Nexus 5 WIFI Speed Tests (Sky Broadband & Kitkat 4.4.2)

iku04108

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Folks,

Tonight I read that turning off mobile data and WiFi and then switching on WiFi on its on might be a fix.

Something to do with a power saving mode.

I have tried this and so far so good.

I will keep you posted.

Kyle

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
iku04108

Try running your speed test at some other place like a Starbucks since they always have a pretty good Wi-Fi. If you get the same slower issues at two or three places then it pretty much proves it is the Nexus 5 and not your router. Then you should just get it RMA.

nikon5400

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
iku04108

Try running your speed test at some other place like a Starbucks since they always have a pretty good Wi-Fi. If you get the same slower issues at two or three places then it pretty much proves it is the Nexus 5 and not your router. Then you should just get it RMA.

That's exactly what I did (in addition to tests at home). I used public wifi offered by xfinity to xfinity customers. N5 test results were much slower than Nokia 521

nikon5400

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Folks,

Tonight I read that turning off mobile data and WiFi and then switching on WiFi on its on might be a fix.

Something to do with a power saving mode.

I have tried this and so far so good.

I will keep you posted.

Kyle

Nope, doesn't work for me

Test 1. wifi and data on

Test 2. data off, wifi on

Test 3. turned off wifi and turned it back on. data is still off

These speeds are horrible. Sometimes I get up to I believe 5mbps. But signal is going through 3-4, may be 5 walls.
If I get upstarts, where router is, I'll get like 15mbps behind 2-3 walls.
It's just weird how same obstructions differently affect performance on these devices. that's why I suspect the N5 wifi receiver is under-powered.

And as I mentioned a few times already - same issue with hotspots. Download speeds may be much faster than these, but still much slower than on Nokia 521 and GS3

P.S. By the way, I'm assuming you turning mobile data off one of the two ways (which seem to do the same thing) -

Tap Settings.

1. Tap Data usage
2. Toggle Mobile data to OFF

---OR---

1. Tap More.
2. Tap Mobile networks.
3. Tap to check or uncheck Data enabled.

Last edited:

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Nope, doesn't work for me

Test 1. wifi and data on
Speedtest.net by Ookla - My Results

Test 2. data off, wifi on

Test 3. turned off wifi and turned it back on. data is still off

These speeds are horrible. Sometimes I get up to I believe 5mbps. But signal is going through 3-4, may be 5 walls.
If I get upstarts, where router is, I'll get like 15mbps behind 2-3 walls.
It's just weird how same obstructions differently affect performance on these devices. that's why I suspect the N5 wifi receiver is under-powered.

And as I mentioned a few times already - same issue with hotspots. Download speeds may be much faster than these, but still much slower than on Nokia 521 and GS3

P.S. By the way, I'm assuming you turning mobile data off one of the two ways (which seem to do the same thing) -

From the home screen, tap the All Apps icon.
Scroll to and tap Settings.

1. Tap Data usage
2. Toggle Mobile data to OFF

---OR---

1. Tap More.
2. Tap Mobile networks.
3. Tap to check or uncheck Data enabled.

I live in a 4,000 sqft home, with router downstairs. Wi-Fi speeds standing in the same room are 29/6. I went to the opposite corner of the house, upstairs and performed another speed test. Results were 26/6. Almost identical, tests run 3 times each location. Upstairs the Wi-Fi signal passed through 5 walls and the flooring, distance of about 80 feet.

So, based upon my results, I'd say the antenna in the N5 is fine. As good or better than my GS3 was. I travel a lot for my job, and I haven't noticed any problems in hotels or airports, and over the years I've found that the routers in hotels are generally pretty basic, low end models.

FWIW, my home wireless router is an Asus AC1900, with AiRadar (directional signal focus). The router makes a huge difference, as my last 4 yr old D-Link couldn't come close to these speeds, or strength of signal at distance (it was only a g, and wasn't dual frequency capable).

nikon5400

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Having great router at home won't help with hotspots. I also noticed speeds and distance improved after I upgraded firmware on my old D-Link 615R, but that won't help with hotspots and all other routers my N5 may be connecting to.

There's also a possibility our N5s came from different batches. I picked mine up at Best Buy, a sprint version.

P.S. Do you still have GS3? if you do, can you compare the speeds?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX