocked it (ATT was no help, so I did it myself) to boot. I had it for almost the entire two years. I was happy with it for the most part, especially when I flashed CM10 nighties and eventually stable roughly 6-8 months into the phone's life. It started to run sluggishly in the end, and even wiping and reflashing didn't help. I was looking at the Nexus 5 for the months prior to release, and I wanted a stock Android experience that I got updates for out-of-the-box. 5 weeks into this phone, I don't mind the non-removable battery of the Nexus 5, though I do miss not having an external SD slot. I have about 20 GB of space left so space isn't a concern for now, but it's a "nice to have" IMO.

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

I had a GS3 and I do not miss it at all. I like some aspects of touch wiz, like multi View, and music hub, but I don't miss anything else.

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Replaced a Droid DNA with the Nexus 5...

I prefer the DNA's screen a tiny bit more, as I feel the viewing angles are a bit wider, but I do like going back to a (stable) stock Android and on-screen keys.

I do feel like my battery was better on the DNA, however.

essinger

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Had the LG Thrive. Everything is better on the N5, though I kind of enjoyed having the most awful smartphone with the latest version of Android, thanks to CM. But, yeah, I'm pretty happy with the upgrade.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I'm coming from the GS3. I loved the S3 except for the horrific battery life. But that's partially my own fault for not reading more of the many online reviews and tests saying it was really bad. I'm excited to see the improved performance of the N5.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I'm coming from the GS3. I loved the S3 except for the horrific battery life. But that's partially my own fault for not reading more of the many online reviews and tests saying it was really bad. I'm excited to see the improved performance of the N5.

you just can't help yourself to contaminate every thread, can you? :-X

So I guess when you read the reviews, somehow you forgot one of the most comprehensive battery tests here:

gsmarena_002.jpggsmarena_002.jpg

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Today I have my S3 at work. At 10, I put it on the charger because it was down to 43%. It had less than an hour of screen on time and I had not done any downloading of any sort. I had about 8 minutes of voice calls and sent probably 50 hangouts messages. No web browsing, and it was at 100% when I took it off my charger at 6:15 this morning. So in 4 hours with VERY MINIMAL usage it was down almost 60%. I am SO happy for GSM Arena that they got these results. I never have. With either of my GS3's that i've owned.

Contaminating a thread would be to make false claims to deceive, OR to harrass someone no matter what they say. I haven't made a false claim regarding my S3. I have however, been harrassed today by you and I would kindly ask you to stop following me around and internet stalking me. If you want to send me a private message, please feel free to do so. But there's no reason to destroy each thread on this forum by making claims about a device that you've never owned or even used extensively, to try to and sway people from buying a device you've also never owned.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

I would simply remind readers an individual's experience may be different than a device's average performance, therefore, do take those with some grains of salt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2