Have You Gotten KitKat 4.4.1? Thread

Roberto Flint

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Go to Apps, Google Services Framework and clear data. Once you've done that go to settings, about phone and system updates. Just done that and my nexus updated to 4.4.1!!!!!

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Is there anyway to install it while on a Mac? I don't own a PC. All the instructions I find are for PCs, it seems.

A few days of waiting isn't that big of a deal, though.

Joedm45

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Quick question guys as it's been a while since I updated a phone.

What data do you normally lose when updating? All Apps deleted? Received SMS deleted? Anything else? Or none of the above?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Is there anyway to install it while on a Mac? I don't own a PC. All the instructions I find are for PCs, it seems.

A few days of waiting isn't that big of a deal, though.
Yes. You need to have the Android SDK installed and be able to use a few commands. It's really easy, just takes a few minutes to understand the process before you jump in. I reverted back to stock then pushed the update using my Macbook Pro and using this guide (substitute the Nexus 5 files): How to manually update your Nexus tablet to KitKat [updated] | Android Central

If you are stock then that will work. Stock rooted will work as well, but won't if you installed a custom ROM or Kernel, which is why I restored to stock. Good luck :)

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes. You need to have the Android SDK installed and be able to use a few commands. It's really easy, just takes a few minutes to understand the process before you jump in. I reverted back to stock then pushed the update using my Macbook Pro and using this guide (substitute the Nexus 5 files): How to manually update your Nexus tablet to KitKat [updated] | Android Central

If you are stock then that will work. Stock rooted will work as well, but won't if you installed a custom ROM or Kernel, which is why I restored to stock. Good luck :)

I'm confused at steps 10 and 11:

On your computer, open up a command prompt or terminal window.
Using the command line, navigate to the Android SDK/platform-tools folder

What does that mean "using the command line, navigate to the Android SDK/platform-tools folder" ?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm confused at steps 10 and 11:

On your computer, open up a command prompt or terminal window.
Using the command line, navigate to the Android SDK/platform-tools folder

What does that mean "using the command line, navigate to the Android SDK/platform-tools folder" ?
You want to navigate to the saved location of the platform-tools folder. With the Terminal open, type:
Code:
cd /location/of/platform-tools
You can easily open the sdk folder and right-click on the platform-tools folder and copy the whole location. Paste that after "cd" then press enter.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You want to navigate to the saved location of the platform-tools folder. With the Terminal open, type:
Code:
You can easily open the sdk folder and right-click on the platform-tools folder and copy the whole location. Paste that after "cd" then press enter.

Gotcha. Going to give it a shot. Will update. Thanks!

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Code:

I keep getting a syntax error in the terminal. I'm pasting the "COPY Platform-tools" when I right click the folder to the terminal, then adding "./adb-mac sideload <the complete name of the OTA zip file you want to flash>" (including the dot in front of /adb...) and then putting the full file name of the zip "7ed504f678cea49ecf0974e8cd956e2974e3f943.signed-hammerhead-KOT49E-from-KRT16M.7ed504f6" inside the < >

but giving me errors. Where am I going wrong?

EDIT: Okay, I see I'm not supposed to use < > for the file name, but now it's giving me "No such file or directory" ...

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
BTW, when it says "have the latest Android SDK installed" what's that mean? Just unzipping the ADK Bundle? Or do I have to actually install something from the unzipped stuff? And if so, what? There are so many things.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I keep getting a syntax error in the terminal. I'm pasting the "COPY Platform-tools" when I right click the folder to the terminal, then adding "./adb-mac sideload <the complete name of the OTA zip file you want to flash>" (including the dot in front of /adb...) and then putting the full file name of the zip "7ed504f678cea49ecf0974e8cd956e2974e3f943.signed-hammerhead-KOT49E-from-KRT16M.7ed504f6" inside the < >

but giving me errors. Where am I going wrong?
remove the "-mac"
I think it should be ./adb sideload

Look at the device and at the bottom it will say what to enter.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, when it says "have the latest Android SDK installed" what's that mean? Just unzipping the ADK Bundle? Or do I have to actually install something from the unzipped stuff? And if so, what? There are so many things.
Just download the bundle and install it. That will be the latest provided you got the download from Google's site.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
remove the "-mac"
I think it should be ./adb sideload

Look at the device and at the bottom it will say what to enter.

- - - Updated - - -

Just download the bundle and install it. That will be the latest provided you got the download from Google's site.

Installing meaning unzipping it? That's all I did.

As for the Terminal, still no luck. Tried every combination. Basically reads this:

................./adt-bundle-mac-x86_64-20131030/sdk/platform-tools./adb sideload/7ed504f678cea49ecf0974e8cd956e2974e3f943.signed-hammerhead-KOT49E-from-KRT16M.7ed504f6

But still giving me "no such file" error. Tried all sorts of combinations. With the .zip, without; without the slash before the file name, etc. No luck. This is where I always get stuck every time I try to sideload...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
after platform-tools remove the "." before the "/". A simple thing like that will cause the error. Also, the file needs to end in .zip (looks like you copied the first part of the file name again). Another note is that the file needs to be dropped into the Platform-tools folder and not another folder.

................./adt-bundle-mac-x86_64-20131030/sdk/platform-tools./adb sideload/7ed504f678cea49ecf0974e8cd956e2974e3f943.signed-hammerhead-KOT49E-from-KRT16M.7ed504f6

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
after platform-tools remove the "." before the "/". A simple thing like that will cause the error. Also, the file needs to end in .zip (looks like you copied the first part of the file name again). Another note is that the file needs to be dropped into the Platform-tools folder and not another folder.

Ah! That was what was on the Android Central site... that dot. Ok...

Woah, now it spilled out this whole Android Debug Bridge thing... Very long. Doesn't seem like it's installing anything on my phone though.

EDIT: And if I don't use the slash in front of the zip file name, it says "Cannot read ... file name"

Like this: ............../adt-bundle-mac-x86_64-20131030/sdk/platform-tools/adb sideload 7ed504f678cea49ecf0974e8cd956e2974e3f943.signed-hammerhead-KOT49E-from-KRT16M.7ed504f6

ChrisS#AC

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Not yet on my Nexus 10, hoping that it will fix my Exchange accounts, (Corp and MSN) will not update.
I've tried various different options for sync from Push to every hour, and I just get a message saying unable to sync.
Impatiently waiting.......

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again for your help and, above all, patience. You basically held my newbie hands step by step. Really appreciate it.

Time to bite into 4.4.1!
No problem. Glad to see you got it installed. Keep the file for backup and possibly consider downloading the 4.4 Factory Image for the Nexus 5 (Hammerhead) just in case you need to restore it. Restoring to factory image is almost the same, so you have a good idea of what needs to be done.