When will Nexus 5 come to Verizon?

steven0188

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't the nexus 5 will come to Verizon Wireless due to the fact that Verizon would not be allowed to modify it in anyway, it has to be pure android like Google intended it to be which Verizon will not allow

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
The N5 is not coming to Verizon. The way they handled the GNex was a debacle and a half, Google isn't going to deal with that BS. Plus Verizon can't put bloat on it. Also they don't support Google wallet, which could be another sticking point

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Google and Verizon haven't had the closest relationship in recent years. This comes after Google and Verizon locked horns earlier this year around the new Nexus 7 tablet. Google showed off Verizon support for the tablet when it was announced at I/O 2013, but the carrier said it wasn't a supported device and refused to activate the tablet after it launched. Verizon then quickly said it would be supported "soon," but we haven't heard anything since.

Nexus 5 doesn't support one of Verizon's LTE band 13. However it does support Verizon's 3G bands and their upcoming AWS LTE bands. So to say the Nexus 5 CAN'T work on Verizon's network is INCORRECT. It CAN work on Verizon 3G and AWS LTE. It is VERIZON who CHOOSES not to support the device at all.

Verizon has special drivers to gain access to their network. " Although the chipset/radio the nexus 5 uses may be compatible with the Verizon's network frequencies is will not work because the drivers (software) that are needed to communicate with those frequencies are not installed.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
The closest thing you are going to get to a Nexus phone on Verizon is the Moto X. As a substitute, it should suffice if you absolutely must have Verizon and can't or will not switch out to any of the other three national carriers. Verizon, while the largest US carrier and has the most extensive network, is also the most expensive and in my opinion falling behind the times a little when it comes to how the phone market is changing. People want to control their own phone experience, not have to put up with carrier bloatware or bs. The same thing applies to OEM skins. Manufacturers need to learn from Motorola/Google and carriers from T-Mobile.

Just my two cents.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
The is a very informative post from the Verizon Developer Community Forum about the Nexus 5 that is used in the rest of the world and is the same WTR1625L chip as the US version. Looks like the reason that Google has two models is so they were blocked from providing Band 13 that Verizon owns in the USA.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I agree that people are starting to select more phones that are debloated like the Moto X or the Nexus line.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If I recall, Google has already said the Nexus 5 is not coming to Verizon. I could be wrong, so someone correct me if that's no the case.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

dataz722

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Son of a *****! So I can't activate this phone bought through the play store on a Verizon account? I got this yesterday and had no idea. This really blows.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
If I had to guess, I would say that Verizon will never have the Nexus 5. That being said, what would a hypothetical Nexus 5 look like on Verizon?

It is almost certain that there will be some MyVerizon and contact backup assistant apps pre-installed (just like on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus).

I'm not sure how fast a Verizon Nexus 5 would get software updates. It will probably receive the updates faster than other Verizon phones, but it won't be as fast as AT&T, T-Mobile, and other non-Verizon phones. Then again, Verizon seemed to go against that trend when it released Android 4.4 KitKat relatively quickly for the Moto X.

There will be a Verizon logo, at least on the back of the phone.

These issues will probably be deal breakers for many customers, but maybe Google should just release a Nexus 5 on Verizon anyway. People will just need to rein in their expectations. If they still buy the phone and aren't happy, they can direct their complaints to Verizon.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Son of a *****! So I can't activate this phone bought through the play store on a Verizon account? I got this yesterday and had no idea. This really blows.
when you are on verizon, because verizon sends calls through its cdma network, you can ONLY buy phones that are specifically made for verizon's network.

so if you ever see a phone, if it doesn't say it is a verizon phone, don't buy it.

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
when you are on verizon, because verizon sends calls through its cdma network, you can ONLY buy phones that are specifically made for verizon's network.

so if you ever see a phone, if it doesn't say it is a verizon phone, don't buy it.
Considering how big them Verizon logos are you won't miss them either. ...Sorry, couldn't help myself.

dataz722

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
So what is the best alternative available on Verizon? I don't want a massive phone like the note, but I want one that is one of the most powerful out right now since I usually hold on to phone for about 3 years.

I was set on the N5 so I haven't really looked at much else. Would the X be my best bet or is there something else I should look at?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
So what is the best alternative available on Verizon? I don't want a massive phone like the note, but I want one that is one of the most powerful out right now since I usually hold on to phone for about 3 years.

I was set on the N5 so I haven't really looked at much else. Would the X be my best bet or is there something else I should look at?

The Motox is good but if you're going to use it for three years, less good.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37