Nexus 5 or Moto X

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: NEXUS 5 or MOTO X

How can you be sold on the Moto X when you just listed specs that it does not have? Sounds like it's not the phone for you...

That's awesome. Someone calling themself The Libertarian telling someone else what they do or don't want. You can't make this stuff up!!!

Nokia 1520

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

That's awesome. Someone calling themself The Libertarian telling someone else what they do or don't want. You can't make this stuff up!!!

Nokia 1520

You're on a forum asking which devices to add to your collection. You're surprised I offered a suggestion based off your own desired specifications? You're right, you can't make this stuff up.

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

If you look at the original post instead of flaming each other you will see the specs that were stated were desired specs for the successor to the Moto X.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

If you look at the original post instead of flaming each other you will see the specs that were stated were desired specs for the successor to the Moto X.

In that case, the OP should wait until next August/September for the 2nd iteration of the X.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

exactly, thank you for paying attention b4 responding.

Nokia 1520

jaj324

Banned
Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

Exactly, than you for paying attention b4 replying.

Nokia 1520

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

I have an N4 right now, and I'm considering the Moto X over the N5. More horsepower doesn't mean much to me since I'm happy with my N4 performance with KitKat and ART, which is going to run real smooth without needing latest hardware, and I don't play high graphic games on my phone. Camera isn't that important for me. I like the idea of the Moto X having longer battery life which is more important, I miss AMOLED's deep black, and I'm interested in the low power CPU and always listening feature, which the Nexus lacks.

The thing stopping me from getting the MotoX mainly is the price isn't great compared to a Nexus (I know you can use the code), and there are are lacks of rom developers and as big of a 'hacking community' for it, which I've grown used to with my Nexus. Also I know it is more of a sideway step and maybe even downgrade in some aspect.
From what I have seen the prices are comparable. And if the features you listed really are the most important to you, there is not going to be anything better than the Moto X IMO.

As for unofficial support, I think it is safe to assume that the Moto X's insane popularity will ensure community support pretty much indefinitely. But as I found out the hard way with the HTC Rezound, Community support might not be enough. You still need source from the vendor to give them something to work with. Moto X is close enough to stock that this might not matter, but it will definitely matter more than with the Nexus 5.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site

It sounds like you have already decided on the Moto X, but I will put my two cents in anyway.

I have both. I like the Nexus 5 because I like Nexus devices. I like the large screen, though the phone is somewhat awkward to hold and use with one hand. I have small hands, but use the Note 3 comfortably.

The Moto X has been a pleasant surprise for me. I'm not a fan of Motorola phones from the past. I have only been using the Moto X for three days, so I don't know if there are problems waiting for me down the road. The small size of the Moto X also didn't appeal to me when I tried one in the store.

The pleasant surprises were the useful features (active notifications and always listening) that are there for you to use, but you don't have the intrusive look of a skin like you would with Samsung and HTC devices. It still looks mostly like a Nexus device. Even with the many features that the Moto X has, it is easy to set up the ones that you want and turn off the ones that you don't. The phone learns your behavior over time and makes suggestions based on your usage. While I like Samsung's Touchwiz skin, you have to dig through many settings to turn off features that defaulted to "on". The features of the Moto X don't seem to hog the resources in the same way that Touchwiz and Sense (especially) do on those devices.

Both phones are good. If you want a larger screen, go with the Nexus 5. If you want more features and the ability to customize the look, go with the Moto X.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

I have both, but I have decided that I will give up one of them. As much as I like them both, I don't need 2 high end phones. I already have a Lumia 520 as a backup. I ordered the N5 the first day. It's obviously too late to return, and if I sell, I'll probably lose about $50-$100 depending if I sell on Swappa or eBay. I'd rather not do the Craigslist thing, as it seems a little risky. Not sure what the going rate for a 32 GB black is. I missed out on the original Cyber Monday for a Developer edition. I'm within my window to return the Moto X. Although I really like the Moto X, it's not in my budget to lose $50-$100. I will most likely return the X. However, you can't really go wrong between the two. If I was in the situation where I had no phone and $400 to spend, I might lean towards the X. It's really a tossup.

I like the added features of the Moto X such as Active Notifications, Trusted Device, Always listening mic, twist to launch camera gesture. However, I'm not sure that I'd really use the Always Listening feature. I can reasonably replicate Active Notifications with Dynamic Notifications. I'm still testing out Tasker to replicate the Trusted Device. If not, I'll try Delayed Lock. It would be nice having these added features baked right in rather than having to load apps and tweak them. I prefer the screen of the X. Even though the colors may not be accurate, I like the saturated colors more than the washed out look of the N5.

Regarding the Nexus, I really like the N5's LED notification light, and the slight larger dimension. I wish the X had a notification LED as well, despite the Active Notification feature. Standby battery seems a little better on the N5, but it seems that the general consensus is that the X has better battery life overall. I like that the N5 will get OS updates first. It may be wishful thinking, but the N5 has the hardware capability for an always listening mic feature, but whether Google will implement it in the next major update, ?? 4.5, it remains to be seen.

As someone said above, it really depends if you value the added features of the X vs the faster updates, larger screen, higher specs of the N5.

Maybe in a few months, I'll dump the Lumia 520 and get a used Moto X when the prices continue to go down.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

No notification LED for the Moto X? That sucks, I've grown very used to it with my Nexus and customizing it with LightFlow. Are there customization you can do to utilize the AMOLED screen to mimic LED notifications (aside from the active disply), like battery charging or signal status?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I don't like Active Notifications except for turning the screen on without the power button. I don't like having to press the power button everytime I want to darken or wake the screen. But it's not as annoying on the n5 as on my f7 because the n5 has a much easier power button.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

The whole point of AMOLED screen and Active Notification is to get rid of LED. While you can use Dynamic notifications on N5, it will drain your battery because Moto X has different screen and special power saving CPU

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

The whole point of AMOLED screen and Active Notification is to get rid of LED. While you can use Dynamic notifications on N5, it will drain your battery because Moto X has different screen and special power saving CPU

Yes, I agree that the AMOLED screen is more suited for the Active Notification feature rather than an LCD.

On my N5, Dynamic Notifications doesn't seem to drain my battery much, but then again, I don't have it set for the "breathing" feature. With it on, on idle, my phone loses 0,5-1%/hr. However, I tested out DN on my X and turned off Active Notifications. The battery seems to drain faster than with Active 3-4%/hr vs 2% on idle. Dynamic Notification has more customizability than Active. I can set the color of the text, frequency of breathing, how long the notifications remain on the screen, background image, etc.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I agree that the AMOLED screen is more suited for the Active Notification feature rather than an LCD.

On my N5, Dynamic Notifications doesn't seem to drain my battery much, but then again, I don't have it set for the "breathing" feature. With it on, on idle, my phone loses 0,5-1%/hr. However, I tested out DN on my X and turned off Active Notifications. The battery seems to drain faster than with Active 3-4%/hr vs 2% on idle. Dynamic Notification has more customizability than Active. I can set the color of the text, frequency of breathing, how long the notifications remain on the screen, background image, etc.

Custom is good, but I think Motorola nailed it. I don't really need to make any changes. Plus the unlock feature is nice.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site

I had the Moto X on Verizon and it is a great phone but after my contract ended I finally said goodbye to Big RED and now am sporting a Nexus 5 on AT&T. I will miss Motorola assist but that is about it. The Nexus battery life has been comparable and there is something nice about having a pure Google device. Both phones are great and so you can not go wrong. my personal opinion is get the Nexus 5.

chr1sny

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I've had both phones, the Moto X while on Verizon and the Nexus 5 on T-Mobile. I think the Moto X is a great phone but I prefer the larger screen size and greater horsepower of the Nexus 5. I use media streaming apps like XBMC and Vulkano Player so those aspects of the Nexus 5 make a difference to me.

It's also very nice to have a phone that supports wireless charging. I've been missing that feature since I had a Palm Pre.

robstunner

Android Connoisseur
Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

Just ordered the moto x because the bamboo looks awesome and I had a $50 coupon (literally 2 hours before the $100 off 1/27/14 news hit) and am excited to compare. I've had a moto x before and stuck with the nexus but the signal that thing can hold is MUCH better than the nexus. In places I'd only get 2G on the nexus the X would be holding LTE still.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar