SwiftKey vs Standard Nexus 5 Keyboard

p3ntyne

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I keep seeing people drooling over the SwiftKey Keyboard app. Heck, it's in Alex's "Editors' top apps" article:

Editors' top apps: Alex's picks for 2013 | Android Central

I'm now to Android phones, but this standard keyboard app that comes on the Nexus 5 seems perfectly fine to me. What's the advantage of SwiftKey?

I also think the standard one is perfectly fine, in fact, I like it better -I guess swiftkey did give more accurate word suggestions though. (And maybe those funny shaped keys were supposed to make a difference too.)

Posted via Android Central App

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to Android phones, but this standard keyboard app that comes on the Nexus 5 seems perfectly fine to me. What's the advantage of SwiftKey?

I use SwiftKey, but I started back before Google keyboard was as good as it is now. The big thing for me at the time was the sliding feature, which the stock keyboard now has.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

net62957

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I like the customization that comes with it especially enlarging the keys and the different themes. The predictive text seems uncanny at times.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
SwiftKey has a great prediction engine. It's not for everyone. But those who don't like the stock keyboard, or want something with predictive text, SwiftKey is a good alternative.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

ptonantryloc

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I've got to admit, the stock keyboard's predictive abilities have not seemed all that great to me. I hadn't seen that there was a free trial version. I guess I'll give it a try and see how it works.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've got to admit, the stock keyboard's predictive abilities have not seemed all that great to me. I hadn't seen that there was a free trial version. I guess I'll give it a try and see how it works.

Yes, try the trail and see how it works for you. It's a great keyboard, so hopefully you like it. Also, I think the app is on sale right now during the holidays.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
For me at least, the Google keyboard's gesture typing is much better than that of swiftkey. With the Google keyboard, I can miss a letter or two and the guesses are still good. With swiftkey it seems I have to hit every key correctly while swiping. I ended up uninstalling the trial version.

alexlam24

Banned
Oct 18, 2012
Visit site
I like stock because it is much better at remembering words, but it lags horribly on my phone. Swiftkey has horrible gesture typing. Swype seems to be the best right now. It just needs to have a dedicated tablet format. The current split screen keys are tinier than a proton.

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile

flipped4dinc

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I like everything about SwiftKey except when fighting the prediction engine for specific spellings and punctuations that you want to have. I kept trying to to type "Ralphie!" and SwiftKey kept insisting upon "Ralph in.".

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I like the customization that comes with it especially enlarging the keys and the different themes. The predictive text seems uncanny at times.

That is for sure about predictive text seems uncanny at times. Some times I only have to hit one or two real letters and then my whole message is just selecting the words Swiftkey predicts for my full message.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I bought Swiftkey and Swype and tried them for a while to see why everybody keeps raving about them but I find the stock keyboard better.

Those others were clearly better back before Google added all the same functionality to the stock keyboard. Even though that is not the case anymore, user's consensus is slow to change particularly when people have "invested" into those apps.

gidgiddonihah

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I keep seeing people drooling over the SwiftKey Keyboard app. Heck, it's in Alex's "Editors' top apps" article:

Editors' top apps: Alex's picks for 2013 | Android Central

I'm new to Android phones, but this standard keyboard app that comes on the Nexus 5 seems perfectly fine to me. What's the advantage of SwiftKey?

I was too lazy to read the entire thread :p, but SwiftKey is frigging amazing. I have converted several friends over who don't ever drop money for apps. They love it and couldn't go back. It does have some frustrations when it tries to outsmart itself but for the most part I can't stand using other people's phones because I can't stand the stock keyboard. I can type the first word of a text and then just keep hitting the spacebar to have it enter my entire text word by word. No joke. Just in case people are wondering I don't work for them, I'm just a seriously bedazzled customer :).

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Kii. It's completely free and is basically stock android keyboard plus. Everything about stock plus a ton of extra features. It's really the best overall keyboard out there.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I tried swiftkey, it's flow typing was horrible! It kept making mistakes. I tried it for 6 or 7 months. It just never beat out the N5 stock keyboard

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I can type the first word of a text and then just keep hitting the spacebar to have it enter my entire text word by word.
You must be very predictable :p

I prefer swiping for my text input. I tried Swiftkey not long ago when it was free from the Amazon app store and its "Flow" feature was just horrible to use. Swype really does that best, which isn't surprising since they have been doing it longest. I tried the Nexus 5 keyboard for a couple of days when I got my Nexus 5, and while it is a decent keyboard there are refinements Swype has which make it nicer to use when you are familiar with them, noticeably the stock keyboard doesn't show you what symbol will come up with a long press of a key whereas Swype does.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Ice_Cold_Q

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
What do you guys think about the Fleksy keyboard? Currently my main keyboard and it's quite nice, not perfect but getting there, it hasn't got swype capabilities which I miss the most but then again this keyboard cannot have swype capabilities because of the way it functions, other than that it needs to improve the prediction software as sometimes it is just barbaric! It is however the BEST looking keyboard out there, period! Especially on the nexus 5

clemson77on

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I've used Google, Kii, and Swiftkey and here's my 2 cents worth

Kii has unmatched customization, but IMO the word predictions aren't as good as Swiftkey
Swiftkey like some have said is almost creepy at how well it predicts words, but has lag when closing out of an app
Google has made lots of improvements to their keyboard, but correct me if I'm wrong, the predictive text is missing in a lot of apps, whereas it's everywhere with Swiftkey and Kii

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy