Nexus 5 Battery Charging Icon When Phone is Off

emcee squared

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Hello, folks.

I'm a proud and happy owner of a Nexus 5, but have an odd quirk. I'm rooted with the stock ROM and Trinity Kernel (which I think may be the culprit, I'm not going to read 1,000 responses on a thread in a different forum to find out). To my problem: whenever the phone is off and plugged in my laptop's USB port or the travel/wall charger, the initial charging icon that shows the battery's level does not disappear. Even when I have unplugged the charger, the icon stays until I boot up the phone. Do any wise folks on here have a suggestion aside from a factory reset? I've tried a few things already, but do hit me with ideas.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm bootloader unlocked, rooted with stock kernel and when I power+plug charger into wall outlet the battery charging symbol is there. It goes off about 10-15 seconds afterwards and will re-appear when I press the power button. I think this is pretty common with all android devices while powered off and charging.

Are you saying the screen never turns off and the symbol is on the screen the whole time (until reboot)?

emcee squared

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm bootloader unlocked, rooted with stock kernel and when I power+plug charger into wall outlet the battery charging symbol is there. It goes off about 10-15 seconds afterwards and will re-appear when I press the power button. I think this is pretty common with all android devices while powered off and charging.

Are you saying the screen never turns off and the symbol is on the screen the whole time (until reboot)?

Correct.

emcee squared

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it might be related to the kernel. I'm not sure why that would be and don't think a factory reset will clear it - though, it doesn't hurt to try if you are up to backing-up your data.

I'll try some other things. It isn't a huge deal, just slightly annoying if I want to charge quickly.