damn you otterbox

cliro

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I normally get an otterbox whenever I get a new phone and was disappointed to find out that they did not make a case for this phone.. What gives??

Posted via Android Central App

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Nothing is similar to the Otter. I don't know why everyone says that. I've used Spigen, Seidio, Incipio, TPU variations, official OEM's, and nothing has been anywhere as good as the Otterbox cases. I wish they'd make one for the N5 as well but they only care about Apple devices and just toss out a few Android cases here and there based on hype and popularity.

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Nothing is similar to the Otter. I don't know why everyone says that.

+1

We'll just have to be patient....and careful for now. A pebble watch may be useful in the meantime to keep your phone tucked safely away [ and receive incoming through the watch] until you actually need to make a call or send a message.

Michael_CS

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm the same... I am an Otterbox fan but alas they didn't have it so I went with the Spigen SlimArmor and that seems to do the trick.

flipped4dinc

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm the same... I am an Otterbox fan but alas they didn't have it so I went with the Spigen SlimArmor and that seems to do the trick.

I love my Slim Armor too. I understand wanting the indestructible feel of an Otterbox, but not my bag. I used to be that way with Sport Walkmans of eras past (remember those things?).

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I love my Slim Armor too. I understand wanting the indestructible feel of an Otterbox, but not my bag. I used to be that way with Sport Walkmans of eras past (remember those things?).

Patiently waiting for an Otter box, too. When you need protection for a phone (and I do in my line of work), only the best will do. Still haven't found a case as good as the Otterbox.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Look at iBlason from amazon, I was surprised with what I got for what I paid.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I looked at it, but I wasn't too keen on the built-in kickstand and the thickness it adds. Or is there another case I'm overlooking?

cliro

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
The ballistic is nasty compared to the otterbox. Tried it on my phone at the store and hated it. Found a fairly nice tpu case that has a black border and clear back so I will just use that till I find something decent. Hear aegis has a nice case coming soon!!

BillClark22

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Bought the iBlason Transformer case that is a hardshell with holster and kickstand. Must say I LOVE this case. Can't stand to have a phone in my pocket so I wanted a holster and it adds very little bulk to this phone. The case has a good texture to it and it fits the holster nice and snug and is easy to remove. All for $10.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't like when i'm talking to people about cases and they brag about how awesome their case is that they got off Amazon for 2.99. I bought a Samsung flip cover case for my GS3 about a year ago and it was a cheap knockoff for $20. I'm not saying all cheap cases on Amazon ARE knockoffs, but I have tried about 6-8 different cheap-o varieties and none of them have left me impressed. Well......actually the first one I bought did. But then when I shelled out the $$$ for an Incipio, I was forever hooked on quality cases. If my entire goal was to save money, I would've gotten a Moto G or a basic pre-paid phone instead of the Nexus 5. So why worry about saving $20 and getting a nasty case instead of Otter, Spigen, Ringke, or the like?

I pay $400 for a phone, I'm not going to hedge at spending $35 to keep it protected.

BillClark22

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Sure, you can pay more for a "better" case, but what's the point of having a nice, slim smartphone just to put a brick-case around it to protect it. Why even take it out of your house then, or the box? Nothing like holding a brick to use your shiny new smartphone. I guess those brick-cases could be used in self-defense, or to throw through your car window when you forget your keys. I wanted a slim case that wouldn't add bulk but give it some protection as I'm not prone to throw my phone around or back over it with my lawnmower or other things that a brick-case can defend against. Also, a holster is a must for me. I found the iBlason case that was inexpensive and had the features I wanted and I don't feel the need to say "look at my cool Otter case, watch me throw my phone around because I can." My .02

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Sure, you can pay more for a "better" case, but what's the point of having a nice, slim smartphone just to put a brick-case around it to protect it.

I think there are some places to draw a line. I normally go with Otterbox Commuter, for instance. As you keep going up their lineup, it can admittedly get bulky, heavy and difficult to use.

But as for those slim phones--I always wonder how many people actually use them "naked." They are slick and easy to drop. They are flimsy and fragile. They may also be $500+. The best reason to have a slim phone is so you can put a nice case over it and not have it be too bulky! ;)

BillClark22

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I always wonder how many people actually use them "naked." They are slick and easy to drop. They may also be $500+. The best reason to have a slim phone is so you can put a nice case over it and not have it be too bulky! ;)

You are exactly right...the phone "naked" was SLICK! Had to use it that way for a few days before I got the case and was extremely careful with it. Now it is still slim, but the case has a nice textured finish that is easy to grab and hang on to and I'm not nearly as worried. Probably have no use for the built-in kickstand, but it doesn't add bulk and doesn't get in the way of normal operation.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I normally get an otterbox whenever I get a new phone and was disappointed to find out that they did not make a case for this phone.. What gives??

The nexus phones don't sell enough volume for Ottetbox to be interested in making cases for them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Sure, you can pay more for a "better" case, but what's the point of having a nice, slim smartphone just to put a brick-case around it to protect it. Why even take it out of your house then, or the box? Nothing like holding a brick to use your shiny new smartphone. I guess those brick-cases could be used in self-defense, or to throw through your car window when you forget your keys. I wanted a slim case that wouldn't add bulk but give it some protection as I'm not prone to throw my phone around or back over it with my lawnmower or other things that a brick-case can defend against. Also, a holster is a must for me. I found the iBlason case that was inexpensive and had the features I wanted and I don't feel the need to say "look at my cool Otter case, watch me throw my phone around because I can." My .02

Obviously we're not talking to the people who hate cases. We're talking to the crowd who like cases. And i'm fine with bulky cases if the case is made to look very nice and high quality and adds something to the look of the phone (unlike the cheap $2 crap on Amazon that looks like a slim piece of shiz). If you like cases, but prefer the slim ones, that's fine. That's why I mentioned how much I loved Incipio and Spigen. They make amazing quality slim cases. The whole point of a case is to protect the phone. I get that you're mocking the idea of throwing your phone around, but hey....if the case can withstand that, great! In my opinion, I want the device to look great, and be protected. Which is why I buy the Commuter series and not the defender series. If someone else is THAT worried about adding slight bulk to the device, don't put a case on it!

anon(8256055)

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site

Because some people work in harsh or construction environments. Shouldn't take too much thought to figure that out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12