No FM Radio in Nexus 5

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I got Nexus 5 and it does not have an App to play Local FM radio, even a 1.5 K phone will be able to play FM radio without any internet and why Nexus 5 does not have this basic feature ? Please help me with some suggestions/alternatives.

Thanks,
Shyam

tebore

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
They did it to save cost.
It's also clear that Google's move with the N5 was to push cloud service specifically Google's cloud services. The target of the N5 are developed nations with consistent and stable and widely accessible internet access which allows Google to push more ads and services.

The trade off was have an LTE radio with wide band support so it could push Google's Music services or put in an FM Radio which they wouldn't make any money off of it.

That's why even though android has more than 50% of the world's market share it still isn't as profitable as Apple's ~30-50% of the developed nations. Without cheap and stable mobile internet access Google can't really make money.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Radios are being phased out. In some countries they are disconnecting traditional for digital etc. Google is more pushing for cloud music and storagem

- Android Central App. N'oublions jamais l'Australie, Villers-Bretonneux. Prepare for January 26.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes no fm radio on this device. Aside from cost, I don't see many new devices being released with one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

jairusz

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I got Nexus 5 and it does not have an App to play Local FM radio, even a 1.5 K phone will be able to play FM radio without any internet and why Nexus 5 does not have this basic feature ? Please help me with some suggestions/alternatives.

Thanks,
Shyam

You should've checked if a smartphone will have a hardware feature you want before you make a purchase. But I understand where you're coming from, sometimes I wonder why I can't use my Nexus 5 as a ham radio.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I love FM Radio options, but it's been a long time since i've had a smartphone with it. I don't think Google left it out to cut costs, I think they left it out because they don't see the point when they're pushing Google Play Music and other streaming services.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You should've checked if a smartphone will have a hardware feature you want before you make a purchase. But I understand where you're coming from, sometimes I wonder why I can't use my Nexus 5 as a ham radio.
That's because you need cheese to go with that ham radio to make it work :p

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
They did it to save cost.
It's also clear that Google's move with the N5 was to push cloud service specifically Google's cloud services. The target of the N5 are developed nations with consistent and stable and widely accessible internet access which allows Google to push more ads and services.

The trade off was have an LTE radio with wide band support so it could push Google's Music services or put in an FM Radio which they wouldn't make any money off of it.

That's why even though android has more than 50% of the world's market share it still isn't as profitable as Apple's ~30-50% of the developed nations. Without cheap and stable mobile internet access Google can't really make money.

The $180 Moto G comes with an FM Radio, so no they did not do it to save costs.

tebore

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
The $180 Moto G comes with an FM Radio, so no they did not do it to save costs.

Moto G doesn't have a 4.95" 1080P Screen,
No LTE
8/16 Storage vs 16/32
No NFC
No OIS or BSI 5MP shooter.
Slower CPU/GPU/ Half the RAM
No AC Wifi / Single channel N.
No Qi charging

But you're right it has an FM radio. Totally the same league of phone and target market.

Also the Moto G is targeted for the emerging market where there's limited mobile internet. Exactly where FM radio would work but not cloud based storage and music.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
No LTE
8/16 Storage vs 16/32
No NFC
No Qi charging

But you're right it has an FM radio. Totally the same league of phone and target market.

Also the Moto G is targeted for the emerging market where there's limited mobile internet. Exactly where FM radio would work but not cloud based storage and music.

Here's a list of all the phones from 2013 with FM radios:

FM Radio phones

There's several flagships on there, such as the LG G2, Nokia 1520, HTC One Max, and Sony Xperia Z1. All of them have LTE, 1080p screens, and large internal storage.

So I'm not sure how expensive $600 flagship devices like these would do in emerging markets with that FM radio...

The lack of an FM radio is not omitted to reduce cost. Rather, it's been omitted to drive up revenue because consumers are forced to listen to Google Music and either purchase their songs or be exposed to advertisers.

In short, there's no FM radio because Google is greedy, just like how there's no microSD card expansion because Google wants you to spend $50 on 16 GB more storage and to use their cloud service.

tebore

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Here's a list of all the phones from 2013 with FM radios:

FM Radio phones

There's several flagships on there, such as the LG G2, Nokia 1520, HTC One Max, and Sony Xperia Z1. All of them have LTE, 1080p screens, and large internal storage.

So I'm not sure how expensive $600 flagship devices like these would do in emerging markets with that FM radio...

The lack of an FM radio is not omitted to reduce cost. Rather, it's been omitted to drive up revenue because consumers are forced to listen to Google Music and either purchase their songs or be exposed to advertisers.

In short, there's no FM radio because Google is greedy, just like how there's no microSD card expansion because Google wants you to spend $50 on 16 GB more storage and to use their cloud service.

