WiFi QR Codes

glc650

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Anyone get WiFi QR codes to work on their Nexus 5?

I've tried creating them for my WiFi SSID with two apps (QR Droid and Wifi QR Code Generator) but both codes fail to work when I scan them (using either the built-in scanner in QR Droid or Barcode Scanner) and hit connect to network.

QR Droid just says sorry could not add network and Barcode Scanner acts like it's adding it/connecting to it but nothing happens. And I've tried on two different Nexus 5s.

Thanks,

->g.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to know more about what exactly you are trying to do with your QR code; could you possibly map it out for me?

As to the exact problem, I would not be surprised if you are running up against a limitation of KitKat; many previously accessible functions are now blocked to apps...

glc650

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Maybe turn the security off on your Wi-Fi

Posted via Android Central App
That would defeat the purpose of the QR code in the first place. They are supposed to work with passwords anyway. There's a filed for security type and password when you generate it.

I'd like to know more about what exactly you are trying to do with your QR code; could you possibly map it out for me?
Convenience. I can just have guests scan the code off my phone and they are all set. No need to dictate the code to them or enter if for them.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That would defeat the purpose of the QR code in the first place. They are supposed to work with passwords anyway. There's a filed for security type and password when you generate it.

Convenience. I can just have guests scan the code off my phone and they are all set. No need to dictate the code to them or enter if for them.

Have you had a guest try scanning the QR code with his/her phone? Does it work on non-KitKat phones?

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Using WPS would be easier than QR codes and wider compatibility. Most devices today support WPS out of box (including N5). However, it does not resolve the security problem. If your guest has a laptop that was compromised with malware or virus, it could infect all the PCs in your LAN.

So, I never let guests use my protected LAN/WiFi. Instead, I use the guest wifi network with no passcode but turn on wifi isolation so that guests can only access internet, not any of my LAN resources. Most modern wifi routers have this feature built-in.

glc650

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Using WPS would be easier than QR codes and wider compatibility. Most devices today support WPS out of box (including N5). However, it does not resolve the security problem. If your guest has a laptop that was compromised with malware or virus, it could infect all the PCs in your LAN.
Don't really have any guests with laptops, just tablets and phones.

So, I never let guests use my protected LAN/WiFi. Instead, I use the guest wifi network with no passcode but turn on wifi isolation so that guests can only access internet, not any of my LAN resources. Most modern wifi routers have this feature built-in.
Only problem with this is anyone in the neighborhood can use my Internet connection then unless I remember to turn off guess access but even then people besides my guests can use it while it is on.

leonalewis

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Anyone get WiFi QR codes to work on their Nexus 5?

I've tried creating them for my WiFi SSID with two apps (QR Droid and Wifi QR Code Generator) but both codes fail to work when I scan them (using either the built-in scanner in QR Droid or Barcode Scanner) and hit connect to network.

QR Droid just says sorry could not add network and Barcode Scanner acts like it's adding it/connecting to it but nothing happens. And I've tried on two different Nexus 5s.

Thanks,

->g.
sorry,what's wifi qr code ? i never touch such a thing .just know qr code ,no wifi

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
QR code can be used to represent a URL or text string. Hence you can generate a QR code to represent your wifi passcode. With specialized apps OP mentioned, these apps can scan such QR code and use the recognized text string as wifi passcode to create new wifi connections automatically. The problem is KitKat probably changed or removed the wifi API these apps rely on to create connection entries.

leonalewis

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
QR code can be used to represent a URL or text string. Hence you can generate a QR code to represent your wifi passcode. With specialized apps OP mentioned, these apps can scan such QR code and use the recognized text string as wifi passcode to create new wifi connections automatically. The problem is KitKat probably changed or removed the wifi API these apps rely on to create connection entries.
wow, this is interesting to me at least !

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a WiFi QR code working in my guest room. Android users can scan it and join my network while Apple users can scan it, but they have to copy and paste the information into their network settings. It is still easier than me telling them the information. I have had no issues with any scanning apps or versions of Android or iOS. I recommend looking at how you generated your WiFi QR code. How did you generate it?

Update: I used a website to generate mine. I did it awhile ago, so I'm not 100% sure which one, but there are many available. Yes, I understand the security risk of giving that information to a website; however, I have other security things in place that I accepted this risk.

Jan Magne Skaue

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
If you want to use a website service for this, and is worried about some unethical indexing of your information:

Change your SSID. Some ISP routers have auto-generated and indexed SSIDs.
Use another internet connection when connecting to the website (eg. your phone's wifi hotspot). This way the route and IP cannot be traced back to the actual router in question.

Might be considered overkill, but these are simple steps for those that worry.