How To Use Nexus 5 As a Remote Controller

AndroidDario

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Heard that it can be used as a remote controller. Which app is best? Do you need to set it up?
As soon as my N5 arrives I want to try even this function! :)

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site
using android devices as a remote control for TV, audio, lighting, etc... can all be done, but how one does that is very much dependent on what device/devices you want to control. In many cases, this will require additional hardware.

The general exception to that rule (requiring additional hardware) is if you are trying to control another device that is network enabled, and you can find an app from the manufacturer of that other device.

AndroidDario

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
using android devices as a remote control for TV, audio, lighting, etc... can all be done, but how one does that is very much dependent on what device/devices you want to control. In many cases, this will require additional hardware.

The general exception to that rule (requiring additional hardware) is if you are trying to control another device that is network enabled, and you can find an app from the manufacturer of that other device.

Thought to control TV and dvd player.

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Works great with BubbleUpNp app to control my DLNA wireless home entertainment system!

Also works with TV Side View app to control my SONY Blueray player & access TV Guide.

Last edited:

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

There is no IR on the Nexus 5. However I have Comcast that has the Xfinity App that I can use my Nexus 5 to change channels and even record TV shows on my Xfinity DVR. Also has XFINITY TV Go to stream TV shows and movies from premium channels like HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax and cable channels like TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network, A&E, AMC, WETV, Food Network and HGTV.

Check your TV cable or service provider to see what Apps they have in Play Store.

oberkc

May 27, 2011
Visit site

This depends on brand, model, etc.

If internet enabled, there might be an app for both devices.

If not, you would have to make a choice about what hardware you want to use to transmit IR. I use a global cache WF2IR. I think there is still a device called redeye. Also, Logitech still sells the ultimate hub. There are probably others. Unfortunately, there is no IR built in, so you need additional hardware.

Apps for control will vary, depending on hardware chosen.

ikegawataro

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I just bought the iTach Wifi to IR (WF2IR) and set it up. Now I am trying to figure out which app to use on my Nexus 5 for control... which do you use for control? My setup is quite simple... TV, Apple TV, and Bose Sound.