You again answered your own question. Those devices are $600+ flagships. The N5 is a mear $399.99 they're taken it out to save money. Flagships typically take the give the consumer everything and the kitchen sink approach.
The N5 was designed very carefully to not include frivious things, but instead to promote the services and experience that Google wants the consumer to experience. Better camera was a top priority for Google. So they give the consumer a good camera, not the best but good. Faster internet and connectivity to push more services? Include AC wifi and an capable LTE radio with great power management.
And of course the LG G2 has an MSD card. Too bad we don't all live in Korea.

In Short: They took it out to save money and to push their own services which is what I stated in the first post.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Google subsidizes the Nexus 5. No phone manufacturer could sell you a 16GB phone with the specs of the Nexus 5 for $350. They would go bankrupt. And many other phone manufacturers charge a $100 premium over the 16GB price in order to get 32GB of storage.

The only reason the Nexus 5 can be sold for such a cheap price is because Google is subsidizing the phone so that android app developers will buy it and produce more apps. It is not intended to be a consumer device. It is a subsidized developer device.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Google subsidizes the Nexus 5. No phone manufacturer could sell you a 16GB phone with the specs of the Nexus 5 for $350. They would go bankrupt. And many other phone manufacturers charge a $100 premium over the 16GB price in order to get 32GB of storage.

The only reason the Nexus 5 can be sold for such a cheap price is because Google is subsidizing the phone so that android app developers will buy it and produce more apps. It is not intended to be a consumer device. It is a subsidized developer device.

I totally disagree.

The price is so low primarily because the phone does not have to support multiple levels of middlemen each getting a piece of the sale. The bulk of these phones are direct sale/direct ship from Google with little human contact anywhere in the transaction. Compare that to the way most phones are sold - in expensive storefronts with each sale eating up 30 to 60 minutes of some sales clerk's time. Then the store's cut of the sale price plus the carrier's ongoing cut. Pretty soon you are talking big bucks.

As to Google leaving out the FM radio to force users onto Google Play, that's just silly. There are any number of free or inexpensive options that do not involve Google services. Face it: FM radio is sinking fast, just like newspapers and print magazines.

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
You again answered your own question. Those devices are $600+ flagships. The N5 is a mear $399.99 they're taken it out to save money. Flagships typically take the give the consumer everything and the kitchen sink approach.
The N5 was designed very carefully to not include frivious things, but instead to promote the services and experience that Google wants the consumer to experience. Better camera was a top priority for Google. So they give the consumer a good camera, not the best but good. Faster internet and connectivity to push more services? Include AC wifi and an capable LTE radio with great power management.
And of course the LG G2 has an MSD card. Too bad we don't all live in Korea.

In Short: They took it out to save money and to push their own services which is what I stated in the first post.

Wrong once again, because even budget phones such as the Moto G have an FM radio. If a $180 phone can have an FM radio and still profit the company every time it sells, surely Google could have put an FM radio in the Nexus 5.

You seem to be going in circles with your logic. First you claim that the Nexus 5 doesn't have an FM radio to save costs. I disprove you by showing that even a $180 phone such as the Moto G has an FM radio, and every Moto G that sells profits Motorola.

Next you claim that the reason why the Moto G has an FM radio is because it's low cost and for emerging markets. I disprove you once again by showing that many flagship expensive phones have FM radios, and none of those would fare well in emerging markets.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
There are some local stations that I enjoy listening to, but unfortunately, I cannot access those stations on Tunein or Iheartradio. Having an FM radio avoids having to use data, and also in case of emergency where cell towers are down, the FM radio capability can truly be a lifesaver. My old Sony Ericcson feature phone, I think i300w, had FM radio. Some of the international versions of the Android phones have FM radio. Maybe an S3 variant or the prior HTC One (before the newest metal body), but I can't remember. I think I read on GSMarena that the LG Optimus Pro tested had an FM radio, but it may have been the international one.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

Thanks,
Shyam

TuneIn PRO is pretty good. You can set radio to record at a specific time. I get everything I need with TuneIn and Stitcher.

Posted via Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
No LTE
8/16 Storage vs 16/32
No NFC
No Qi charging

You think they'd put in all the things you mentioned above and leave out something like an FM radio in order to "cut costs"? I don't. It's easy to assign a default answer to everything Nexus and just say: "They did it to cut costs." I doubt that's true the majority of the time though. I understand there ARE trade-offs to making the Nexus so cheap, but if they left out an fm transmitter to cut costs why do the majority of other manufacturers leave them out too when cost isn't a factor? I think a more accurate answer would simply be: "Google isn't pushing FM capabilities like they are other music services."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03