How to send "mass" sms to contact group?

Plattfuss1

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Already did a quick search, but couldn't find an answer.

What I'd like to do:
1. I have a group in my contacts.
2. Send an SMS to that group in hangouts.

What I can do at the moment is write an sms and add people individually. That might be fine if I only want to message a few people, but not if I want to message 10 or so. So how can I select a group? Tbh this is my first android phone, been using an old Nokia 5800 before and there was an option to select groups in the sms app.

P.S.: Can't find an option to email a group in the gmail app either.

Edit: Using Nexus 5 - 4.4.2
Hangouts 2.0.217

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
In Hangouts, touch the "+" sign at the upper right to make a new hangout. Find the first person you want to add in the list and tap it. It will add that contact and give another box saying "Anyone else?" Touch that and repeat the process as needed. When you're done, you can either enter the message there or back out of it. The group should be on the front Hangouts page. To send a group message from there, touch the group and then the "Send an MMS message" blurb down at the bottom left.

Plattfuss1

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your answer.

Find the first person you want to add in the list and tap it. It will add that contact and give another box saying "Anyone else?" Touch that and repeat the process as needed. When you're done, you can either enter the message there or back out of it. The group should be on the front Hangouts page.

What I can do at the moment is write an sms and add people individually. That might be fine if I only want to message a few people, but not if I want to message 10 or so.

As I wrote, I'm aware of that, but that doesn't really help.
I know I could keep that "group" in my inbox in case I wanted to send another group message in the future. But it would probably take longer to search for that message than it would to enter all contacts again one by one...

"Send an MMS message"
Doesn't really matter, but I just need SMS function (MMS are charged separately here in the UK at about 0.25USD each).

Anyhow, textra works just fine. Think I'll stick with that for now :)

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your answer.

textra is way better, glad you agree

As I wrote, I'm aware of that, but that doesn't really help.
I know I could keep that "group" in my inbox in case I wanted to send another group message in the future. But it would probably take longer to search for that message than it would to enter all contacts again one by one...

Doesn't really matter, but I just need SMS function (MMS are charged separately here in the UK at about 0.25USD each).

Anyhow, textra works just fine. Think I'll stick with that for now :)

Jaideep ms

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I believe this is a recent update that has made hangouts impossible to tolerate...
I remember texting a set of people it was as simple as adding a person from the contact list...

Phew...!!! this is hilarious...
Agreed Textra seems to be better...