Is the Power Button SUPPOSED to rattle??

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
As the title says. Not sure if this is normal or not, or this is a first batch problem.

Just to clarify, I'm referring to the ceramic power button being loose on the phone - loose enough to the point of rattling if I shake it hard enough

New phone received, and the new one does NOT have a loose and rattling power key. Thanks

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
No. Others have said theirs does, and requested replacements if there was worry it may fall out or malfunction.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Mine kind of rattles when I tap the top of my phone, but other than that it is pretty solid.

Posted via Android Central App

El Valluco

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I, along with everyone I know that got a Nex 5 has a power button rattling problem. Report back if your replacement doesn't rattle. Sounds pretty widespread, so good luck.

Posted via Android Central App

Rayzaa

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Mine is a little loose. If a shake the phone a little i hear a very slight sound. I mean it is slight. Yes it is a bit loose but i have my slim armor case on it so that holds it in place. Tht is the only issue i have. Other than that, i have no issue with the phone not ringing or any issue with Hangouts and not sending or recieving MMS and the speaker though not real loud,, it isnt real weak either.

I figure once i get 4.4.2, it will fix the camera and speaker and this phone will be awesome.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't perceive the power button on mine rattling at all. Maybe my eyes and ears aren't good enough to notice minute problems anymore.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

EviI

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I think almost everyone's power button on the Nexus 5 rattles. It doesn't bother me.
The satisfying click it makes when I press it makes up for the rattling ;)

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
No rattle at all on my launch unit. I guess I got lucky as I don't have any of the launch issues reported, button rattle, dead pixels etc.

With the update to 4.2.2 the speaker volume and clarity is much better (every bit as good as my moto x was) and the camera is much faster as well.

IMO, the update has made this device just about perfect and for the price there is nothing that can touch it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Oy vey!

Please understand that the power button (and volume buttons) almost certainly do not rattle. If anything rattles at all, it would be the ceramic button activators which fit loosely in cutouts in the plastic case and which, when pressed, activate the actual circuit board-mounted buttons.

I suggest you take 33 minutes to view this video for a full understanding of how your Nexus 5 is constructed. In particular, notice the three white buttons which are visible at 17:15 - 17:35 and the ceramic button activators which can be seen at 21:22 - 22:05.

This guy makes great teardown videos, by the way!

stevemedes

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Strangely I have the opposite issue that others have. My volume rocker rattles a good bit, however my power button doesn't rattle at all.

Sent from my Nexus 5

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
whatever exactly it is that's rattling, it rattles. don't need to get into semantics. it shouldn't rattle, period. guess i'm a little spoiled coming from the s4.. and every other phone i've ever owned.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I suspect what you are really hearing is the rear camera. If you watch the video posted above, you can see that the camera contains floating parts which, when tapped, do indeed make a bit of a rattle.

Pretty hard to avoid, in my opinion...

kyoo

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
it's the power button/cover. i can jiggle it around with my finger and it makes the same noise. it's that loose.

dataquest#IM

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Yes. This is what I am thinking as well.
I suspect what you are really hearing is the rear camera. If you watch the video posted above, you can see that the camera contains floating parts which, when tapped, do indeed make a bit of a rattle.

Pretty hard to avoid, in my opinion...

mjburt

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Mine only rattles when I shake my phone, and I use a case so it doesn't really bother me. I just think that its a tolerance thing with the plastic button

Mike

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I think almost everyone's power button on the Nexus 5 rattles. It doesn't bother me.
The satisfying click it makes when I press it makes up for the rattling ;)

No there is zero play in my ceramic buttons even if you try to wiggle it. I think LG got some buttons that were undersized since ceramic could shrink during manufacturing. There are few people posting about this issue after the first batch of N5's were released, so I think they got rid of the quality issue for the most part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton