What antivirus do you use? Are they necessary?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Antivirus

Hi! I installed the free version of Lookout on both phones (and AVG antivirus on one I use seldom). I don't know if it's necessary but I guess it gives a tiny bit of peace of mind. The premium version has cool features like in case of theft I think it videos the thief, etc. Other stuff. ;)

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Antivirus

I don't use one. If you don't install one just be smart about what sites you visit and where you download files from, such as apps from sources other than the Play Store or any other reputable source.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I use the paid version of Norton, though the free version is certainly enough for most. Any time you start surfing the net you open yourself up to possible issues. You can be the most careful person in the world but even legitimate sites like Yahoo or CNN can still occasionally get compromised.

Wait, did I just say Yahoo is legitimate?

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Well I was using AVG today that is #5 but after reading this I will move to this articles #2 rated free " Antivirus and Mobile Security by TrustGo Inc".

Number 2 on our list is Antivirus and Mobile Security by TrustGo Inc. This is the highest rated free app on the list. It is 100% free with no pay options. Aside from being free, it has also won awards for its protection and security. The anti-theft includes a feature that will snap a picture of the thief if they enter your password wrong 3 times. It then emails you the picture. If you want to try it out, use the button below.

Top 10 antivirus and anti-malware apps for Android

AndroidDario

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Well I was using AVG today that is #5 but after reading this I will move to this articles #2 rated free " Antivirus and Mobile Security by TrustGo Inc".

Number 2 on our list is Antivirus and Mobile Security by TrustGo Inc. This is the highest rated free app on the list. It is 100% free with no pay options. Aside from being free, it has also won awards for its protection and security. The anti-theft includes a feature that will snap a picture of the thief if they enter your password wrong 3 times. It then emails you the picture. If you want to try it out, use the button below.

Top 10 antivirus and anti-malware apps for Android

Hornet looks like a valid alternative.

Sent from my Vodafone 875 using AC Forums mobile app

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Lookout works. it found and alerted me to "Secret SMS Replicator" on my phone when i purposely installed it as a test. if someone would surreptitiously install a spy app like this - i would probably never know about it without a scanner app like Lookout. that's enough for me. and the "Find My Phone" feature is a plus.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
As lookout and Google have tested those apps. There failure rate was high on 3rd party virus apps not detecting virus or bugs. Biggest problem those PC apps are just feeding on the public fear. U can add these apps if u want but are not needed. Google already has bouncer and 3rd party app scanner built in. And with Google adding the find my phone and remote wipe, lookout isn't really needed. And alas just read the countless post on this matter you'll see the same jiberesh posted over and over and over again.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

newsman787

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Just for safety and peace of mind, I use Lookout. Have for years and it has protected me on at least two occasions. Others may suggest not needed. They may be right. But what about that one time they aren't?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Lookout will alert you at every scan to spyware that was surreptitiously sideloaded. i don't think Google's tools continually monitor current apps - i think Google just alerts on the initial install. so if a bad girl knows your security pattern and gets access to your phone - she could install spyware and you'd never know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjFCrnCznQ

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Contrary to what you’ve heard, Android is almost impenetrable to malware

"Google’s Android Security chief Adrian Ludwig reported data showing that less than an estimated 0.001% of app installations on Android are able to evade the system’s multi-layered defenses and cause harm to users. Android, built on an open innovation model, has quietly resisted the locked down, total control model spawned by decades of Windows malware. Ludwig spoke today at the Virus Bulletin conference in Berlin because he has the data to dispute the claims of pervasive Android malware threats. "

"A recent leaked report (pdf) from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) found that most Android malware was installed via text message. We’ve asked DHS to confirm its findings but have gotten no response at this time. This is what Ludwig had to say:

“An application that a user installs from a link within a text message would be included in these statistics [reported today in Berlin]. Some of the short one to two day increases in ratio of installs per million apps can be attributed to text messaging or email spam campaigns.”

Contradicting these anecdotal reports, Ludwig’s analysis indicates that Android malware is not as significant a threat as has often been reported. Ludwig suggests that combining Google’s data driven approach with the research efforts of the industry will improve Android’s malware defenses going forward. "

George Jenkinson

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Wish I could claim to have come up with the following, but I can't:

The best virus defence your phone has is YOU! If you're careful about what sites you visit and what you download, you ought to be safe....

[Remember, you read it here first and I read elsewhere before that!]

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay