I was wrestling with Hangouts trying to add an SMS hangout for a contact. It kept telling me it found multiple profiles for that contact (whatever that means). I went to the People app and opened that contact. All looked fine (if I look at the contact on a computer via google.com/contacts, it also looks fine). I then hit the three dots and edited the contact. In that view, there are several clumps of information with a lot of duplication (it's even worse on some of my other contacts). My guess is that those clumps represent my importing various sources of contacts and merging the duplicates. But, I can't find any way to get rid of those useless, duplicated, clumps. Just deleting as much of the spurious data doesn't delete the clumps: they're just left there with mostly blank fields. Is there some way to clean these things up?
    12-10-2013 09:26 AM
    I had the same issue. I ended up clearing the data and cache in the app and uninstalling the update and rebooting the phone and then updating again. I am now signed out of Hangouts so it works like any other SMS/MMS app. I am afraid to sign back in for fear of having it start all over again. It is an issue with Hangouts, not your contact (People) list.
    12-10-2013 10:19 AM